PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I am wondering if Wolf is keeping his cash held for after the draft - they’ll know what positions they still need help at after having made their picks, and other teams will be cutting veterans that they no longer need because of players they drafted (or offering them in trade).

There’s always a small flurry of free agency activity after the draft. Their deals so far are largely for 1 year, so if they draft a rookie that can replace that player by next year with some development then they’re not on the hook with any wasted cash. It seems clear that they view their salary cap space as a tool with which to primarily extend their own drafted talent, and talent from other teams is secondary, but when you have gaps this big on offense you do need to bend that principle a bit. I think they’d spring for a real WR1 (they tried on Ridley, but only so far - which I’m fine with) and they’d probably pay Higgins or Aiyuk, but the trade comp to get them would likely be a contentious point. Also might have to wait til after the draft when this year’s picks no longer exist, so a 2025 pick is now the best the Bengals or 49ers can get. Of course, the Pats may have drafted a WR they love by then, anyway.

If Diggs cannot stand when Josh Allen chokes, he is going to absolutely love Dak Prescott.

While it’s possible it will only make their cap situation even worse than it’s already going to be. Prescott, Lamb, and Parsons are all free agents in 25’.

I am wondering if Wolf is keeping his cash held for after the draft - they’ll know what positions they still need help at after having made their picks, and other teams will be cutting veterans that they no longer need because of players they drafted (or offering them in trade).

There’s always a small flurry of free agency activity after the draft. Their deals so far are largely for 1 year, so if they draft a rookie that can replace that player by next year with some development then they’re not on the hook with any wasted cash. It seems clear that they view their salary cap space as a tool with which to primarily extend their own drafted talent, and talent from other teams is secondary, but when you have gaps this big on offense you do need to bend that principle a bit. I think they’d spring for a real WR1 (they tried on Ridley, but only so far - which I’m fine with) and they’d probably pay Higgins or Aiyuk, but the trade comp to get them would likely be a contentious point. Also might have to wait til after the draft when this year’s picks no longer exist, so a 2025 pick is now the best the Bengals or 49ers can get. Of course, the Pats may have drafted a WR they love by then, anyway.

I just think he’s being disciplined in his approach to the rebuild. He kept his free agent priorities, Oneenu and Duggar, and brought back guys like Uche, Jennings, and Bourne. Got rid of deadweight, Parker and some Special Teamers. He then brought in solid depth and rotation guys to strengthen the middle of the roster, like Takitaki and Osborne. But unfortunately wasn’t able to get any of the bigger name free agents to sign here, which really isn’t unusual when you suck. I think we will now see him focus more on signing Duggar and Barmore to long term deals, and maybe extend guys like Judon and Peppers. And as you sad I think we will see more signings after the Draft and the June cuts that come after teams have their new picks on the roster. I’m glad he didn’t sign Ridley, that was a ridiculous deal, and overall I think he’s being smart about rebuilding the roster. I don’t expect an immediate turnaround, but I do expect to see significant growth as a team in 25’, and a playoff spot that year. If not then I think a more critical evaluation of his work to the point will be deserved.

This rumor - is this an actual scooped story, or just some writer/twitterer speculating?

Edit - after looking, this is all I’ve seen so far, which is just nfl.com speculation.

It was just speculation, the mock drafters have been twisting themselves into pretzels to give away the Patriots 3rd pick. Some even had them giving away their 3 to the Bears for Fields, and then got all butthurt when I told them they were out of their goddamn minds.

It was just speculation, the mock drafters have been twisting themselves into pretzels to give away the Patriots 3rd pick. Some even had them giving away their 3 to the Bears for Fields, and then got all butthurt when I told them they were out of their goddamn minds.
They were only off by 1 year and about 200 pick slots, give them a break

They were only off by 1 year and about 200 pick slots, give them a break

It was hilarious, they actually thought the Bears were going to come out of it with both Williams and Harrison Jr.

It's not a priority, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriots sign another RB. Obviously Rhamondre Stevenson is the starter, but I envision Antonio Gibson to be more of a 3rd down back than an every down type. Ezekiel Elliott is still available, and he's probably the best free agent RB out there at this point. Kareem Hunt rushed for 9 TD as the backup to Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford for Cleveland in 2023. Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Damien Harris are also available.

It would be a nice insurance should Stevenson get hurt, and also as a way to limit his reps so he doesn't wear down. All those would be upgrades over Kevin Harris, and all those backs should be relatively cheap. Plus it's one less roster spot you have to keep in mind with a limited amount of draft picks - use those picks for other needs.

It's not a priority, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriots sign another RB. Obviously Rhamondre Stevenson is the starter, but I envision Antonio Gibson to be more of a 3rd down back than an every down type. Ezekiel Elliott is still available, and he's probably the best free agent RB out there at this point. Kareem Hunt rushed for 9 TD as the backup to Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford for Cleveland in 2023. Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Damien Harris are also available.

It would be a nice insurance should Stevenson get hurt, and also as a way to limit his reps so he doesn't wear down. All those would be upgrades over Kevin Harris, and all those backs should be relatively cheap. Plus it's one less roster spot you have to keep in mind with a limited amount of draft picks - use those picks for other needs.
I might be interested in picking up CEH. Obviously he didn't pan out as a first rounder but he's a talented player, still really young (24 years old) and someone you may be able to get for a few years on a cheaper deal. Would be ideal if they intend to extend Stevenson too - you could have your starter, backup and 3rd down back all locked up for the short term.

Draft one in 4th or 5th and sign a UDFA

Like a good uncle I'm always playing 90s rap for my nieces and nephews and they want nothing to do with it.
Same but for my kids.
My oldest respects it he has a been broad music taste.
Growing up for me it was gangsta rap and more gangsta rap.

Thank you for posting this. I believe at RB we are solid. Rham, Gibson and Harris Jr. Can get the job done. I believe Gibson is going to really give this offense something it's been sorely lacking.

Gibson is a big back, can line up outside, run WR routes,can block and still make guys miss in space. In my opinion he's the best FA signing. Kevin Harris played well as he saw more time last season. He's strong back, he can run between the tackles as well and has a nose for short yardage when needed. Rham is the guy, but he's knicked up alot and misses time. I'm really high on Gibson. However I still welcome another back in as well.

Same but for my kids.
My oldest respects it he has a been broad music taste.
Growing up for me it was gangsta rap and more gangsta rap.
My 20 year old is fascinated with the 90s era period. She dresses and listened to all 90s rap, real music unfiltered. She told me the other day she listened to it was written 3x and she could get the track I gave you power our her mind where esco was painting an image as life as a gun. Just a masterpiece.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back