PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Chargers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I can only hope they are saving these wrinkles for the stretch or something. Other than one quarter against the jets they’ve barely done anything creative with Jonnu, what a waste thus far (not knocking Jonnu because he’s actually flashed big play potential many times and could be worth it if utilized correct )
It's a lot harder to install this offense with that many new guys rather than 1 or 2, especially when your rookie QB is learning it for the first time. My judgement of Smith will come towards the end of this year/next year.

It's not Jonnu's fault the oc has him playing fulllback. No clue how to use a 2nd TE. You can tell regardless of personnel the oc only feels comfortable using 11-personnel spread shotgun. Always goes away from 12 personnel after the first 10 scripted plays. It was a total waste signing a 2nd expensive TE knowing the oc.

NEM

It was great to see Mac Jones have an off game and still pull out the win. But I have to wonder if the coaching staff didn't tell him to get rid of the ball quicker to avoid any more blindside hits. Some of those quick releases were obviously not the play as called or else you wouldn't be hitting the receiver in the back.

I am about to give up understanding what defensive pass interference is. Clearly, grabbing a receiver by the arms is now OK. As is grabbing them by the hip and spinning them away from the ball. Which brings up the next point...

Jalen Mills had me thinking he was turning the corner. He played pretty good... until he didn't. That last TD was terrible, especially with the way the refs were letting stuff go. Grab the receiver's arm. Spin his hips. They were letting it go all game. Grrr. I still cling to the hope that Mills is going to "wake up" a la Stephon Gilmore in 2017.

After that first TD run by the Chargers, I was pretty upset that the refs didn't blow the whistle for forward progress stopped. Now, I'm wondering if Belichick is going to put a new play into the playbook where he has FB Johnson blocking in front of the RB and pulls both tackles & guards to push the runner into the end zone. Just get a big pile of fatties behind him and shove him in. Seems like that's OK now? Of course, the RB might pop like a glow stick under all that pressure. :)

I still cannot understand how the heck this team lost to the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Now, I'm wondering if Belichick is going to put a new play into the playbook where he has FB Johnson blocking in front of the RB and pulls both tackles & guards to push the runner into the end zone. Just get a big pile of fatties behind him and shove him in. Seems like that's OK now? Of course, the RB might pop like a glow stick under all that pressure. :)
:rofl:

It was great to see Mac Jones have an off game and still pull out the win. But I have to wonder if the coaching staff didn't tell him to get ride of the ball quicker to avoid any more blindside hits. Some of those quick releases were obviously not the play as called or else you wouldn't be hitting the receiver in the back.

I think Hunter Henry is supposed to see the blitz and change his route which he did not do. Mac assumed he was going to turn around like Henry was supposed to, but Henry didn't so the pass hits him in the back. I think Mac executed the play that was callled, Henry did not adjust.

He's going to play against us next week. No reports of a new contract, so pressumably he's going to play for Carolina for the same money that he wouldn't play for in NE.
But he didnt want to play here for the same money. At least from whatever i have read. Definitely wouldnt have played happily.

My general thoughts feel critical, although I'm really pleased with the game.

It's still very disappointing to see simple tackles and bad positioning lead to a 75 yard touchdown run that should have been less than 10.

It's still very disappointing to see a promising drive stopped by a fumble.

Yet the team overall showed a lot of determination and never gave up.

The OL provided decent amount of time to Jones and good run blocking.

The DL provided some key pressures, and the DBs provided good coverage, plus of course AP's two INTs.

The LBs still seem to be a weakness.

PFF says:

Ref: NFL Week 8 Game Recap: New England Patriots 27, Los Angeles Chargers 24 | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

STs provided the FGs and some great field position via Olszewski.

Coaching overall seemed to keep Herbert fairly confused.

As usual, there were some really mysterious play calls from Josh, but it seems he's willing to take more chances than he was earlier in the season.

Let Mac cook! :D
Does PFF not cover Special Teams? As a result of this game, Gunner is now the all-time Superbowl-era punt return average leader.

I'm not going to hit you with a negative icon. I disagree with you about your C rating. To me it's exaggerative garbage to heap All Pro QB expectations on a ROOKIE qb 8 games into a season with a lousy OL, 2nd and 3rd tier WR's,one reliable RB and a leaky secondary. No, it wasn't a 54-13 blowout of the Jets but it was a QUITE SATISFYING performance by the kid given all the attendant circumstances. Feel free to continue rating his play as you do, just permit ME the luxury of my opinion.
No one is trying to heap "All Pro QB" expectations on a Rookie QB. Everything else you posted is a red herring. It has ZERO to do with the actual Chargers game and how Jones played.

