PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's target our own important LT first. Nate Solder has been solid protecting the GOATs blindside. Great guy, great family, let's lock him up and keep this OLine in tact. What happened to our 4th round draft pick? First 3 picks LB, DE and CB, hope and pray that Chase Litton from Marshall is there either via a trade up or with that 5th round pick. Google this guy, big 6'5", big arm and athletic, tons of upside, let him learn the ropes the next 3 years under the GOAT...Google his highlights, kid is impressive...
The New England Patriots don't have a natural fourth round selection (Eric Rowe), a natural fifth round selection (Cassius Marsh), or a natural seventh round selection (Cassius Marsh).

2018 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

The New England Patriots don't have a natural fourth round selection (Eric Rowe), a natural fifth round selection (Cassius Marsh), or a natural seventh round selection (Cassius Marsh).

2018 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

They've got a first, 2 seconds, a 3rd, and a 6th. So, in terms of effect on draft value, you can just consider it a trade of a 4th, 5th and 7th for #43 (meaning JAG ended up grossing as 3rd round value on top of those picks), and there should be compensatory picks, as well.

$12m??

Free agent LT Nate Solder says he wants to continue playing.

Solder is considering retirement but the early signs suggest he'll return. The Patriots want him back but may have trouble signing him after he settled for a team-friendly deal in 2015. The Boston Herald expects Solder to command $12 million annually.

12 million annually.. you pay that to Solder without thinking twice about it.. another 2-3 year deal at that amount would be perfect

$12m??

Free agent LT Nate Solder says he wants to continue playing.

Solder is considering retirement but the early signs suggest he'll return. The Patriots want him back but may have trouble signing him after he settled for a team-friendly deal in 2015. The Boston Herald expects Solder to command $12 million annually.
Yeah, so what?

Left Tackle Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

2015: Cooks, 22 ... Sanders, 28
2016: Cooks, 23 ... Sanders, 29
2017: Cooks, 24 ... Sanders, 30
2018: Cooks, 25 ... Sanders, 31

2016 Garoppola 25 ....Brady 39
2017 Garoppola 26 ....Brady 40
2018 Garoppola 27 ....Brady 41

Any chance we could get a guy like Mo Wilkerson on a one-year prove it deal? He will likely be cut by the Jets and could maybe get a one year 8 million dollar deal?

Any chance we could get a guy like Mo Wilkerson on a one-year prove it deal? He will likely be cut by the Jets and could maybe get a one year 8 million dollar deal?

Hmm.. Interesting.. i'm going to do some research

Everything has to be evaluated through the prism of the salary cap.
If we are discussing whether or not the Patriots should get him, I agree you absolutely have to consider cost (in terms of trade *and* salary).

But if we are merely discussing the man’s talent, we don’t have to consider those things. The comment I responded to was “Emmanuel Sanders would be behind Cooks, Edelman, and likely Hogan as well.”

This comment discusses Sanders’ hypothetical role on NE if he were here, to which I replied that the idea that he would be behind Hogan is absurd (if he is healthy).

Hmm.. Interesting.. i'm going to do some research
I would find that improbable, myself.

We are almost surely going to dedicate our cap space to signing our own, with an eye on extending one or more of Cooks/Mason/Flowers for next year, if possible.

I think it’s poor value for SR (or Wilkerson) even if we had plenty of space like last year, so it makes it even less likely to happen this year. As a matter of fact, I’d be surprised to see any outsider commanding an 8m dollar cap hit here in FA this spring. Just my opinion. Higher focus on our own, I think.

I would find that improbable, myself.

We are almost surely going to dedicate our cap space to signing our own, with an eye on extending one or more of Cooks/Mason/Flowers for next year, if possible.

I think it’s poor value for SR (or Wilkerson) even if we had plenty of space like last year, so it makes it even less likely to happen this year. As a matter of fact, I’d be surprised to see any outsider commanding an 8m dollar cap hit here in FA this spring. Just my opinion. Higher focus on our own, I think.
Understanding that we’re looking at Wilkerson instead of Richardson (another poster muddied the waters a bit by mixing them up and confusing me), I still think that an 8m dollar cap hit would be a bit high to take a chance on, particularly during this period of free agency.

That said, Mo Wilkerson was someone whom I was extremely high on coming out of Temple, both due to a glaring need from trading Seymour without a viable replacement, and also due to Wilkerson’s versatility in multiple fronts/assignments. I think he’d be an intriguing reclamation project, but just think the risk is a bit much with the limited funds we’ll have, as well as the need to try and keep core guys like Lewis, Burkhead, Amendola, Solder, Slater, Ebner, etc. I still think they may try and take care of one of Flowers/Mason/Cooks before the summer ends, as well. We’ll see.

Not a free agent but trade for Sua Cravens.
Best part he plays Richards positon.

