PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL Post Game Thread - Patriots Fall to Chiefs 27-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Actually, I didn't think the OL was terrible. The Chief's blitzed mercilessly. The interior held up better than I expected. Tackles gave Zappe room to move up. We didn't adjust well enough. QB didn't get an accurate pre snap read, that was obvious a few times. RB didn't make the right read on the blitzer. QB didn't hit the back before the sack. Not certain if their play calls adequately accounted for the blitz. Maybe receivers were not reacting to the blitz. However, the only way to defeat a blitz is to beat it and we didn't seem to have the answer yesterday.

The 2021 NFL draft had a pile of crap for QBs except for Lawrence who is all hat and no cowboy.

Jax, Indy and Houston all tied at 8 - 6 in the AFCS.
That’s what concerns me because all the talking heads were comparing the 2021 QB class to the 1983 class, and as you said the class was a bust, and yet here we are the talking heads in the media pumping up a couple of the QB’s in this draft.

That’s what concerns me because all the talking heads were comparing the 2021 QB class to the 1983 class, and as you said the class was a bust, and yet here we are the talking heads in the media pumping up a couple of the QB’s in this draft.
Exactly. Top 3 QB’s make me very nervous. I mean…both Mahomes and Rogers were later in rd 1AND sat a year. Even Herbert hasn’t been otherworldly.

I complain about people here drafting in hindsight but in this case, I have to do it myself...

You do realize that the QB picked at #15 in the 2021 NFL draft has as many Pro Bowls as all 4 of the QBs picked before him? So if the Patriots had lost more games in 2020, they would have had drafted who then? Justin Fields? Trey Lance?

The draft is a crap shoot and a higher draft pick is never any guarantee of a better player.

If you're going to measure success by pro bowls then you probably aren't the one who needs to be making the decisions on the approach.

The numbers don't lie. Statistically the higher you pick the better the player is.

Again - what are you talking about?? I was responding to this:

He is saying that we should have tanked in 2020 to pick a better QB in the 2021 draft. There wasn't a better QB in that draft. Period.

History has shown that any QB taken in the first round is no guarantee that he'll be any good.

These are awful takes because it doesn't account for the fact that we have 3 damn games left with nothing to play for and the higher you pick the better your chances are.

That's just a fact. It's not subjective

You wanna win your way out of pick 2? Then you're the reason we're stuck in the merry go round if mediocrity. That should get Bill fired alone.

If you're going to measure success by pro bowls then you probably aren't the one who needs to be making the decisions on the approach.

The numbers don't lie. Statistically the higher you pick the better the player is.

I don't normally do this type of post but I have to ask - where are these numbers you speak of? Because most of the things I've read say that this is simply not true. The success rate of all players drafted in the first round is not that high and it gets worse when you limit that to QBs.

These are awful takes because it doesn't account for the fact that we have 3 damn games left with nothing to play for and the higher you pick the better your chances are.

That's just a fact. It's not subjective

You wanna win your way out of pick 2? Then you're the reason we're stuck in the merry go round if mediocrity. That should get Bill fired alone.

But where the Patriots end up picking has nothing to do with it being the right pick. The first pick could be the next Tom Brady. The first pick could also be the next JaMarcus Russell or Jeff George or Tim Couch or even Baker Mayfield - all high picks who did nothing. Mayfield still has a chance to turn his career but I'd guess not much.

I don't normally do this type of post but I have to ask - where are these numbers you speak of? Because most of the things I've read say that this is simply not true. The success rate of all players drafted in the first round is not that high and it gets worse when you limit that to QBs.

It was on one of those shows on sports Boston.

The numbers aren't great. It's a crapshoot as you said.

But it was clearly better odds if you're picking tip 3 than mid round.

It's not like it's week 1 and I'm advocating for tanking an entire season.

There's 3 games left. Our season has been truly awful.

Just finish the job so we don't have to do this again every year.

