PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bears beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re onto………
YNngudI.jpg

Mac's INT was one I would regularly laugh at when another QB did the same thing.
It was his worst pick yet, and he knew it. But when the things that were mentioned happen constantly, and you are supposed to move the ball, frustration sets in and a highly competitive person will often do such things. Look at the first two plays, where runs went for no gain. We were supposed to be able to run against them. We couldn't. He's had way too many drops and fumbles after a catch too. His long pass to TT that just went off his fingertips was 6 inches too far, and he was hit by 2 linemen less than 2 sec after the snap so he had to rush the throw. His first pass was a bullet that went for a first down, but a penalty nullified it. Stop those things and he should improve. The defense had far too many injuries to top players to be effective. FB is won and lost in the trenches, and when your best DL is out, well....The bears had no one out injured as far as I know. Bad situation to start with. We have to get our injured back. Going to be grim if we don't.

They better figure out the QB running thing PDQ. Indy just replaced Ryan with a run first type of QB.

Anyone else concerned about Bailey? Stats show he’s lost around 5 yards of punting distance from last season.

Anyone else concerned about Bailey? Stats show he’s lost around 5 yards of punting distance from last season.
Yes. He was atrocious last night. Posters that were concerned about his contract were correct to feel that way.

We are a rebuilding team. IMO, the last three drafts were really, really good.

A GM gets players from many sources. If we have deficiencies, it is NOT because of the poor drafts.

DEFICIENCIES OR WEAKNESSES
1) OT
2) QB (we may still be OK with our draftees) Is the issue lack of development by coaches, and poor game planning by coaches?
3) Defensive game plan to stop the run against teams with running QB's
4) backup OG's (our backups are not close to NFL standard)

BOTTOM LINE
We have spent a huge amount of assets acquiring players in 2020-2022. How can we have been so delinquent is our planning and acquisition at OT?

Was there really no OT worth signing or trading for, perhaps instead of a 2nd TE?

I guess that we will wait to see if we beat the jets before deciding whether to trade for an OT.
I feel like we’ve been through this in multiple previous seasons. It’s hard to trade for tackles because teams don’t trade them very often. And even then, the Patriots have recently been the most active team by far when it comes to acquiring the few tackles that are traded.

Other than the Patriots trading away Herron (who is out with a torn ACL now anyway), I see one other tackle who was traded this year. Dennis Daley is playing LT for the Titans now after Lewan tore his ACL, and the Twitter comments I’m seeing tell me that he wouldn’t be an upgrade in NE right now.

Edit:
I did the math. Since 2019, I count 17 OTs that were traded and subsequently played at least one game for their new team. Two of those were NE departures (Cannon and Herron), leaving 15 OTs traded by other teams. The Patriots were the trade recipient for 4 of those 15 players.

Houston and Miami each acquired two, but that includes the Tunsil for Davenport (and a whole lot more) trade where they traded quality of tackles but ended with the same quantity. No other team has traded for more than one tackle in the last 4 seasons.

Last edited:
I keep seeing the TD throw to Jakobi referenced as a bad throw by those looking to diminish Zappe's performance. Ignorant take. Pretty simplistic take to assume a throw was bad because the receiver had to sprawl out.

If you watch the angle from behind the play, Zappe threw the ball BEFORE Jakobi turned his head. He threw it on a straight line toward the pylon AWAY from the Safety coming from the center of the field. If Meyers turns his head the other way, he catches it in stride. Away from the Safety and toward the pylon was the correct and accurate throw made. Thankfully, Jakobi made a great play after to adjust.

Zappe obviously had his 2nd half imperfections (for the 1st time as a pro), so lets no make shyt up or throw shyt out there due to a lack of football knowledge.

He's been bad, no doubt about it. Don't know if it was weather related last night, but I agree, Bailey has not been good. His best punts seem to always ride into the endzone when he should be downing them inside the 10.

Credit the Bears for not allowing George Halas win record to be broken against them on national TV.

You people didn't believe me when I stated prior to this season that Pittsburgh and Chicago could be pretty good teams. Tribisky can play much better than he has too.

Macs ankle is great. He was almost the Pat's leading rusher at 3 carries for 24 yards. His arm looks sprained though with 13 passing yards and an Int.

I'm not giving up on Zap after 4 games, but he needs to correct the holes in his game. The Jets will do what the Bears did and try to tip balls.

By the end of this season we will know if there is a future QB on this roster.

We can't really have a legit conversation here if we can't all acknowledge that THIS YEAR, Zappe has outplayed Mac by a very significant margin. Feel free to offer whatever qualifiers or excuses you like, but that fact remains.

You people didn't believe me when I stated prior to this season that Pittsburgh and Chicago could be pretty good teams. Tribisky can play much better than he has too.
Both teams overall are still garbage.
Macs ankle is great. He was almost the Pat's leading rusher at 3 carries for 24 yards. His arm looks sprained though with 13 passing yards and an Int.
Him running was not a wise decision because now he can't use that as an excuse.
I'm not giving up on Zap after 4 games, but he needs to correct the holes in his game. The Jets will do what the Bears did and try to tip balls.
Zappe is telegraphing passes which is a big reason why DL are batting down the balls.

His 24 yds running yesterday lead me to believe that the ankle was fine. He was moving fine. The ankle was not a problem yesterday. It’s been 4 weeks and one day since the injury not 3 weeks.
You are correct that it has been 4 weeks and one day instead of 3 weeks, I evidently miscounted, thanks for pointing out the error. However, my goof doesn't change the fact that 4 weeks and 1 day would still be an extremely fast recovery from a high ankle sprain, I believe that it typically takes 6-8 weeks or recovery, and it can be even longer for an athlete, see: HighAnkleSprainRecovery. Even if he was able to scramble a few times last nigh, I can't believe that he was 100% recovered even if he was trying to tough it out and return early (and Zappe's performance the last couple of weeks probably sped that up a bit).

Credit the Bears for not allowing George Halas win record to be broken against them on national TV.
Agreed on this part, I'm a little surprised that the Pats weren't more prepared for a Superbowl type of effort from the Bears given the national attention (on Monday Night Football no less) that the record being broken would have garnered. The Pats acted like they thought the Bears were just going to lay down.

A very disappointing game to say the least

It was his worst pick yet, and he knew it. But when the things that were mentioned happen constantly, and you are supposed to move the ball, frustration sets in and a highly competitive person will often do such things.
Some of the things recently said about Mac by posters or shameless idiots like Volin (fighting with the coaches, noodle arm, not tough enough, the moment is too big for him, etc.) are obvious nonsense for anyone who has watched his college career and his career with NEP so far.

However, to your point, Mac is a fanatical competitor, and very early in his career (before he became the starter at Alabama) he had a bit of a reputation for getting frustrated and mad at himself. As a freshman Saban called him "McEnroe" because of his tendency to get mad at himself, throw a bit of a tantrum, and have it affect his play. He completely overcame that problem at Alabama (and seemingly last year with NE), but I admit he has looked a bit frustrated on the sidelines last night and a few other times this year. I hope it is a temporary thing.

Some of the things recently said about Mac by posters or shameless idiots like Volin (fighting with the coaches, noodle arm, not tough enough, the moment is too big for him, etc.) are obvious nonsense for anyone who has watched his college career and his career with NEP so far.

However, to your point, Mac is a fanatical competitor, and very early in his career (before he became the starter at Alabama) he had a bit of a reputation for getting frustrated and mad at himself. As a freshman Saban called him "McEnroe" because of his tendency to get mad at himself, throw a bit of a tantrum, and have it affect his play. He completely overcame that problem at Alabama (and seemingly last year with NE), but I admit he has looked a bit frustrated on the sidelines last night and a few other times this year. I hope it is a temporary thing.
Its an excellent point. As a leader he needs to show more poise and calm when things are not going well. This is one area where Zappe has the edge

His last two drives ended with interceptions. He had a tipped ball at the line on each of his last four drives. That is falling apart in my book.

if Mac ended his night like that, I am guessing that is how you would describe how his night.
As you noted previously, Mac's poor production was all on him. He is the one who is falling apart.
Zappe didn't make bone headed plays. The bears adjusted to him and took advantage of his height. We'll see if Zappe and the coaching staff can adjust back.

One of the most disappointing games in recent memory. Trent Brown was bad, our defense was bad, our special teams was bad, Mac was bad, Myles Bryant was bad- you get the picture.

Just a really bad game.

Let's discuss!!!

BB's bad decisions come to roost: Zero reinforcements to the linebackers corps or the defensive line in the draft. We got literally bulldozed in the run defense game.

Fun fact, after that travesty of a game, the Patriots have given up 957 yards on the ground, that's 136 rushing yards per game for those of you keeping track at home!

Bad offensive performance by the quarterbacks, bad pass protection by the offensive line, turnovers and interceptions by the quarterbacks, bad playcalling by Matt Patricia as he reverted back to form. Nothing went right.

This was a game against a team in poor form with a bad record and we made them look like the '85 Bears. That's how bad it was. OOF.

This was the first time I predicted a Patriots win in weeks, as this should have been the easiest win in the schedule over their next four games, boy did they fool me!

Last edited:
wouldve helped if jones had more help with the running game like zappe did in the last two games.
The fans turning on mac last nite shows how the media news cycle gets into the fans mind and completely hose the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes