PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Colts

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Stevenson should have had another receiving TD and Thornton should have had 1 as well. Jones just sailed the ball over both of them.

I will say though that colts defense held the chiefs to 17 points so it wasn't like it was the lions d or something
Was that in the 1st half? I wasn't able to watch until the 4th quarter.

A lot of negativity in this thread, so how about this: the 2020 draft is starting to look really good. Onwenu and Dugger were already hits, but Uche and Jennings have played pretty well this year. Sometimes it just takes time for players to adjust to the NFL and find roles that suit them; that looks like what happened with the latter 2. Uche’s best day as a pro today.

We really didn't know what we had in Jennings. He played out of Position his rookie year, filling in for Hightower. He missed last year with an injury

Uche missed the 1st 6 games of his rookie season. Which also was the Covid fiasco year. He missed games last year as well with Injury. He seems to finally be settling in.
They both looked good in the 4th Quarter both with and without Judon on the field.

I was frustrated with Thornton today. It wasn't all play calling. Thornton didn't dive for that crossing route early, it hit his feet and he didn't even lunge to pretend he was trying for it. That was bad effort. Then, the TD shot to the left pylon it appeared he did slow up in the middle of the route. That's a play that Brady would be swearing up and down. There was one more target that just seemed that he wasn't giving everything. To be getting all of Agholor's reps, you better give 100% every play!
The above doesn't bother me that much (although it did a little, nonetheless), but I really wish he'd get off the line much quicker (reaction time). That stat last year where (especially) Bourne and Meyers were the fastest 1sec post snap is because there's not the slightest bit of dawdle for them.

mac just does not look confident behind the line, unfortunately he does not seem to have poisure to step up, move in the pocket or avoid the rush, he just seems lost, ducks down way to early in the eye of passrush or moves like a chicken without a head comletely lost...now it comes partly of the poor play of the OL but also of poor scheme for him, as a coach you gotta help your players out, offensivly i don't see that, at times its mindblowing how bad and predictable the play calls are, thats also part of the RZ issues, you have some nice big weapons and you don't use them at all

But coming back to mac, the lack of confidence is actually multiplaying his issues, his inner clock is way faster than the passrush actually is at him, leading him to lock on first read no matter if 2nd or 3rd read are open by a mile, he does not progress there at all bc he feels the rush but not in a positive way, partly the OL looks bad as well bc of macs pocket presence and inability to manover within the pocket without panicking, i am no expert but to me it seems as it is a mixture of bad experience, lack of confidence(mental), bad technic

I am not for zeppe nor for mac, just saying what i have seen so far and i liked zeppes pocket awerness and movement way better than macs, next to him having a better sense for the pass rush, a lot of work ahead of the O, hope they improve and figure it out (with a real OC/QB coach
I dunno, I think these defenses are getting to Mac much too quickly, he's not dumping it unnecessarily soon. In fact he's on the verge of getting hit most of the time as he releases it. Much of it is the OL, and that the run game is sporadic, and part of it is the sequence of play calls.

What a defensive performance!!! BB against a young, inexperienced qb just isn't fait!!! It feels great to go into the bye week above 500!!!! Special teams was great this week, Folk is automatic, Marcus Jones is very impressive.

Offensively, we need the bye week. Hopefully, Andrews will come back, we'll put Ferentz back on the bench and we can start playing better all around on that side of the ball.

In the NFL, it's always good to get a win!!!! We need the bye to get healthy and then it's the Jets.

Let's discuss!!!!!!
Always the optimist... The truth is this is the Cam Newton scoring offense .. they only win when the defense gives them a gift in field position. Your best offensive player is your kicker

Cajuste is back.

We need Andrews back.

Wynn is back to the left side.

Only for a few series. Wynn actually got away with illegally blocking downfield on a passing play.. I was surprised it wasn't called. After that play, Strange was strangely back on the field..

Unless they fix the o-line, there is no QB who can do well in this offense. How many first downs today did the Pats run the ball and get stuffed at or behind the line? That isn't on Mac Jones. When you are consistently having 10-12 yards on second down, you are already putting the QB behind the ball.

Jones had his problems today, but he was also hindered by a miserable o-line and some crappy play calling.

Look at some of the first downs today:

• 1st & 10 at NE 25​

(14:54 - 1st) R.Stevenson left tackle to NE 23 for -2 yards (D.Buckner).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 9
    (11:15 - 1st) R.Stevenson up the middle to NE 4 for -5 yards (B.Okereke).
  • 1st & 10 at IND 38
    (14:54 - 2nd) K.Bourne right end to IND 37 for 1 yard (R.McLeod).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 34
    (13:14 - 3rd) J.Taylor right tackle to NE 31 for -3 yards (G.Stewart).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 32
    (8:23 - 4th) J.Taylor left tackle to NE 30 for -2 yards (G.Stewart).
When you are running on first down and you aren't getting yards or losing yards, that is the o-line and the play calling.

Drew Brees says Hi

People always like to say Drew Brees, but he is one out of 100s. So we want to take a chance with a less than a 1% chance? Statistically it is really unlikely a QB that is less than or equal to 6' tall will be successful.

Mac seems broken and is not seeing the field like he did last year, literally trying to win games without a quarterback right now

I think that we should create subforums for Mac, Zappe to go along with the TB12 forum so that every thread does not get polluted by this constant *****ing about the QB. The offense looked terrible because the OL was bad and the Colts defense was good. End of story. Anyone who thinks differently should take a look at what is going on in Tampa Bay. Good win today, I hope that the team gets healthy and is able to regroup after the bye week.

35 years as a season ticket holder, and I have to go back to **** McPherson or Rod Rust teams to see a worse offense.

The D played great, and I will take the win, but our offense is horrible !

If it wasn’t for Stephenson…. There would be no offense.

Please bring back Josh McDaniel when he is fired.

Anyone care to give some philosophy behind red zone woes? Patriots have been able to move down the field the past two years, we just often come away with 3.

Furthermore, red zone scoring is lower it seems across the board. Have teams started to capitalize on a byproduct of the offensive changes?

Really good Special Teams performance today in all phases (except for one punt). I think that debacle vs. the Colts last year was fresh in memory.

I really don't recall this many negative running plays in a game before. Must have been close to a dozen. Colts have a good run defense, but clearly our makeshift O-line was an issue.

And speaking of offensive struggles:

Boy Genius took a playoff team from last year, supposedly added a number of pieces to it and now has them 2-6.

Yep. I understand. I'd also forgotten that Patrick Graham (whom I really like) is their DC. But they added Rob Ryan as a "Consultant". Personally, I've never liked him. But whatever.

Excellent post.

I've noticed an improvement in your content and level of obedience lately.

We appreciate you bending the knee.
Thank you for the high praise because it really means the world to me.

I owe it all to you and Ashley though. This Pavlovs dog thing really works.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back