You can have YOUR opinion all you want. But don' sit there and make crap up about what others are saying. Which is what you're doing. That's Deus/DKF type garbage and you know it.

I think Hunter Henry is supposed to see the blitz and change his route which he did not do. Mac assumed he was going to turn around like Henry was supposed to, but Henry didn't so the pass hits him in the back. I think Mac executed the play that was callled, Henry did not adjust.
That's happened a lot to Mac this season with these receivers who need to be always aware of what Mac might do. Even Damien Harris failed to look at Mac on the screen play last week even though he had as blocker in front of him.

But he didnt want to play here for the same money. At least from whatever i have read. Definitely wouldnt have played happily.
Gilmore had a great run here but you don’t give big money to 31 year old cornerbacks, especially when you are in a rebuild mode. Better to clear the cap space to build in the future with up and coming players. I think we will see some significant retirements on defense after this season, and once again the will be flush with cap space to continue the rebuild.

Gilmore didnt really want to play under the current pay. his pup was a soft holdout. He wouldnt have played today if he was on the pats.. no way pats were paying a new contract to a 31 yr CB.
You do realize that it's the TEAM DOCTOR who decides whether or not a player is physically fit to participate in practice, right?
This idea that Gilmore on the PUP was a "soft holdout" isn't supported by the actual NFL CBA.

While Gilmore didn't want to play under the current contract, he was negotiating with the Patriots and they with him. They reached an impasse and the Pats traded him.

These claims about the Pats weren't going to pay a new contract just aren't supported by facts since they were negotiating with Gilmore's camp up until the trade.

I think it's weird that they unleashed all of those trick plays vs a terrible Jets team and nothing yesterday (other than the tricky "we absolutely should run here but let's throw it to no one instead" play).

the GDT was a real sewer of kneejerk idiocy today...good Lord what an awful experience

I rarely go there. I enjoy the chatroom though. It's strange how the two are miles apart.

I think it's weird that they unleashed all of those trick plays vs a terrible Jets team and nothing yesterday (other than the tricky "we absolutely should run here but let's throw it to no one instead" play).

I wonder if they respect Staley more as a defensive coach, and figured his guys would be less likely to bite on it, especially having seen a lot of trickery on tape the week before.

Gilmore had a great run here but you don’t give big money to 31 year old cornerbacks, especially when you are in a rebuild mode. Better to clear the cap space to build in the future with up and coming players. I think we will see some significant retirements on defense after this season, and once again the will be flush with cap space to continue the rebuild.

McCourty was 32 when he got a two-year extension that was among highest paid safeties. Why make that deal if a traditional age cutoff automatically means you shouldn't give someone big money? It's fine if you think Gilmore was no longer worth that money, but merely being 31/rebuild is a contradiction of the way the team just handled a similar situation.

McCourty was 32 when he got a two-year extension that was among highest paid safeties. Why make that deal if a traditional age cutoff automatically means you shouldn't give someone big money? It's fine if you think Gilmore was no longer worth that money, but merely being 31/rebuild is a contradiction of the way the team just handled a similar situation.

Safeties have a longer shelf life than CB's in general, which is why many corners convert to safety in the latter parts of their career.

I’m guessing he is a slow learner?
On the contrary.. He's supposedly exceptionally bright.. Barmore's biggest red flag was lack of experience. He had all of 3 seasons of Actual game playing.. So he's still learning the position. Someone started a rumor that Barmore couldn't take coaching. Saban shot it down. His position coach said the rumor was ridiculous. As did his HS coach. Bedard is an ass and refused to acknowledge it.

Jeff Howe did an excellent story on Barmore this past May in the Athletic. I believe he also did a story on Perkins who also had some red flags.

I think the more root question is "does" Brown come back? (I remain thoroughly unconvinced) As for your ask however, they were already rotating Herron for Wynn yesterday which would be supportive of your theory.
I didn't see a rotation of Herron for Wynn. I heard Herron report as eligible several times when the Pats went to Jumbo packages. This is supported by the fact that Herron only had 8 snaps on offense.

Is that the rule though? I can't find anything like that the rulebook. Just says that a safety happens when a foul occurs in the end zone, not when QB is in the end zone.

I think Van Noy was held in the end zone and maybe that's what Bill was told to challenge but the flag was for Onwenu and that happened at the 3 yard line.
As it turns out, that's exactly what Belichick was challenging according to his Presser today. He thought they'd made the call on Theiler holding Van Noy.. And he stated he should have been more clear to the Ref.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back