PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots vs. Dolphins Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, the Pats had the PERFECT defense called out for the 4th and 5 play. Had Sims not held Ryan (or it had been called properly by the refs) then Clay is down with a loss of 2. Instead, Ryan was held. McCourty over-ran the play and was taken out by Claybo. Fletcher got held and taken down and nearly wiped out Gregory who was the one who was able to get an arm on Clay and make the play.
That turned out to be the play of the game.

Sims is a huge, blocking TE, a rookie, from Michigan State. I didn't see the hold, but I'll take your word for it. Hope married life is treating you all right, DB. Great analysis.

The issue is that if this had happened last week, I would be okay with "fixable going forward". But there was a lot on the line today, and this is where we need to see what they are made of because the D is simply not going to get any better. The offense at least has some weapons that will come back. That is what is the most disappointing. With a lot on the line, the D could not rise to the occasion - same story we have seen in past years.

I know people will disagree, but the defense has not been this team's major problem. People will always use them as the scapegoat, but they have been keeping the team in most if not all of their games. People here think that if they give up more than zero points, then they are awful. The offense and special teams lost this game (as well as the Bengals game). Gostkowski missed a makeable 48 yard field goal and kicked a kick off out of bounds. Both having a major impact. Add in that the offense twice settled for FGs on 15 play drives while in the red zone. Change one of those to a TD, and the Pats and Dolphins are tied with the Pats only needing a FG for the win at the end.

The refs contributed to the loss. Saying otherwise is being ignorant.

The refs contribute to both wins and losses in every game, but this was not a game that was called in a lopsided fashion, so the loss can't be pinned on them.

Re: Re: Official Patriots vs. Dolphins Post Game

Great to watch an NFL game where referees let them play.

Except for one play that turned out to be crucial, you're right.

Can someone answer my earlier question about putting in Josh Kline instead of switching Cannon with Solder and replacing Marcus with Svitek? Kline _definitely_ isn't ready for prime time.

Not sure why, but Mankins said post game that he practiced as back-up LT that week. Perhaps the coaching staff thought Kline would be ready.

The refs contributed to the loss. Saying otherwise is being ignorant.

I think that can be said win or lose every week and in every game played. Officials help determine the outcome of games.

Can someone answer my earlier question about putting in Josh Kline instead of switching Cannon with Solder and replacing Marcus with Svitek? Kline _definitely_ isn't ready for prime time.

Svitek probably couldn't go on the ankle.

Uh-huh. Gregory on M Wallace's TD? It wasn't once, it was multiple times.

Clay was running straight upfield and Gregory had him for the tackle behind the line but tried to arm tackle him. Should have laid him out right there.

You need to go back to both plays and re-watch them.

Gregory would have been in perfect position on the Mike Wallace TD if Cole hadn't botched it to begin with. Or does that not matter to you?

Same with the Clay play. Clay wasn't running straight upfield. Clay had juked to avoid Fletcher and slipped by Gregory who was the CLEAN UP man on that play since he was coming from the far side of the field. You are ignoring McCourty being taken out of the play. Fletcher being taken out of the play and Ryan being held. But, yeah, blame Gregory who was the one who actually took Clay down.. Makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

This is where I'm at, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season and if they somehow manage to pull off the improbable great. My expectations are low. Hey, it worked with the Red Sox this year so who knows.

Exactly my philosophy......it's admirable that this team has so much scrap in them to compete each and every week...but the writing was on the wall in training camp. Depth was a major issue at DT and TE from the get go and the worst case scenario for those groupings realized itself.
This isn't '03 where anything but a SB trophy would be considered a failure. With an offense that scores 10 pts/game less than in '12 and a D in survival mode, every win is a bonus from my vantage point. They're not that good....but they are exciting.

The only logical explanation is Svitek is dinged. Cannon has played LT for us. He played it in college. Has got much better size and arm reach for the position. Really, he's our second best LT after Solder.

Svitek has already started a few games for us this season at RT. How we miss SeaBass!

So why not go with experienced guys with a proved track record? Kline is like putting in a true freshman handling the second-most mentally demanding position after QB. He whiffed a few times. Don't blame Wendell. Kline whiffed.

The refs contribute to both wins and losses in every game, but this was not a game that was called in a lopsided fashion, so the loss can't be pinned on them.
Totaly agree.

Miami was due after losing 7 in a row and they needed this game to keep post season hopes alive. NE made mistakes and left points on the field.

Exactly my philosophy......it's admirable that this team has so much scrap in them to compete each and every week...but the writing was on the wall in training camp. Depth was a major issue at DT and TE from the get go and the worst case scenario for those groupings realized itself.
This isn't '03 where anything but a SB trophy would be considered a failure. With an offense that scores 10 pts/game less than in '12 and a D in survival mode, every win is a bonus from my vantage point. They're not that good....but they are exciting.

They are definitely fun to watch. If the QB was some dude other than Brady, it would be a lot more fun. Right now it just sometimes looks like one guy carrying a bad team which just make me feel sorry for him.

Why didn't the Pats bring in Will Svitek when Solder left with a head injury?

I was surprised to see the team go with Mankins at LT and bring Kline in. I thought we signed Svitek to be our 4th tackle, was there something wrong with him I am not aware of?

- Harmon needs to replace Gregory at safety. Two of Miami's touchdowns are direct results of Gregory taking bad angles, which he does every game. The first was the Wallace TD where he looked lost and the second was the 4th and 5 where he completely whiffed on stopping Clay a yard short. While he is known as a smart player on the field, these dumb plays are finally starting to bite the Patriots.

Umm.. So, you blame Gregory for Cole being out of place and getting in the way and you blame Gregory for McCourty and Fletcher being out of place and Gregory having to come form the other side of the field to make the play?

Let's blame Gregory for Ryan being held and not tackling Clay as well. I mean, you're blaming everything else on Gregory..

You're going to have to let this one go DaBruinz, they are never going to call holding when the receiver has his hands inside the shoulders.

Except that the receiver DIDN'T have his hands inside the shoulders. He had his hands CLEARLY on the OUTSIDE of Ryan's shoulders. That's how I was able to see it so easily..

I think that can be said win or lose every week and in every game played. Officials help determine the outcome of games.

You cant win every week with the Refs calling PI or Holding.

NE got a gift on the Edelman TD because Cannon hooked his defender giving Brady time.

Amendola needs to make that catch plain and simple. It wasn't a choke, but average NFL WRs make that catch more than 50/50. Santonio Holmes or Boldin make that play 99/100 and they aren't elite WRs by any stretch.

Sorry, but that's just not the truth..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back