PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

I do see your point, but this has not been going on for only the past year (if it were, I would agree with you to take the medicine). The poor drafting and misses on free agency have been going on for at least 3-4 years. The talent level on this team is thread bare. McDaniels did not adapt to hi personnel this year. He does not have Tom Brady back their in the pocket.
Its healthy for an organization to bring in fresh ideas, concepts and new ways of doing things. BB's way lasted 20 years...that is outstanding...but now its time for fresh air to be let in.
But you see BB has never been stuck with the same people and schemes. See what they did in 2006 and 2007 .they changed the offense completely . then they changed again in 2010 with AH and Gronk. So BB is more flexible we give credit for. Even this year until the first 4 games they changed the offense around Cam. It just didnt work out in the end. There is always a lot of fresh blood infused in the pats coaching ranks which we dont see on a daily basis.
Personally i dont put a lot on Josh coaching wise this yr. He has had his bad moments but he didnt try to run the brady offense with cam either. that wouldve been terrible. And also , remember the game winning touchdown in SB 53 vs the rams. It was all josh's adjustment on the fly which got the pats in the EZ. Brady executed it perfectly but he wasnt calling the plays. Same in SB49 . I think this yr is a wash . Its sad to see this creative offense struggle to pass for 50 yards but they have the wrong players.
Drafting has been a miss i agree. Free agency is a mix. they tried gordon, they tried AB , they tried Sanu. Heck last yr after game 2 people thought this would be like 2007 with gordon and AB . All 3 failed. But chris hogan was a good sign, amendola was a good sign, bennett was a good sign. Michel for all the crap he takes is not a terrible pick, wino, uche have huge upside. Harry hasnt been great but he has been stuck with a sulking brady and cam for his 2 yrs without any other wideout or TE to give him space. Asiasi and keene are rookies .

Yes we dont have a julio jones or metcalf or someone like diggs. but i am quite sure, this year they wouldve all gotten frustrated with this passing offense.
As bad as this looks -and it is bad - a competent QB fixes a lot of this and it doesn't have to be brady. That really is the big unknown and big decision pats need to hit on. All other positions they can mix and match and fit pieces but they cant at the QB position. As i said before, put herbert on this team, and suddenly they will look miles better.
Defensively, pats need to build the Dline inside out. they have been exposed because of a lack of front 4. At the same time, no team feels they need to keep up with the scoring with the pats so they can keep running. They aren't playing from ahead or putting any pressure.

Pats got beat down into submission. The writing's on the wall, it's time for a change. I expect us to draft QB early. Question is who - this will be the biggest draft of BB's career. This is the post-Brady era folks. It was never gonna be pretty.
Pats aren't going to draft a QB early. They are going to go NT/DT and then probably DE or ILB. Unless someone slides to them that they feel is a can't miss prospect.. But Belichick doesn't believe in "Can't Miss" with QBs because so many HAVE missed. Manziel, RGIII, Haskins, Etc, etc..

Pats aren't going to draft a QB early. They are going to go NT/DT and then probably DE or ILB. Unless someone slides to them that they feel is a can't miss prospect.. But Belichick doesn't believe in "Can't Miss" with QBs because so many HAVE missed. Manziel, RGIII, Haskins, Etc, etc..
I bet they go Dline in 1st round. Maybe trade for mariota. his injury is the thing which will put BB off. Draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd round.

I haven't seen anything in this thread so I apologize if I missed it...

Has anyone heard the official reason why the refs didn't call fair catch interference on the punt that the Bills downed on the 5? The Bills player was clearly NOT blocked into Olszewski. In fact, it looked like the Bills player was trying to block another Patriot into him and failed and his own momentum carried him smack into the play.

Not that it mattered a whole lot on the scoreboard but I just can't understand why that wasn't a flag.

I bet they go Dline in 1st round. Maybe trade for mariota. his injury is the thing which will put BB off. Draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd round.
Why is everyone enamored with Mariota??? I feel there are better options in FA than him..

There's no such thing as a "can't miss" QB. You just have to go with your scouting and get the best QB you think you can get. Was Patrick Mahomes a "can't miss" when the Chiefs moved up for him at #10 in 2017?

Nobody ever knows "for sure". But they had confidence in their scouting and went for him. They got rewarded big time. You can't "improve" the QB position when you don't go for a new QB. Sure you might fall on your face but you might also get rewarded with a franchise QB. And like it or not, that's the only way to consistently win in this league, start with the QB.

I mean just read this scouting report on Mahomes, he got graded as a SECOND round pick:

"In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Mahomes as a second-round pick. That is the same grade the NFL draft advisory board gave him. A general manger of a NFC team said they had a fourth-round grade on Mahomes, but felt he had some tools to work with. That same team has a third- to fourth-round grade on Deshaun Watson, a fifth-round grade on Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya, and a second-round grade on Mitch Trubisky. That team is a tough grader, overall. Another NFC team said they had Mahomes low - into Day 3 - and weren't hot on him as a prospect, but they also have a young franchise quarterback, so they aren't interested in quarterbacks until the late rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Sources from one AFC team said they had a second-round grade on Mahomes and viewed him similarly to Derek Carr coming out of Fresno State. They are very high on Mahomes and think he could become a hot prospect in the leadup to the draft. The scouting director of another AFC team said they liked Mahomes. They graded him in the third round, but don't think he is as good of a prospect as Carr. Another AFC team said they also had a second-day grade on Mahomes.

There are plenty of teams in the NFL that are starved for quarterback talent, so Mahomes could rise in the leadup to the 2017 NFL Draft just because of need and desperation. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Mahomes goes in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Round 2 could be his destination, and he probably won't go any lower than the second round."

Source: 2017 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Pat Mahomes

But today, everybody realizes the Chiefs probably got a generational talent at #10. But they trusted their scouting, they went for it, and they got rewarded. You're never going to win an NFL title with a 1st round quality DT, but you can with a great QB.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to think of these separation stats from the game (next gen). Bills had 38 targets and Patriots 18. Cap'n Obv says we need a new QB or give the QB consistently more time (Byrd drop sucked, tho). Cam's had a faster Time to Throw all season than Mahomes/Allen, but that may just speak to the latter's ability to extend the play (or much better pocket).

(Sidenote: for WRs with >50recs for the season, the leader is at 3.6yds while Meyers is at 3.4).

1609279326943.png

Last edited:
One thing I want to add before I forget, since this a post-game thread:

I didn't notice immediately because I couldn't wait to change the channel, but while re-watching the 4th quarter I saw the post-game meeting between Bill & McDermott...I never know what to expect here, but it turned out to be fairly lengthy, with both men in a long hand-shaking embrace, engaged in conversation that looked warm & respectful on both sides. Kinda (bitter-)sweet actually, given the melancholy of the overall situation.

First Round Pick, Harry, looked awesome, NOT.

What a waste. He is lazy.

I would feel bad for him if someone else created this mess for him to coach but he 100% did this himself. His drafting has been awful for years. I still don't understand how he thought rolling with the same abysmal receivers and zero tight ends with a QB that no one wanted would be anything but an awful season.

I love BB as a coach but I have zero confidence of him fixing this team as a GM. BB has had so many misses in the draft it could be years before this team is competitive again.
All-time best post. Hall of fame.

One thing I want to add before I forget, since this a post-game thread:

I didn't notice immediately because I couldn't wait to change the channel, but while re-watching the 4th quarter I saw the post-game meeting between Bill & McDermott...I never know what to expect here, but it turned out to be fairly lengthy, with both men in a long hand-shaking embrace, engaged in conversation that looked warm & respectful on both sides. Kinda (bitter-)sweet actually, given the melancholy of the overall situation.
Passing of the tourch?

Just had to say that :D

Passing of the tourch?

Just had to say that :D
Yeah I was thinking the same thing too, but I just couldn't bring myself to type those words...

Reactions: sb1
This is also a good point...

Not in Boston. Sports radio would say, "Why does Kraft feel the need to support the GOAT coach? Kraft already made BB trade JimmyG. Now he is supporting him? Tension must be high in Gillette!!".

Anything Kraft says will be twisted. Best to shut up like he is doing. It almost seems like BB warned him it is going to be rough moving on from Brady in 2020/2021.

I haven't seen anything in this thread so I apologize if I missed it...

Has anyone heard the official reason why the refs didn't call fair catch interference on the punt that the Bills downed on the 5? The Bills player was clearly NOT blocked into Olszewski. In fact, it looked like the Bills player was trying to block another Patriot into him and failed and his own momentum carried him smack into the play.

Not that it mattered a whole lot on the scoreboard but I just can't understand why that wasn't a flag.
I thought the same thing, but Olszewski was not near the ball, it landed 5 yards away so maybe that plays into it?

I thought the same thing, but Olszewski was not near the ball, it landed 5 yards away so maybe that plays into it?
He was trying to catch the ball and was interfered with while the ball was in the air. Sure looked catchable although I never saw any call at all. I think they blew the call.

First Round Pick, Harry, looked awesome, NOT.

What a waste. He is lazy.
Yeah, let's have a classic racist trope. If an African American athlete underperforms, he must be lazy. Why not call him a thug while you're at it.

Let's be clear: he's terrible. He's slow coming off the line of scrimmage. He's awful coming off his breaks while running routes. There's not much of anything he does well. He's a horrific draft pick. But spare me with the racist code words.

I do not think there is a defensive tackle with a first round grade.

there are some edge rushers with first round grades, maybe kwity paye is available at 14?

Yeah, let's have a classic racist trope. If an African American athlete underperforms, he must be lazy. Why not call him a thug while you're at it.

Let's be clear: he's terrible. He's slow coming off the line of scrimmage. He's awful coming off his breaks while running routes. There's not much of anything he does well. He's a horrific draft pick. But spare me with the racist code words.
Lighten up, Francis.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back