PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply don't buy that. I don't believe for a second people would be ok being a crap team for a good chance at getting #6. People were pushing to go all in a decade ago to get #4. We won that one without sacrificing the future of the team. People then wanted us to go all in for #5. We won that one too without sacrificing the future. Yet here we are, people pushing to go all in for #6.

So yeah, people aren't going to magically stop caring about wins and losses once Brady retires.
I think the issue is that we all see that this year was the best opportunity for Brady to win 6. I am not saying they cant win in his remaining window but that might only be 2-3 more years (could be longer) and losing all these guys is a tough blow. But maybe the Patriots will pull a new starting LT out of thin air

Guys....Relaxxxx

Solder was never useless... but I never thought he was great. I’m glad they passed on that contract

They had no choice, because they didn't have the cap space.

Whether Solder is a "great" LT or not, he was the best that Pats had, by far, and there's no replacement LT at Solder's level immediately available.

They had no choice, because they didn't have the cap space.

Whether Solder is a "great" LT or not, he was the best that Pats had, by far, and there's no replacement LT at Solder's level immediately available.

Draft

Losing Solder really stinks..... but that's just the way it is with the salary cap. Either you go completely top heavy, or you focus more on the middle class. Belichick's MO, for better or for worse, is middle class.

We just have to hope those middle class players he grabs this year work out. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. This is the first situation that really has me down this offseason, but for that money I understand it. I don't like it, but I understand it.

Please happen. We need pass rush in the worst way.

That would be a small but good start in improving the defense. Lots of work to do on that front. Brady can make do with a semi-gutted offense no matter how frustrating it is to watch unravel right now or in September-October. It's having a dependable defense that ultimately matters come playoff time.

Where exactly are we spending the money again?
Serious question, i have no clue.

Seems to me that they might've been holding back on spending elsewhere in order to try to keep Solder.

Murphy has some crazy size and combine numbers:

6'6-250, 33 1/2 arms, 11+ hands!, not too fast 10y at 1.65 but of course amazing 3-cone and short shuttle - 6.78/4.20 which tops much smaller Shazier f.e.

he gained 30lbs for the move to DE

on the negative side:
- only 1 solid season - 2016
- in 2017 suspended four games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy.
- missed 2017 for torn ACL (IDK if susspension tolls to 2018?)

He’s also a big dude who is about to turn 30. John Ogden turned out okay but solder isn’t John ogden
Ogden actually only played till he was 33. Thought he had a 14 or 15 year career. Oops

I know Brady can turn water into wine on offense. I'm not worried about picking up a RB here and a WR there.

I am worried about the Offensive Line crumbling when it matters and I'm worried about the Defense totally sh*tting the bed also when it matters.

At this point with Solder gone, it looks like the O-Line is going to be another Scar patch-up job, and so be it, I trust the guy to work his magic. Hopefully we draft a stud tackle and Garcia is healthy and able to contribute.

But what I don't trust, at all, is this Defense, especially with our coordinator now gone. I'm sold on going all-in on the cap on shoring up this pass rush and coverage unit.

Get Suh, Brown, Breaux and whomever else to make this defense into a juggernaut that Brady doesn't have to carry in his remaining years in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes