PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats-Titans pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed this is a 10am game on the west coast. I joke how Fox and CBS continially hijack good games, but this is ridiculous.

Pats are going to beat the Titans next Sunday.

Good teams find a way to win when the game is on the line. The problem is Vrabel seems to know a lot of the Belichick schemes and tricks. The Patriots will simply have to win the game in the trenches, mistake free. Oh and the Titans pick and rub routes all game long.

People keep saying this because of the 2 games that a BRADY LED Patriots team lost..

What's more likely? The Vrabel, who practiced on defense against Brady for 7+ years and spent time in goal line offenses learned Brady's tendencies in regards to what Brady sees from defenses or that Vrabel learned 40+ years of Belichick schemes and tricks?

Yes, the Patriots need to win the game in the trenches. They particularly need to have the run game light up the Titans defense like the Pats did against the Browns.

TN is still committing to the run big time. 50/50 run/pass. They have to or it'll expose Tanny.

Problem is instead of ave 148yds/gm on the ground w/ Henry they are now ave 67ish w/o him.

This is an incredible stat. More than a 50% drop using a different running back. The interchangeable running back argument just took a big hit. Maybe a 1st round RB is not that important, but if the right guy can more than double the yds/game, that is a big deal. Like with anything else, depends on the player. It would be interesting if the Titans had selected Stevenson, I would be curious how many yards per game he achieved replacing Henry.

This is an incredible stat. More than a 50% drop using a different running back. The interchangeable running back argument just took a big hit. Maybe a 1st round RB is not that important, but if the right guy can more than double the yds/game, that is a big deal. Like with anything else, depends on the player. It would be interesting if the Titans had selected Stevenson, I would be curious how many yards per game he achieved replacing Henry.
And how many fumbles he would have had, as I don’t think Vrabel would have sat him.

Dupree placed on IR

I get what you're saying. Just a quick look at this small sample with Tennessee I'm immediately drawn to two points.

1)Henry might be the very best in the world at what he does. Almost especially when you add in the volume he's able to take and work with. Not many people on earth even in the league that can replicate his skill set and pounding he's able to give out/take.

2)They had to turn to Peterson so that in of itself tells me they didn't properly plan for life without DH. Again it's impossible to replace a guy like that but they didn't do a good job if they're running to the streets and Peterson.

As you mentioned they might have been able to get above average replacement numbers in the 4th round with Stevenson.

Dupree placed on IR
This is big. They have little depth at OLB. Landry has been great but he's one guy. They've been hoping Bud would earn his money and they haven't really needed him yet but this is a big loss for them.

Simmons has been an absolute monster. They have a stout, powerful DL. That's a fun matchup, their DL/our OL.

This is big. They have little depth at OLB. Landry has been great but he's one guy. They've been hoping Bud would earn his money and they haven't really needed him yet but this is a big loss for them.

Simmons has been an absolute monster. They have a stout, powerful DL. That's a fun matchup, their DL/our OL.

If they can convert on 3rd downs then a great OL will wear down a great DL, Running a two TE offense with the depth and talent the Patriots have on OL and at RB, and 2 TE’s who are real receiving threats gives the Patriots a strong advantage against Tennessee’s defense.I think this is going to be a tough game, but I give the advantage to the Patriots overall.

Last edited:
And how many fumbles he would have had, as I don’t think Vrabel would have sat hi

Without Dupree it will be interesting to watch if the Pats tend to run more outside (avoiding the inside tackles which might be TN strength). The Texans play Tennessee this Sunday but I am not sure that the Texans will expose anything.

Without Dupree it will be interesting to watch if the Pats tend to run more outside (avoiding the inside tackles which might be TN strength). The Texans play Tennessee this Sunday but I am not sure that the Texans will expose anything.
IIRC from the last two games, CLE was much more inside runs and wham blocks& lobs to flats to get over rushers.
whereas ATL it seemed like I remember the outside toss-sweeps and run lanes from OT -TE were more available.

So, you seem to imply it could look more like ATL and a tougher day runnning

but I’m not the rewind/all-22 guy, so the better analysts can weigh in to correct me.

IIRC from the last two games, CLE was much more inside runs and wham blocks& lobs to flats to get over rushers.
whereas ATL it seemed like I remember the outside toss-sweeps and run lanes from OT -TE were more available.

So, you seem to imply it could look more like ATL and a tougher day runnning

but I’m not the rewind/all-22 guy, so the better analysts can weigh in to correct me.

Yes, I agree. More like Atlanta than Cleveland, I think Tennessee is much stronger up the middle than outside, even more so with Dupree lost for the season. Having said that, I am not an all-22 guy either so I can be corrected as well.

I look for our Big Mac Attack to feature rollout passes when faced with interior pass rush.

If Henry was playing fthe Titans, this game would be a loss.

but without Henry, we got a great shot at beating the Titans.

we must run the ball and we must avoid turnovers.

Good time to get the Titans - they have been up for a number of weeks and now had a terrible divisional loss with some further injuries.

If we win this all the pressure is now on the Bills - does anyone trust them to beat us when the pressure is on

Pats line is -5.5 right now. I think that’s going up if Brown misses time

If Henry was playing fthe Titans, this game would be a loss.

but without Henry, we got a great shot at beating the Titans.

we must run the ball and we must avoid turnovers.

To be so certain about this is dumb. Are their chances much better against a Henry-less Titans team? Of course. But even if they had Henry it would have been closer to a 50/50 toss-up, in my opinion.

Man, their O Line looked horrible yesterday.

I don't want to get too confident about it, because I'm sure there will be a reaction, but Judon, Barmore et al are going to be Tannehills face all day long

Injuries aside, this Titans team is going to be angry coming off a loss to Houston. They may not have all the horses, but between that and Vrabel, they're going to give the Patriots their best shot. Which means the Pats need to give theirs in turn, or it doesn't matter who they're trotting out there. As Houston has shown both against us AND Tennessee, if you don't show up ready to play, any team can beat you.

That said, especially if Brown can't go, we match up VERY well on defense against this team right now. If the offense doesn't turn the ball over, I expect a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back