Just texted about this guy with a couple of friends yesterday, after I saw the Rotoworld blurb about him. From what I recall, word was Belichick wanted to draft him in the 2nd round in 2016 but Washington snapped him up earlier than expected in the 2nd. He was great for the first half of his rookie year as a hybrid safety/LB but then the injury bug hit him. BB would have to be convinced about this commitment to playing after last years issues.

Not necessarily. Sanders runs a deeper route tree than Cooks (I really like Cooks, I’m just stating facts) and may very well have better hands. I’m not discrediting Cooks at all, but Sanders is a very polished WR. I don’t think we really need him, but I wouldn’t mind if we signed him. He’s a NE receiver all the way. Nice fit in our offense. One caveat is that Sanders is much older and coming off of an injury. Lastly, look at the QBs that they each played with the last 3 seasons.

Sanders: Assweiler/Seimian/Old Fart Manning

Cooks: GOAT/ Brees

.....Nuff’ said.

If the Pats had been able to snag Sanders with their RFA tender offer way back in 2013 - when Sanders was 26 and just entering his prime years - that would've been something. Regardless of the QBs he's had throwing to him in Denver, he's still turning 31 on March 16th and closer to the end of his career than to his prime.

His salaries for 2018 and 2019 are $8.15M and $10.15M, respectively. So, trading for him is pretty much out of the question, cap-wise. If the Broncos cut him, that's a somewhat different story, but my guess is that his market is still fairly strong and the Pats would likely be outbid.

Statistically:

SANDERS, 8 seasons .. 115 games + 8 playoffs
... 58.9% catch rate .. 13.3 YPC .. 53.5 yds/GM .. 33 TDs
... 14 rushes/106 yards .. 783 scrimmage yds/season

In 2017 (12 games):
... 51.1% catch rate .. 11.8 YPC .. 46.3/GM . 2 TDs

COOKS, 4 seasons .. 58 games + 3 playoffs
... 65.2% catch rate .. 14.1 YPC .. 68.0 yds/GM .. 28 TDs
... 30 rushes/161 yds .. 1,026 scrimmage yds/season

In 2017 (16 games):
... 57.0% catch rate .. 16.6 YPC .. 67.6 yds/GM .. 7 TDs

----------
SANDERS in PIT (4 seasons, 56 games):
... 57.3% catch rate .. 12.6 YPC .. 11 TDs
... 2059 yds/scrimmage

SANDERS in DEN (4 seasons, 59 games):
... 60.0% catch rate .. 13.6 YPC .. 22 TDs
... 4203 yds/scrimmage

It appears that Sanders actually performed better with "crappy QBs" in Denver than he did with Roethlisberger in PIT.

Not a free agent but trade for Sua Cravens.
Best part he plays Richards positon.

It's possible that Cravens never plays again at all.

IF he's reinstated, he seems likely to be cut by the 'Skins. The Pats might give him a tryout, then, but there are several red flags.

Isiah Crowell 25 yo and Larry Fitzgerald.

Crowell
White
Lewis
RB 4

Mitchell
Andelman
Dola
Cooks
Fitzgerald

Asta Lavista

Gisselie
Britt
Dorsett
Burkhead

If you think Hightower was healthy and playing less than KVN I don't even know where to begin.

There you go again. Making sh*t up that was never said nor implied. But that is typical of you. Can't actually comprehend what is actually said.

Who said anything about him being "no better than a 4th LB"? There is an awful lot of limited to bad linebackers in this league. KVN is neither and I said I'd like him as a guy who can capably take snaps when Hightower inevitably misses some time but I also don't see him as significantly complementary to what we have in Hightower in that its not like he excels in the areas of the field where Hightower doesn't.

You're the one who claimed that KVN was a #4 LBer who should only be coming off the bench. You went so far as to imply that KVN only saw time because of injuries to McClellin and HT. Yet, I pointed out that KVN played 100% of the snaps in the 1st 4 games. Another poster pointed out that KVN averaged 95% of the snaps over the season. Another poster pointed out that KVN averaged more than 60% of the defensive snaps last year after he was acquired.

Yet, you think that KVN should be a bench player only coming in when needed.. You said as much.. And I'm not the only one who called out your BS on it. @maineman209 did as well.

He's better at taking on blocks than Shea (or at least what we saw from him) but Shea seems more comfortable dropping and is quicker into the flat. Its not like a linebacker will come in here day one and play the majority of minutes but adding even one player more comfortable carrying a player into the flat or up the field will be crucial and allow him to basically split duties with Mcclellin as the 3rd/4th linebackers

This has nothing to do with anything being talked about other than you attempting to divert away from your stupid claims..

Why do you keep talking about McClellin as if it's a certainty he'll be playing next season. It's much more likely that he's a cap casualty or retires than he plays another meaningful snap for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST