PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inadequately coached game played by mentally unprepared players, none of whom were good enough to make a play when the team needed it. Meyers catch excepted.

Jack Jones made a rookie mistake. He’ll learn. But what is the excuse for spotting Miami 7 points just before the half? Huge play and the DBs quit on it.

The offense mostly looked like slow, confused, hot garbage. Somebody in the GDT correctly noted that they have no playmakers. 271 yards, 3 turnovers and 7 points. Come on.

Mac's arm looked bad. Real bad. The throw to agholor which was fumbled was a pretty bad throw. Too high not giving time for agholor to tuck. If Mac is gonna throw hospital balls or just soft short balls it's going to be a long season.

I felt his deep throws were all rainbows . I don't feel confident. Mac can only do short throws which means we need to play mistake free football as every freaking drive is over 6 minutes . Not at all promising .

If we have a below 7 win season I can see the seat under belichick become super hot . Belichick has just 2023 season to get the ship back on track , else it's curtains .
Bill will never be fired but I bet he will retire soon either way.

Think Stillers are tougher coming off a tough loss or a close win over the great Bengals?
Cincy has turned it over 5 times and had an extra point blocked and a missed 20 yard FG and still can't put them away in Cincy. Tribisky is hot garbage and will be what keeps them out of the playoffs.

What was everyone’s thoughts on Mac’s arm strength today? I was only able to watch in spots. Did it appear stronger or about the same?

At first glance, I feel the team overall looks better than the past two iterations (2020, 2021). They look a bit bigger, stronger, faster at defensive front-7. The offense seems a bit more opened up, they have some legitimate talent there. The OL, arguably the biggest question-mark, performed relatively well with the exception of Trent Brown taking a vacation for a few snaps. LG-C-RG is rock solid. Even though they lost that game, I didn't get this sense of inevitability watching the game that they were less talented and doomed to slowly but surely lose, as was the case over the past couple seasons.

That's not to say they're perfect. While I like Mac, he needs to focus on staying calm and focused on his mechanics throughout the entire game (a legitimate QB coach would be nice). A bonafide, longer-term solution at LT needs to be sorted out by 2023. I like the RBs and receiving talent a lot.

Defensively, I liked what I saw from the DL but need to see it against a better OL. LBs were better, not perfect. No idea why Tavai is ever on the field for anything other than ST snaps. DBs were OK. Jon Jones is good. Jack Jones looked like he belonged. Dugger flashes, as he usually does (I want to see him playing harder more often, though - he seems to go from 70-95 a lot ... needs to be running at 85-90 more often). McCourty still seems to have it. Hope Phillips' injury is shorter term.

Mills to me was the biggest headache on the defense. Gesticulating before the snap, jumping around, rarely seemed set and squared up prior to the snap. Yes, they were playing a lot of zone but he just seems to always be a step behind any play in his direction. Maybe he could be a competent slot/robber, but he doesn't seem to have the aptitude for playing boundary CB. Let Jack Jones get those snaps instead - if there are some growing pains, so be it.

Putting aside observations about the team, the game itself was decided by a couple plays, namely the strip-sack and the before-half TD. Those two plays won Miami the game; take either or both away, and this one is close to the end. Obviously those plays count, but IMO it wasn't like Miami was consistently the better team on a snap-to-snap basis ... they did however make several critical plays at critical moments in the game that resulted in points. Tua also did his usual routine of making a few ridiculously accurate throws that he only seems to make against the Pats.

I'm pretty optimistic. I think the team is tracking in the right direction relative to past seasons. There were a lot of kinks, some early-season rust, and there are some personnel weaknesses, but to my eye they just looked better and more talented than in recent seasons, in a way that's hard to tangibly describe but you know it when you see it. Given the circumstances I'm not devastated about this outcome. Pittsburgh should be a better matchup for a lot of reasons, from scheme to climate. If the team doesn't build on the potential they showed today, and turns-in a few more clunkers through the first month, then I'll be legitimately frustrated and concerned. For now, I think there were actually a lot of positives from that game and plenty of season ahead to look forward to.

What was everyone’s thoughts on Mac’s arm strength today? I was only able to watch in spots. Did it appear stronger or about the same?
Stronger but I don't like his mechanics. He seems to fan his arm out and over rather than inside and tight. It causes a lot of air to go under the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
We saw inside draws on 3rd and long with MCD, it isn't like that is new...we cursed THEN.
Those weren’t draws we were running. The 3rd and 4 was a dive.

I have not been impressed with Mac since that windy game at the Bills last season. I thought his work with Tom House will have brought outs some velocity but seems his accuracy for shot passes have been impacted by whatever they did this offseason.
That is the exact moment I lost faith in Mac truly being "The Guy". I feel like we can win maybe even a sb with him, but somewhat in spite of him. I feel like he is our own Alex Smith and we are waiting to give him the boot when the next Kapp or Mahommes comes along.

Inadequately coached game played by mentally unprepared players, none of whom were good enough to make a play when the team needed it. Meyers catch excepted.

Jack Jones made a rookie mistake. He’ll learn. But what is the excuse for spotting Miami 7 points just before the half? Huge play and the DBs quit on it.

The offense mostly looked like slow, confused, hot garbage. Somebody in the GDT correctly noted that they have no playmakers. 271 yards, 3 turnovers and 7 points. Come on.

I did say this team doesn't have enough playmakers in the GT. They just have too many holes on offense. I think Meyers and Parker are solid, and the running game was okay for a little while but this offensive line is so bad Jones is in for an uphill battle. On top of that we don't even know if Jones is the guy anyways.

It just could be a few years before this team contends. Honestly at this point and I know he has help but someone needs to take over the drafting from BB

I donno if you are serious or trolling , nevertheless pile on.. looked rank bad..
He’s a patronizing troll that should’ve been banned a while ago.

The Patriots offense produced roughly similar stats to Miami's. I thought they looked decent moving the ball. The strip-sack and Agholor fumble were backbreakers.

Idk tough to say. Probably better than every QB whos worn a Buffalo uniform in the last 20 years except for Bledsoe

I think this is a fixable team.. Max Jones needs time to throw and he got ZERO from his OL. It’s fixable .. I am still ok. No defribrilator needed yet.

I actually thought the OL looked pretty solid. Got hit a few times but it didn't seem to be in shambles. Trent Brown fell asleep a couple times, need a long-term solution at LT that isn't him moving into 2023, but I felt encourage. Strange-Andrews-Onwenu is a solid interior. Wynn seemed to put in a quietly solid showing. The pressure seemed to be more the result of miscommunication/bad IDs/pickups than getting beat 1-on-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents