PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bengals beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

The Pats were two lucky plays away from getting humiliated! The offense is a joke. Mac Jones does not have a clutch bone in his body.

Time after time, he is presented with an opportunity to lead a game winning drive, and he has NEVER done it! Two years, zero game winning drives!

Before you blame the play calling, you have to realize that the QB has the ability to read the defenses and adjust protection and plays. Mac seems to be making adjustments all the time, they just don't seem to work.

Still the Pats should have won that game. I think the play calling at the end was more about making sure that they didn't leave any time left on the clock, than picking the right play.

Much like my MIL getting drunk and passing out in my bathroom, it has become a yearly tradition to watch this team melt down at the end of the season.

It starts with the coaching. When you go to "before you blame the play calling", you make anything you say worthless.

He didn't change out of the dive up the middle into a stacked box! If no one fears your QB, they are going to stack the box and make the QB beat you. He doesn't throw it quick, he doesn't run.

He has the worst QBR in all of football!

This Is No Good GIF by NETFLIX

It wouldn't be tanking; it would be acknowledging the obvious and preparing for next season by resting vets (Rham, Andrews, Judon, Guy, even Meyers as a sign of goodwill) and playing more kids, including Zappy...
A lot of people apparently think Mac will play much better with a different OC, a different OL, different receivers, and a different head coach on a completely different team.

So he's Steve Young, then.

The thing is, despite all those gaudy numbers with a loaded team, I never pretended Young was any better than he was.

Whatever!!! Our only hope is that Mac, like Hurts and Tua, all of a sudden the light comes on in his third year. In that one play it looked like 4 receivers were open, the pass should have been caught but it was a lousy throw. Burrow said after the game if he sees one on one he will throw it up and give his guy a chance. That is a pretty easy decision. Don't know how often we do that.

At the beginning of the season, Jones was "throwing it up and giving his guy a chance". He was doing it under orders from Patricia. And, after several of those throws were picked off because Parker wasn't getting it done as a so-called 50/50 ball guy, it was Jones who got the blame.

It's easy to just chuck the ball up when you're throwing to the likes of Chase. It's not so easy when you're throwing it up to this Patriots WR group.

Which is more damning for the coaching? This being ridiculously stupid play design or that players don’t even know what routes to run on plays.

Obviously Mac Jones' fault.
reading-newspaper-drinking-coffee.gif

And Burrow dropping back and throwing it off his back foot on 3rd & long up 22-0 late in the 3rd quarter

And a Hail Mary on 3rd & 29 which deflected into Meyers' hands

Mac's apparently very well liked by his teammates, as Bledsoe was. In fact, there were players on the '88 team who liked and were in favor of Eason replacing healthy (only reason the team was competitive) Flutie at the end of the season with the playoffs on the line after not playing for over a year

That "deflected pass" hit the intended WR right in the hands.

This may be more damning for the receivers and Troy Brown than either Patricia or Mac.

Orlovsky should take a look at the Jonnu Smith injury play, too.

Go ahead and put Mac in the Pats' HOF.

One can like, or not like, a player and still try to be honest when evaluating him. Such things are not mutually exclusive. Minimizing the QB for a "deflection" that was a deflection because the receiver didn't catch the perfectly thrown ball isn't honest analysis.

Go ahead and put Mac in the Pats' HOF.
These kind of posts are what's over the top, all he said was the pass hit the receiver in the hands, it did, and he didn't catch it. Yes, it's lucky it was caught by a Patriot but watch the replay, he hustled to get there probably just in case this type of thing happened, it's a good throw by Mac and a good hustle play by the receiver and a bad catch by the intended receiver, all can be true at once.

Bill is one of the greatest head coaches in NFL history, he's up there with George Halas and Don Shula. Hes not just a Super Bowl champion, he is a 6 time Super Bowl champion. With that being said, I think its fair to say he does have his faults and right now they're coming back to bite us especially on the offensive side of the ball.

1. Hiring Matt Patricia, his friend as a de facto offensive coordinator was a horrible move, he knows it at this point and I knew this was going to happen when it was announced. He was a good defensive coordinator for us but having him coach the offense is a horrible idea. The play calls are stale, receivers aren't getting open, there's bad situational awareness with the ball, players are making mistakes, not running the right routes etc.

2. He has not been good at building up skill positions on offense. With the exception of the 2009-2010 drafts when we got Gronk and Edelman. The N'Keal Harry experiment didn't work out, Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry are decent but they aren't the big playmakers we thought they would be. Other teams in our division have had these big trades and free agent signings such as the dolphins drafting Jaylen Waddle and making the trade for Tyreek Hill, those are franchise altering moves. The Bills drafted guys like Gabriel Davis, Matt Milano, Josh Allen, tredavious white and also signed Stefan Diggs and Von Miller. With that being said, Right now Defensive coordinators aren't up late at night wondering who they are going to stop on offense, we haven't had that since the Gronk days and This problem really started to show in Brady's last year. Plain and simple We can't hang with the top teams in the AFC with what we have on offense. With the defense being as good as it is, this may allow us to beat some of the average teams in the league or the bad teams but when you go up against a team like Buffalo, Kansas City or Cincinnati. Not having those dynamic playmakers to put up points even with a good defense isnt good enough.

3. So I hate to sound like the glass half empty guy but if we keep going with the approach, we're going to be stuck like this in mediocrity for the next few years. Being passive on acquiring talented players on offense is a losing strategy in today's NFL. I don't think Mac is a bad quarterback, I think hes got alot of potential but having Matt Patricia as the guy who's tasked with developing him isnt gonna cut it. I am all for going out and having Bill O'Brien return as OC. He was the actual OC here before and has experience with developing quarterbacks. I think were going to have to draft some guys on the offensive line and seriously think about making a dynamic trade for a weapon on offense for Mac. There's definitely changes that need to be made or else we are going to continue to play second fiddle to the Bills for the foreseeable future. Maybe some people might disagree with me but thats how I see it.

The exodus we have every year has taken it's toll.
Bill has a plan, he never doesn't watch this, even though we get pilfered EVERY YEAR.
WHAT team loses more EVERY Year?

He'll always look inside 1st...is anyone Really Blaming him?
He started,/trained them

Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST