PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we could possibly see some extensions this offseason as well as that i think we could also see some reconstructions of contracts as well.

Think we could see extensions for the following ;
Cooks
Malcom Brown
Flowers
Mason
Possibly Chung as well, not sure what his contract is looking like

Reconstructions;
Brady - Knowing Brady he will.
D-Mac - Potentially might reconstruct.

The Patriots don't have a ton of cap room. They definitely don't need a wide receiver. Sheldon Richardson would be my top target in free agency. A cheaper veteran corner like Rashaan Melvin, Prince Amukamara, or TJ Carrie to replace Butler is probably worth a shot.

I was thinking that Prince might be a good fit if his price tag doesn't run up high. He's solid in coverage, but he has speed and can play inside or outside against smaller receivers

Tyler Eifert is a target I think. Especially if Bennett or Allen get cut or don’t reconstruct their contracts.

Linebackers I feel will be a Draft selections as there’s no one in this current free agency that has the athletical ability that we need.

Pass rushing DT is Sheldon Richardson.

Corner there’s a couple in the draft we can potentially look at getting.

I think Eifert with Brady would be an incredible fit. When he's healthy, he's a dangerous player and he can block as well. Unfortunately if his price tag is high, we will need to pass because of the injury risk

The Patriots don't have a ton of cap room. They definitely don't need a wide receiver. Sheldon Richardson would be my top target in free agency. A cheaper veteran corner like Rashaan Melvin, Prince Amukamara, or TJ Carrie to replace Butler is probably worth a shot.

If Richardson is cheap then by all means we should go after him. I would like to see a veteran LB added to the mix and draft a defensive end

I think Eifert with Brady would be an incredible fit. When he's healthy, he's a dangerous player and he can block as well. Unfortunately if his price tag is high, we will need to pass because of the injury risk
I concur, but that “IF” is bigger than a Jordan Richards whiff. (In regards to Eifert’s health)

This would be my guess as well, but I'm honestly hoping they go for broke. If Brady gets hurt, there is simply no way the team can win a Superbowl, regardless of what QB they may draft/sign. I say screw the post BB/TB era, dont waste draft picks on his successor. I'll trade 10 years of post Brady to maximize this final run.

Cousin,
As much as I like the FA period, the Pats have in-house people to sign. Solder, Amendola, Flemming or Waddle (choose one),Lewis or Burkhead(choose one) and I would consider Bennett and Harrison if numbers work.

People like Ebner and Slater are not going anywhere IMO.

McClellan, Branch, Harris I would suspect are gone.

Not a Richards fan but BB is stubborn on players he likes. Can't see him on the 2018 53.

Now for two shocker cuts; Gostkowski and Gillislee (about $5mm in both)

Two shocker trades (Lions?) McCourty as you have Harmon as a luxury, and Hightower. For his $, McCourty is not a playmaker and I love Hightower but he is not dependable to be on the field. While they both have worth, The Pats have depth with Harmon who is a better play maker and can we afford to keep Hightower if he is not in the lineup? Maybe Rivers is the guy. Roberts is not we know that. Can we get value in trade? Would they fit Matt P?

Another potential good player to not make the 2018 53 is Malcolm Mitchell. Rather see someone healthy. It's a shame but his health is hurting us. Like Hightower, he cannot stay healthy. I don't know what you can get for him.

Why did they sign Britt for two years? Do Mitchel's knees have an expiration date?

I could see Zach Brown LB, a healthy Trent Murphy and a cut pick up like Talib if that happens, tweak this D enough for Flores. Can't afford much more like a Suh, Ansah or Lawrence at too much$.

Thoughts Cousins?
DW Toys

Cousin,
As much as I like the FA period, the Pats have in-house people to sign. Solder, Amendola, Flemming or Waddle (choose one),Lewis or Burkhead(choose one) and I would consider Bennett and Harrison if numbers work.

People like Ebner and Slater are not going anywhere IMO.

McClellan, Branch, Harris I would suspect are gone.

Not a Richards fan but BB is stubborn on players he likes. Can't see him on the 2018 53.

