PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Brady Appeal Thread: D-Day Tuesday June 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
you also can argue that if wells had such a strong argument it would have been over much faster. 11 hours is almost unheard of for any appeals hearing. in court they give you 20-30 minutes for each side in an appeal.

That 20 or 30 min is an appeal upon the actions and evidence presented in the Lower Court which only covers the outline of their case, then the appealing party and the prosecutor submit briefs which detail all their arguments which the Judges will review and debate to come to a ruling.
The NFL is not a real court and allows new evidence in appeals. This is what took so long.

While I am not listening to Zo and that fat watermelon with legs and glasses, he does have a point. The fact that TB12 needed to spend 10hrs in a room to explain that he had nothing to do with something that didn't happen is a tough spot to be in. Especially when you know your accusers are powerful and have a major agenda against you and the team you play for.

My understanding is Brady testified for 2 hrs and then stayed until the end to hear everything.

interesting view point from a trial lawyer in chat with reiss today

WK (Cambridge)

I'm a trial lawyer and a Pats fan. I must say I find it significant that Brady did not ask Jastremski or McNally to testify. That would be the natural thing to do if he thought their testimony would be favorable, no? He probably couldn't have issued an enforceable subpoena to force them to come, but I bet they would have come voluntarily if they had testimony favorable to TB. If the texts are the smoking gun for Wells, then TB should want their testimony about that too.

Interesting. That's consistent with a theory I've been contemplating that:
  • J&M on their own hatched a scheme to deflate balls down to 12.5 if the refs left them above 12.5.
    • Maybe they did this in the wake of being "screwed by the refs" re: the 16 PSI balls in the Jets game.
    • Maybe they did it because Brady was riding J's ass hard about ball pressure (remember him telling them to have a paper copy of the 12.5 rule to show the refs) and they were tired of being chewed out.
  • In the AFCCG the refs left the balls at 12.5, so J&M didn't do anything, thus the balls ended up where the IGL said they should.

My understanding is Brady testified for 2 hrs and then stayed until the end to hear everything.
That's interesting. Can you tell us where that information came from?

• J&M on their own hatched a scheme to deflate balls down to 12.5 if the refs left them above 12.5.
    • Maybe they did this in the wake of being "screwed by the refs" re: the 16 PSI balls in the Jets game.
    • Maybe they did it because Brady was riding J's ass hard about ball pressure (remember him telling them to have a paper copy of the 12.5 rule to show the refs) and they were tired of being chewed out.
  • In the AFCCG the refs left the balls at 12.5, so J&M didn't do anything, thus the balls ended up where the IGL said they should.

If that is the case they should be hung up by their toes in one of Belichick's dungeons.

That's interesting. Can you tell us where that information came from?

I read that somewhere yesterday as well (regarding the two hr subject), yet the truth is that we have no idea who is right and who is wrong in terms of what's being reported. The New York Post and CBS sports reported that Brady didn't spend one second testifying and that everything was done through his legal team.

No one knows anything at this point, and that's the sad truth. We all have our own ideas about what will happen, just as we've seen throughout this entire process, but that and 5 bucks will get you a lousy cup of coffee at the local Starbucks ;)

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fa...ady-appeal-hearing-ends-after-nearly-11-hours

I read that somewhere yesterday as well (regarding the two hr subject), yet the truth is that we have no idea who is right and who is wrong in terms of what's being reported. The New York Post and CBS sports reported that Brady didn't spend one second testifying and that everything was done through his legal team.

No one knows anything at this point, and that's the sad truth. We all have our own ideas about what will happen, just as we've seen throughout this entire process, but that and 5 bucks will get you a lousy cup of coffee at the local Starbucks ;)

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fa...ady-appeal-hearing-ends-after-nearly-11-hours

For the time being, I feel pretty comfortable taking Schefter and Florio's sources (which, though they may not agree on interpretation, both made it clear that Brady testified) over the NYP.

I actually wanted a break from football during the offseason... I feel cheated.

I actually wanted a break from football during the offseason... I feel cheated.

This is the first offseason in 10 years that I didn't want a break so of course all this happens. I was looking forward to an entire offseason of NFL Game Rewind, Championship DVDs, and every FA, draft, and OTA article I could find. Not to mention the countless articles about how Brady and the Patriots were finally thought of as the best ever. The legacy talk was gonna be beautiful and vindication for all the sh.it since spygate. Also was looking forward to feeling a general sense of serenity.

Last edited:
For the time being, I feel pretty comfortable taking Schefter and Florio's sources (which, though they may not agree on interpretation, both made it clear that Brady testified) over the NYP.

Agreed. Schefter seems to be about the most reliable source out there.

