PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Giants @ Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Fundamentally, this argument isn't actually about Meyers. It's the yearly cycle of people wildly overrating the potential of younger skill position players just because they haven't gotten a chance yet.
What I mean is it started out as a small minority (including myself) that believe Meyers is not a guy who should get the most touches and needs to slide down the totem pole. Not only are people hoping on the train, but they are taking it to another level suggesting to trade him. I’m in the camp of keeping him, but I’d like to see him in more of a Jabar Gaffney or Amendola type role.

What I mean is it started out as a small minority (including myself) that believe Meyers is not a guy who should get the most touches and needs to slide down the totem pole. Not only are people hoping on the train, but they are taking it to another level suggesting to trade him. I’m in the camp of keeping him, but I’d like to see him in more of a Jabar Gaffney or Amendola type role.
Agreed. He shouldn't be your WR1 but suggesting that he weakens patriots receiver position and has nothing to offer when all that he has done is getting better and better each season. God forbid they trade him and we lose our safety valve , all naysayers would reverse their opinions and blame belichick for trading ...

No it isn't, but I think that Monty's a player on the decline and is somebody I never would've considered targeting during the offseason... But that's why they play the games...
Rare concession by you. I've often wondered how you feel when some draft pick or free agent pick up does well after you've publicly predicted they will fail miserably. Do you feel embarrassed -- or just happy to be wrong? Do you learn from those mistakes?

Using hindsight to criticize the order of draft picks is a fool's exercise, as it is a rare pick that couldn't be bettered by picking someone available later. Notably, every pick in the first 5 rounds of the 2001 draft was arguably a mistake in retrospect because Brady was available.

Could you tattoo that on @captain stone ??? He's made a living at it for 15+ years

Rare concession by you. I've often wondered how you feel when some draft pick or free agent pick up does well after you've publicly predicted they will fail miserably. Do you feel embarrassed -- or just happy to be wrong? Do you learn from those mistakes?

Happy to be wrong if he helps us win games that matter... Then I try to learn what about him I under-valued and what physical or athletic limitations I over-emphasized in lowering my expectations...

He has the potential to be Drew Brees, he has the potential to be Drew Lock... nobody knows what he will become. That's the thing about the future... it's unwritten.
Drew Brees has 571 TDs and over 80,000 passing yards. Drew Lock has 21 NFL starts. It's pretty safe to say Zappe has zero potential to be Drew Brees. He also probably has little potential of reaching 21 career starts.

Drew Brees has 571 TDs and over 80,000 passing yards. Drew Lock has 21 NFL starts. It's pretty safe to say Zappe has zero potential to be Drew Brees. He also probably has little potential of reaching 21 career starts.
Do me a favor and give me a week by week rundown of who is going to win?

I’d like to profit from your ability to see into the future.

Do me a favor and give me a week by week rundown of who is going to win?

I’d like to profit from your ability to see into the future.
So you actually believe Zappe has the potential for 500 career TD passes? And there's obviously a huge difference between picking all games and projecting the potential of a single player. An undersized rookie quarterback with a modest arm on a team already with a franchise quarterback entering year two.

So you actually believe Zappe has the potential for 500 career TD passes? And there's obviously a huge difference between picking all games and projecting the potential of a single player. An undersized rookie quarterback with a modest arm on a team already with a franchise quarterback entering year two.
I think he has the potential to do whatever Brees did physically, but if he becomes 60/70% of Brees he’ll still be a good or serviceable QB in the league. He could also crash and burn and stink up the joint. Only one of us is pretending to know the future.

I could just use the Crawfish and Captain Stoned method and suggest everyone the Patriot’s draft sucks.

The average NFL career lasts 3 years, a third of the league is made up of UDFA’s. Draft picks are scratch tickets, it’s easy to say everybody sucks and be right more often than not.

That doesn’t take any skill, imagination or require any risk whatsoever, it also underscores a clear bias.

I think he has the potential to do whatever Brees did physically, but if he becomes 60/70% of Brees he’ll still be a good or serviceable QB in the league. He could also crash and burn and stink up the joint. Only one of us is pretending to know the future.
Only one of us is being realistic.

I can picture you in 2000 telling me a 6th round pick on a QB is wasteful because it’s unrealistic.
I'm ok with a backup quarterback being taken in the late 6th round. Also, you're talking about the luckiest pick in the history of life. In the sports world Brady is literally a unicorn with magical powers (as you like to say).

I'm ok with a backup quarterback being taken in the late 6th round. Also, you're talking about the luckiest pick in the history of life. In the sports world Brady is literally a unicorn with magical powers (as you like to say).
Yeah... he had magic powers, he wasn't just a talented guy put in the best situation possible.

I like Meyers. It seems as though many see him as the equivalent of going 9-8, 8-9, 7-10 or having Kirk Cousins at QB. He is what he is…which is a solid receiver that has chemistry with Mac.
I like Meyers a lot, unfortunately that doesn't mean much in contract negotiations.

Yeah... he had magic powers, he wasn't just a talented guy put in the best situation possible.
The team was 5-13 with Brady holding a clipboard. The $100 million dollar quarterback was taking the franchise nowhere.

The team was 5-13 with Brady holding a clipboard. The $100 million dollar quarterback was taking the franchise nowhere.
Let's please move on from this discussion. If there's anything about the first pre season game you'd like to discuss or add, please do so, but otherwise this isn't the place to be carrying this particular debate.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back