Now for two shocker cuts; Gostkowski and Gillislee (about $5mm in both)

Two shocker trades (Lions?) McCourty as you have Harmon as a luxury, and Hightower. For his $, McCourty is not a playmaker and I love Hightower but he is not dependable to be on the field. While they both have worth, The Pats have depth with Harmon who is a better play maker and can we afford to keep Hightower if he is not in the lineup? Maybe Rivers is the guy. Roberts is not we know that. Can we get value in trade? Would they fit Matt P?

Another potential good player to not make the 2018 53 is Malcolm Mitchell. Rather see someone healthy. It's a shame but his health is hurting us. Like Hightower, he cannot stay healthy. I don't know what you can get for him.

Why did they sign Britt for two years? Do Mitchel's knees have an expiration date?

I could see Zach Brown LB, a healthy Trent Murphy and a cut pick up like Talib if that happens, tweak this D enough for Flores. Can't afford much more like a Suh, Ansah or Lawrence at too much$.

Thoughts Cousins?
DW Toys
McCourty and Harmon were on the field together for something like 65% of the defensive snaps this season. You can’t just give McCourty’s snaps to Harmon when Harmon was already on the field more often than not.

Not understanding the Eifert love-fest. He's had one good season out of five. He's literally missed more games to injury than he's played, including 22 of his last 32 with a bad back.

McCourty and Harmon were on the field together for something like 65% of the defensive snaps this season. You can’t just give McCourty’s snaps to Harmon when Harmon was already on the field more often than not.

McCourty played 97% of the D-snaps.
Chung played 88%.
Harmon played 66%.

The math supports you.

It also implies that the "Big Nickel" was the Pats default alignment for 2017.

I am not sure tht it makes sense to sign someone with an injury history like that if your TE1 also rarely goes through a season without injury. It is not only about money but also a roster spot.

McCourty played 97% of the D-snaps.
Chung played 88%.
Harmon played 66%.

The math supports you.

It also implies that the "Big Nickel" was the Pats default alignment for 2017.

Yeh. How did that work out?
Interesting to see what kind of Defense Flores installs or is it same old ("sacks are not really important and a ton of yards but not points defense") that caught up to us in SB52. Does anyone disagree that it might be time to change gears on that?

My point is wampum or trade capitol. We need an infuse of talent especially on the D. Our middle of the D Line is mediocre at best. Our LB corps ROTS. We have some talent in the back end when they get it together, but need to replace Butler. We need upgrades. Who can the Patriots trade that might be redundant?

Chung is kind of a LB/S/Slot CB so he is more valuable.

McCourty was a CB. At 5'10" and 186 lbs, he might be the smallest safety in the NFL. He'll be 31 this summer. Could the 6'1" 204lb Eric Rowe convert to McCourty's job and still start Harmon at FS?

Cousins, the help we need is not coming from top tier FAs. We will be scrapping the 2nd and 3rd tier. That means slightly older or rehabbing talent.

In the middle of the Draft where we always are, looking at a kid like Flowers or even our luck with UDFA like Butler, Andrews and Jones, the Draft help takes a few years to blossom (Time vs. Tom). The blue chippers in the first round are drafted to be starters. The Saints took our pick for Ryan Ramczyk, and the Drafted Lattimore which were two key players on their sudden play-off Team.

So my theory is, I see not much help on the FA market other than a full court press for Zach Brown , the rehabbing Trent Murphy (a younger rehabbing Murphy could replace our rehabbing Hightower who will not play 16 this year as a given) and perhaps a Talib if he is let go.

This year's Draft is intriguing in positions we need. How do we move up or if not, create CAP space to secure at least one top FA,........ say an Ansah?

Thought? Would you trade Hightower and McCourty to Matt P and the Lions for their first round pick (number 20) if they would do that? Upgrade for the Lions and trusted disciples for Matt P.

CAP savings and a first rounder BB could take or trade.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Anybody notice Google doesn't let you get a useable image link anymore?

Thus ends my search for "Stomp!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back