I'm starting to get to the point where the NFL is completely turning me off. The constant coverage of that no-talent lipstick covered ostrich Taylor Swift is nauseating enough on it's own, but it's the officiating with refs puling phantom calls out of their asses to decide games , The officiating in the Pats/Chiefs game was a joke and only came about because the Chiefs and Mahones whined about the Toney offside call (which of course he was). The refs went out of their way to make sure the Chiefs got all the calls yesterday?

I never used to complain about the refs because most of the time the calls eventually even out, but this season it has just become a joke. It's making the games unwatchable.

I'm starting to get to the point where the NFL is completely turning me off. The constant coverage of that no-talent lipstick covered ostrich Taylor Swift is nauseating enough on it's own, but it's the officiating with refs puling phantom calls out of their asses to decide games , The officiating in the Pats/Chiefs game was a joke and only came about because the Chiefs and Mahones whined about the Toney offside call (which of course he was). The refs went out of their way to make sure the Chiefs got all the calls yesterday?

I never used to complain about the refs because most of the time the calls eventually even out, but this season it has just become a joke. It's making the games unwatchable.
The refs are part of but not the only reason the Pats lost.

Swift is a talented businesswoman who does, in fact, have talent. I don't like her music but clearly a lot of people do.

I have to say I can’t really refute the comments that it felt like tanking in the second half. There was no urgency. But I just question why Bill would tank if he wasn’t going to be here next year. Maybe he already knows he’s not going anywhere and wants to lock up at least pick #2.

I cannot see Kraft telling Belichick that it is ok that the Patriots go 3-14 and his job is safe. I cannot see any chance that Bill will be back with a 3-14 record. Or a 4-13 or 5-12 record either.

I think the only way that Belichick's job could be safe was if they built on the Steelers win and at least had a competitive loss yesterday. And that didn't happen.

I cannot see Kraft telling Belichick that it is ok that the Patriots go 3-14 and his job is safe. I cannot see any chance that Bill will be back with a 3-14 record. Or a 4-13 or 5-12 record either.

I think the only way that Belichick's job could be safe was if they built on the Steelers win and at least had a competitive loss yesterday. And that didn't happen.
I thought things were trending that way in the first half, but they started to backslide in the second half and Bill seemed complicit in it and did little to try to turn it around. Makes me scratch my head.

I thought things were trending that way in the first half, but they started to backslide in the second half and Bill seemed complicit in it and did little to try to turn it around. Makes me scratch my head.
I don't want us having anymore accidental wins we NEED Real Talent.

No one can cone out and admit they are tanking because Goodell will take away draft picks …….but they are definitely tanking and I bet Kraft is on board with it and Bill is complicit.
3 rbs and one is a jag they pucked off waiver wire, the other a practice squad guy.
Not giving Cunningham or Grier a chance to play?
The players will try their hardest but Bill is tanking and at this point its best for the team

Personally, I never really thought the Pats were going to win that game even when they had a lead. Their scoring drives were a 61 yard TD drive and an one yard drive drive that started on the Chiefs' eight and ended in a field goal. I always figured the Chiefs would pull it together long enough to put the score out of reach. Once the Chiefs scored back to back before and after the half, I knew the game was over.

I felt the Patriots were way too conservative on offense even when they had that one and only scoring drive that started on their end of the field. Even on that drive, all the passes were conservative short passes except for the last scoring play to Henry. Belichick was conservative on offense from the get go. It was just more effective in the first half. The only time he was aggressive was that one play on 4th and 2 on that scoring drive.

Positive note…rewatching some clips and Alex Austin actually played decently given the circumstances. That hold call was chickenshit .

Positive note…rewatching some clips and Alex Austin actually played decently given the circumstances. That hold call was chickenshit .
I said in another thread, another example of Bill and staff finding a late round rookie gem. He looked solid. Was not even drafted here.

I said in another thread, another example of Bill and staff finding a late round rookie gem. He looked solid. Was not even drafted here.
It’s so odd…how can they be so good in late rounds/udfa, yet so badly botch earier rounds? Confounding.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back