PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Colts

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I don't know if there's anyone else that would be a good candidate, I'm just tired of the same coaches.

This season probably isn't helping his resume', but Chad O'Shea is the current WRs coach/passing-game co-ordinator of the Brownies...

This season probably isn't helping his resume', but Chad O'Shea is the current WRs coach/passing-game co-ordinator of the Brownies...
Look..it's Rocket Boy...he's NOT an O co-ordinator at this level.THAT is the primary problem this offense has.

Bottom line is that our O has regressed, not gotten better. O line play has been poor, Mac's play has not been good, and the coaching on O has been...., can we say, less than inspiring? It's a great time for the break and hopefully we can get some **** done over the ensxt two weeks to fix it.

That's my yellow arrow. Dude is WIDE OPEN.

View attachment 47123
Yes, Bourne eventually gets open. The point Dan was making is that having plays that wait that long to develop when all you need is four yards is not good playcalling. Yes, Mac could have moved in the pocket to buy himself more time and that’s on him, but this big play downfield stuff is killing us when dink and dunk can get it done.

Hell, Adam Archeletta was saying it while calling the game... the playcalling is giving Mac nothing underneath to throw to. When they switched to shorter, quicker-developing stuff against the Colts is when they started to move the ball at all.

Last edited:
Like I said, he walked himself right into it. You can see how clean the pocket is in the below sequence of still images. If he had just made a subtle step-up, while keeping his hips and eyes downfield, and pivoted to his right in rhythm, he had an open Bourne for the 1st down.

Instead he walked himself into pressure, didn't leverage his blocks or the angles of the pass-rush to create time/space, and squared his hips, completely throwing him off. There is ample protection on this play and he had a lot more time than he thought. Jones makes life much tougher on his OL with how he moves and manipulates angles/leverage of his blocking.

This is the type of stuff that can be easily chalked up to poor pass protection ... until you actually watch a quarterback who is savvy in the pocket and realize it doesn't have to be this way. Jones just isn't good at this stuff at all; it's a huge weakness of his (pocket presence/movement/awareness).

You don't know where Bourne was in his progression, early in the play all he sees is a mass of Pats and Colts players

1668005706658.png

Bourne wasn't open early in the play, then Mac looks for the 1 on 1 on the outside and its not there

Also the DT was stunting, so even if Mac tried to scramble outside the pocket to the right he would have been gobbled up by that defender unless he pulled a Lamar Jackson/Justin Fields type move

This was the pocket 1 second after the above screenshot:

1668006538794.png

The offense is concerning, as is Mac's development, but I think people are jumping to conclusions way too quickly. Zappe had 2 good games against trash defenses where the running game was kicking on all cylinders, but the 2nd half of that Chicago game showed how ugly he can look as well.

I'm of the mindset that you don't invest the 15th overall pick into a QB and give up on him in year 2... thats just crazy, unless there are glaringly obvious flaws they're now seeing in his game that they feel cant be corrected

They need to give Mac this entire season, even if he loses every single game and breaks the record for interceptions in a season... you have to see it thru this season to be sure what you have (or dont have) in him..

I also agree with others, if they actually thought Zappe was the silver bullet to solve all of our offensive woes, he would be in there faster than you could say Zappe.

Ultimately I hate the QB drama, especially seeings how its only year 2 of Mac and we saw 2 games worth of Zappe which is not even close to enough to get a picture of what he is as a QB. Makes no sense that people seem so convinced one way or another on him after the extremely limited playing time he's had. You stretch out his play over a 17 game season with the rookie wall factor, etc and it probably looks dramatically different. I'd also wager that Mac has a better understanding of the offense, so more of the playbook is opened up to him (regardless of the fact that we may have issues at OC/playcalling)

I just want the team to get better and ultimately don't care who ends up being their QB as long as its the best person for the job. I don't really understand the factions that form in these threads of Zappe vs Mac, etc.. Sometimes it feels like people care more about being "right" than wanting the team to do well

You don't know where Bourne was in his progression, early in the play all he sees is a mass of Pats and Colts players

View attachment 47130

Bourne wasn't open early in the play, then Mac looks for the 1 on 1 on the outside and its not there

Also the DT was stunting, so even if Mac tried to scramble outside the pocket to the right he would have been gobbled up by that defender unless he pulled a Lamar Jackson/Justin Fields type move

This was the pocket 1 second after the above screenshot:

View attachment 47131

The offense is concerning, as is Mac's development, but I think people are jumping to conclusions way too quickly. Zappe had 2 good games against trash defenses where the running game was kicking on all cylinders, but the 2nd half of that Chicago game showed how ugly he can look as well.

I'm of the mindset that you don't invest the 15th overall pick into a QB and give up on him in year 2... thats just crazy, unless there are glaringly obvious flaws they're now seeing in his game that they feel cant be corrected

They need to give Mac this entire season, even if he loses every single game and breaks the record for interceptions in a season... you have to see it thru this season to be sure what you have (or dont have) in him..

I also agree with others, if they actually thought Zappe was the silver bullet to solve all of our offensive woes, he would be in there faster than you could say Zappe.

Ultimately I hate the QB drama, especially seeings how its only year 2 of Mac and we saw 2 games worth of Zappe which is not even close to enough to get a picture of what he is as a QB. Makes no sense that people seem so convinced one way or another on him after the extremely limited playing time he's had. You stretch out his play over a 17 game season with the rookie wall factor, etc and it probably looks dramatically different. I'd also wager that Mac has a better understanding of the offense, so more of the playbook is opened up to him (regardless of the fact that we may have issues at OC/playcalling)

I just want the team to get better and ultimately don't care who ends up being their QB as long as its the best person for the job. I don't really understand the factions that form in these threads of Zappe vs Mac, etc.. Sometimes it feels like people care more about being "right" than wanting the team to do well

You left out a very important moment in that sequence of still images of the pocket. Jones walked himself right into the pressure. The pocket was more than fine. If he hadn't panicked, kept his feet calm, and just made a subtle step up, he had plenty of time to hang in and make a clean throw (ideally to an open Bourne).

2d70998d89.jpg

I think he’s saying more than that — that Jones was ready to throw it quickly, but in the play design only one of the four receivers was even looking for the ball at that point. The play design (or execution by the receivers) led to a lot of slow developing routes, yet the intention was for a quick hitter. That completely unacceptable, and responsibility falls on the Patriots coaching staff. Either they designed terrible routes, or they didn’t coach the players well enough on the option adjustments. One thing for an isolated incident, but Orlovsky claims it’s all over the film.

While Orlovsky claims that only 1 (Meyers Bourne) is looking for the ball, that's not true. The outside receiver at the top of the screen was looking for the ball as soon as he started his break. Hunter Henry wasn't looking for the ball and neither was the receiver at the bottom of the screen.

Orlovsky DOES point out something troublesome. Why were there 3 guys all in the same area (Meyers, Henry, outside receiver Bourne)? That's not on Mac. That's on the play design or on the receivers.

Last edited:
In the game day thread at 1:43, I commented on a play where the Colts defenders just leveled Tyquan Thornton on a passing play. During the re-watch, I think the play was on 2nd & 9 from the Colts 37 at 14:16 in the second quarter. It was a pass to Meyers. But Thornton runs downfield out of the camera so I can't see what happened. Can someone look at the All 21 footage and see this play and tell me why that wasn't at least illegal contact? Maybe I missed something.

In the game day thread at 1:43, I commented on a play where the Colts defenders just leveled Tyquan Thornton on a passing play. During the re-watch, I think the play was on 2nd & 9 from the Colts 37 at 14:16 in the second quarter. It was a pass to Meyers. But Thornton runs downfield out of the camera so I can't see what happened. Can someone look at the All 21 footage and see this play and tell me why that wasn't at least illegal contact? Maybe I missed something.
just checked the play, on 2Q 14:16, Thornton was not leveled or either touched at any point during his route, must be a different play you are referring to

just checked the play, on 2Q 14:16, Thornton was not leveled or either touched at any point during his route, must be a different play you are referring to

Thanks for checking... I couldn't find another play where Thornton ran off screen during my re-watch but then again, I spend most of my re-watch time looking at the OL and watching the blocking. Live, it looked like he got caught setting a screen and the Colts CB or safety just ran into him and knocked him down. It really looked like a flag should have been thrown there but I don't know if the ball was already caught by someone else at that point.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back