To be completely honest, I don't really care one way or another if he did/didn't testify. That's what attorneys are for. The fact that they agreed to have any comments under oath tells me that they were prepared either way.

This is the first offseason in 10 years that I didn't want a break so of course all this happens. I was looking forward to an entire offseason of NFL Game Rewind, Championship DVDs, and every FA, draft, and OTA article I could find. Not to mention the countless articles about how Brady and the Patriots were finally thought of as the best ever. The legacy talk was gonna be beautiful and vindication for all the sh.it since spygate. Also was looking forward to feeling a general sense of serenity.

Yes, I hear that. Something tells me that a lot of people didn't want any of that stuff to happen though. Part of me actually wonders if there weren't similar attempts in the 2011 playoff run, in terms of planted rumors, etc.

Good to hear that it will only take a month for Goodell to decide what he already decided. That's really decisive of him. He's the decider.

Such a sham. Hopefully the federal court sees how much of a sham this thing has been. You know seeing is how Brady's punishment right off the bat was a violation of the CBA as troy vincent had no authority to issue the punishment. Which btw it took 5 days for them to issue the punishment, it should take 5 days after the briefs are handed in for a decision. But nope they gotta drag this out as much as they can because the longer they wait the longer Brady has to wait to go to court.

Excellent job of coming up with a possible scenario that does not contradict physics or the data reported in the Wells report. I especially like the AFCG bullet.

Did we ever get a breakdown of who the 40 people in there were?

interesting view point from a trial lawyer in chat with reiss today

WK (Cambridge)

I'm a trial lawyer and a Pats fan. I must say I find it significant that Brady did not ask Jastremski or McNally to testify. That would be the natural thing to do if he thought their testimony would be favorable, no? He probably couldn't have issued an enforceable subpoena to force them to come, but I bet they would have come voluntarily if they had testimony favorable to TB. If the texts are the smoking gun for Wells, then TB should want their testimony about that too.

Mike
(4:08 PM)

Thanks for sharing the thought, WK.

Really? Then goodcrap would have moved heaven and earth to put them on the stand. I'm not buying it, sounds like a troll. why voluntarily introduce someone who could, even by mistake, make you look bad.

Kornheiser did it (defend the Pats) again on today's PTI.

Maybe someone probed him like aliens do with a six foot baseball bat full of nails .

Of course that's just an expression, like calling a football coach a serial murderer.

At this point I think I am comfortable sharing the thing I heard before the Brady hearing but held back. A list was compiled from Wells' law firm public web site of every email address for every lawyer at the firm, not by me but by the firm itself, http://www.paulweiss.com/professionalsearchresult.aspx?all=all and there are almost 800 of them. It is rumored that a reporter contacted them all or some significant portion the night before the Brady appeal and asked them questions having to do with the Wells report and if anyone or firm was consulted prior to and besides Exponent for the science and if their analysis, opinion or review was not put in the Wells report. I would imagine that it is just a matter of time until more info on what went on inside the creation of the Wells Report comes out slowly. With a staff that large it is inevitable that someone will have an axe to grind etc.. One can only imagine how Mr Wells would have reacted to this inquiry on the eve of the Brady appeal though I am certain he is fully capable of dealing with press and was not the least flustered by it. He did so well in his own press conference (cough cough)

It would certainly be interesting if it came to pass that sources other than Exponent were consulted and/or utilized but their data and findings were not used in the final Wells report for some reason. I for one could not help but note that Appendix 1, the Exponent report starting on page 146 of the Wells report, was dated on May 6, the same date as the Wells report itself. If I were writing a final report based on reports submitted to me, I would expect them to have different dates. I guess these folks are just so good they could digest the Exponent report and write the 145 page Wells report on the same day. I would have needed far more time to put this together.

Are we to believe that the Wells report was written the same day they received the Exponent report? I am sure it is nothing and they are just that good and there were no other scientific sources consulted prior to Exponent and that no contradictory scientific findings were withheld from the Wells report which could have come in in the MONTHS before May 6th. I am certain that these folks would never have discarded information contradicting their theory and then gone and hired a scientific hired gun to deliver what they wanted but failed to obtain from previous sources. That would be as unethical as giving the accused false information and in court, you can be sure that the question on who else they used would be asked :)

Oh just ignore this story http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/s...st-over-patriots-deflated-footballs.html?_r=0
"A law firm hired by the N.F.L. to investigate footballs used by the New England Patriots has formally asked the Columbia University physics department for help in understanding how weather and temperature could affect the pressure in footballs, according to a summary of the communication obtained by The New York Times." The NFL never received info from any other source than Exponent I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes