PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

If the Steelers lose (they’re going to), does a win over Jax clinch a playoff spot?
I think it does but I'm unsure. The only way I can find to bump the Pats out of the playoffs with a win against JAX and loss to MIA is with the Steelers beating KC plus additional other games. Basically PIT has to win out against KC/CLE/BAL, CIN has to win 1 game against either KC/CLE, and MIA would have to win out across its next 3 games vs NO/TEN/NE. That just barely would bounce NE out of the playoffs.

AFCE is out of reach now, IMO, BUF would have to collapse.

Question is can we get our act together in time to beat JAX (probably) and MIA (who knows?).
Win against Jax
Loss against Miami
…..and that will bring Doofins into play with us in playoffs which was my prediction watching them win 6 in a row. NO needs to kick their asses tonight!!

Pretty clear that we have one way of playing - ball control offense, playing from in front and taking time off the clock, and then allowing us to force some turnovers on D. When we start slow, it's over. Mac has had a promising season but he's not ready to lead victories himself. He still doesn't seem to have timing right with half of his receivers and he rushes his throws under pressure. He'll learn but he's still developing right now.

The D is good when we can get teams to do what we want them to. We've always struggled against mobile quarterbacks who can extend the play - Wilson, Dak, Allen, Mahomes - even Cam back in Carolina. And obviously we struggle to stop the run, which teams will do a bit more when in front.

Going on the road and winning three times in the playoffs seems completely unrealistic right now. I'd just like to see us have a get right game next week and blow out the Jags.

The 8 game winning streak spoiled a lot of people. A lot of us forgot that this rebuild will take years rather than happen overnight. Paying a good, but not great, corner top of the market money would be very un Belichick like. Most likely, Bill will attempt to develop the next man up. Why overpay when you are not a contender? It has nothing to do with what else is available.
I would think the plan would be to attempt to fill the holes this offseason that we see right now. (Defensively that would be the front 7, safety assuming Dmac doesn’t return and offensively a stud wr and OL depth.) This is the time to spend on quality players with the qb on a rookie deal.

Just for perspective - if I came to you at the end of the last game of last year's 7-9 mess of a season and said "Hey, next year the Pats are gonna draft a QB in the first round, spend a bunch of money in free agency, split their games with the Bills and win 11 games en route to a wild card berth", I would imagine you'd be damn happy about that! That's a very realistic outcome for this season.
Hell, I'd have been happy if you'd just told me they would move on from Newton.
It's basically year one of the rebuild. You can pretty much throw away last season as they just weren't ready for life after Brady.

Anything that references one of the funniest scenes in movie history gets a "winner" from me

This team is heading to the wrong direction. A few games left to make a u turn.

Let’s face it, I think some of my fellow Pat’s fans jumped the gun. Some of you went overboard, talking about a SB run, possibly facing Tampa. I always felt that was silly based on the evidence. I don’t blame you, the 7 game winning streak was exciting, but that 4 game stretch was just too tough for this team.

I always said this was a rebuilding season, and not only that, rebuilding season with a rookie QB. Mac needed to have a great game, he didn’t. He’s a good young QB, but not ready for prime time just yet. Who knows who he’ll become, but it has been a solid rookie year, better than any other rookie QB this season. This was the game he needed to make a statement, he didn’t, came up way short. But hopefully he improves every year.

I said before this 4 game gauntlet of games, 2 against Buffalo, one vs Tennessee and one against Indy, I’d be happy with a split. We got the split. IF we make the playoffs, it’ll be much further than I expected. I felt we would go 9-8 or 10-7, I felt this team was 2 games better than last year. But this is not an elite team. I think they are headed in the right direction, and I have hopes for the next few seasons.
When we ran off that huge winning streak it definitely created some unrealistic ideas about SB….I never thought we would get to SB this year …..an ultra elite defense would have been REQUIRED with our conservative/game management O…..like 2001-04 with Brady….but this D is very inconsistent….got rid of Gilmore which definitely weakened the secondary and quite often can’t stop the run……I am hopeful for Mac and for a rookie season he’s done well…..whether he has big game, elite potential only time will tell!! Go Pats!!!

Anything that references one of the funniest scenes in movie history gets a "winner" from me
Jeez thought I was replying to @GaryfromTO's "bright side of life" post.
The Patriots defensive ineptitude is contagious

I can't believe we lost the division because we crapped the bed vs two teams rooted for by bumpkins...

Imagine a Patriots player walking into the locker room after a game screaming about a specific beat reporter.

Man you really might wanna change your username. I mean it's up to you but that is a pretty rough one.
I don't think that's possible. I chose it to mock Cam and Harry, who obviously do not belong in the NFL. It's been surprising the number of people who miss the sarcasm.

I was hoping to see some kind of gun-slinging come from behind win today, or last week... but Mac is a rookie.
Even though we're all buying the idea that he's like Brady, so he should live up to expectations immediately - he's just not there yet.
But it's not all on Mac. The protection hasn't been great, and WR's not winning enough, and where the hell were the TE's??
They should have gone into hurry up late 2nd quarter, or change things up some how. They started creative, with Gunner's jet sweep, and then sink into obvious play calls and rhythm. No urgency or down-field threats until late 4th qtr. I hate it.
Great post

Win against Jax
Loss against Miami
…..and that will bring Doofins into play with us in playoffs which was my prediction watching them win 6 in a row. NO needs to kick their asses tonight!!
I just went thru the playoff machine and Miami would have to beat both the Saints and the Titans for the last game to be meaningful for them. And even then it's highly possible for the Patriots to make it in at 10-7 with a loss to the Phins.

The Patriots must beat Jax and they are practically a cinch to qualify.

If the Steelers lose (they’re going to), does a win over Jax clinch a playoff spot?
I would think so - the only team that could leapfrog us would be the Raiders if they win 3 straight (and tie the Conf record), and it would be down to Common Games, but that'd only bump us down to the 7th seed if I had any idea how to figure that out.

Edit - just saw this, and it looks like our chances would be >99%, but not 100%. Guessing the "Common Games" is big as it looks like it's higher than Conference record - is this new?

Edit #2 - just missed the section for the Wild Card which does put Conf record over Common Games.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back