PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

And, like I predicted (like the last 3 years) the run defense sucks on ice and it will need to be revamped. Hightower is done. DMac done as well. Godchaux is a JAG. I would be happy if the Pats spent their entire draft on OLine and DLine. Those were the most glaring pieces missing today. Build a team to beat the Bills just like the Bills built a team to beat the Pats.

Allen sandbagged us in his cold games leading up to that one. Lol

What the hell happened to the defense. I understand that they weren't the beaters we thought, but that does not explain that limp ****ed effort. That screams coaching error.
Judon ran out of gas, that's a big part of it.

What the hell happened to the defense. I understand that they weren't the beaters we thought, but that does not explain that limp ****ed effort. That screams coaching error.
Massive flaws, a couple important injuries, and really good execution by Buffalo. Our defense doesn’t know how to play from behind. Very one dimensional.

Steve Belichick and his meth head looking face need to go. How the heck is he calling plays, what credentials does he have besides being Bills son?
Do you really think that Bill will fire one of his sons?

Do you really think that Bill will fire one of his sons?
Whether he’s fired or not I guess I don’t care. What I do care about is him calling plays, he blows at it.

I missed the game and watched it afterward...two things happened. I asked why the defense didn't start playing with energy and violence, and I started skipping forward around the 20-0 mark to see if it got better. I wound up just spending the next 2 minutes skipping ahead to that terrible final score.

It's the lack of effort and complete lack of fight in the defense that bothers me most.

Like someone else said...this feels like 2009. Kinda backed into the playoffs and laid a massive egg. Hopefully we can keep retooling the team and get back to serious contention within a couple years. The rebuild, in my opinion, is slightly ahead of schedule.

Enough redshirting... get the defensive rookies game reps ... I want bledsoe, mcgrone and uche to be key players. If they fail so be it.

Better to experiment and figure out team combination next year rather than playing with veterans and getting eliminated in playoffs. I am okay with a 8-9 no playoff season provided we unearthed 10 future starters from our rookie and sophomore class.

After this game, I now think JC won’t be back. They could franchise him or sign him long term but it would take up too much of their cap space and they need a lot of guys. Not a ton of “stars” but several positions need to be shored up and it doesn’t make sense right now to use that much capital on one player this off-season, unfortunately. I feel like they’d be better off with a lot of OK defensive backs playing more zone, vs trying to go man so much with 1 elite CB and a bunch of relatively poor guys below him.

I think the offense is what it is to an extent for 2022. Maybe they try to make a deal for a #1 WR that doesn’t hurt their 2022 cap too much but I doubt it. Chances are the corps at WR and TE will largely be the same, but I don’t have a big issue with that - with another offseason together and more experience and chemistry in the offense, they should be fine there. It’s really the defense that needs a massive youth injection.

I refuse to believe Buffalo is elite solely because of this game. Still think KC or Tennessee with Henry will beat them.

I think Cincy can do it too just for the fact that they can get into a shootout with Burrow/Chase leading that tandem.

They need to find a WR1, and they need to decide whether or not they think Bourne can be a legit WR2. In an ideal WR world, they'd slot Bourne and Meyers as the WR3/WR4 guys, but they likely won't invest the money at the top for that.
Yep, They have 30M in cap Space next year with basically all defense to rebuild. Bill will not invest 15-20M in a WR1. The probability that nothing change or very little on offense is very high. Next year could be a tough year.

I don’t know, ask Bill! He is the one responsible for the defense

They were badly shorthanded, had to activate CB Bausby and DB Ross from the practice squad. Jalen Mills out on the Covid list; Barmore, Guy, Hightower, Phillips, Duggar and Collins were playing hurt along with a couple others. Even then, they didn't show much fight.

Enough redshirting... get the defensive rookies game reps ... I want bledsoe, mcgrone and uche to be key players. If they fail so be it.

Better to experiment and figure out team combination next year rather than playing with veterans and getting eliminated in playoffs. I am okay with a 8-9 no playoff season provided we unearthed 10 future starters from our rookie and sophomore class.

5-12 is a lot more likely than 8-9 next year.

They lost Gilmore and Jones. On top of that, Mills was out for tonight. That basically destroyed the CB group.
The linebacker corps needs a complete brooming.
They need to replace Godchaux, and they probably need another DT on top of that.
They need to find someone who can make at least a replacement level effort as the pass rusher opposite Judon.
McCourty's in decline and needs to be either transitioned or replaced.

That screams personnel to me, not coaching.

Last edited:
After this game, I now think JC won’t be back. They could franchise him or sign him long term but it would take up too much of their cap space and they need a lot of guys. Not a ton of “stars” but several positions need to be shored up and it doesn’t make sense right now to use that much capital on one player this off-season, unfortunately. I feel like they’d be better off with a lot of OK defensive backs playing more zone, vs trying to go man so much with 1 elite CB and a bunch of relatively poor guys below him.

I think the offense is what it is to an extent for 2022. Maybe they try to make a deal for a #1 WR that doesn’t hurt their 2022 cap too much but I doubt it. Chances are the corps at WR and TE will largely be the same, but I don’t have a big issue with that - with another offseason together and more experience and chemistry in the offense, they should be fine there. It’s really the defense that needs a massive youth injection.
makes sense. sign more middle of the pack younger Line backers and corners. if we can get another pass rusher to pair with judon while decent linebackers with tackling capabilities, we can do without superstar CBs. when QBS like allen have 5 seconds what can JCJ do.

I cannot help but compare the old great comedic group Not Ready for Prime Time Players to our Saturday Night Live Patriots playoff game. Buffalo has successfully clawed its way back towards the top of the NFL mountain. I’m still gonna love our Pats and be grateful for titles.

After a couple of days to post mortum, I’d love to have a thread on the 2022 offseason and, knowing what we’ve learned about him over the years, what we would do to retool the roster using his parameters. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I agree with your sentiments on JC - Bill is not going to tie up virtually all the team’s cap space on JC, and he doesn’t think he’s good enough to pay top dollar to either. I think he walks, Bill signs a couple veteran retread CBs, and spends his 1st round pick on a CB (McCreary or Gardner?).

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back