PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
For what it's worth (which means probably nothing), I've heard it being touted on here and in other places that the current front office might be adopting the "Packer Way" when it comes to personnel/team building. I have just this to say about that: The "Packer Way" has produced just one SB since the Patriots have won 6 (while appearing in 9). Also, Packer management did not do a good job of giving Aaron Rodgers or Brett Farve before him, sufficient talent to win more than their combined 2 SB Championships. I absolutely believe that the core of any legit SB contending/winning team is built through the draft (with smart FA acquisitions to complete the puzzle). That being said, with few exceptions, SB winning teams need a Franchise QB. Brock Purdy is a good QB and had a superior team around him on offense and a solid defense and special teams. But, until he ever proves otherwise, he's not Elite. And, the team that he and San Francisco lost to, primarily lost because the Chiefs had an Elite QB. I know that finding a Franchise QB is often a crap shoot at best, but, if your team absolutely has the chance to draft one that they believe can be just that, then you draft that guy, sit him for his rookie season if he's on the young side, and build the team around him, then sustain it through the draft and free agency. I won't fault the team for at least swinging and missing on a possibly elite QB (which Mac Jones was never going to be). In a San Francisco situation, Jones may have been a good game manager type, but he didn't have the "It Factor". Mahomes wasn't considered a Franchise QB when he was drafted (anymore than TB was, although was much more highly rated coming into the draft than TB was). If anyone disagrees, fine. But let's just politely agree to disagree.
But but but the Packers know how to draft WRs!!!! Waaaaaaaahhhhh!!! Everyone knows WRs are how you win Super Bowls!!! Waaaaaaah!!! Madden! Waaahhhhh!!!! Fantasy! Waaaahhh!!! Draft Kings! Ughhhhh I think I just came

Last edited:

George Pickens and Brandon Aiyuk on the same team? Pickens was a pain in the ass when he wasn't getting the ball when he was the only real receiving option. Imagine what he would be if he had to split catches with Aiyuk.

But but but the Packers know how to draft WRs!!!! Waaaaaaaahhhhh!!! Everyone knows WRs are how you win Super Bowls!!! Waaaaaaah!!! Madden! Waaahhhhh!!!! Fantasy! Waaaahhh!!! Draft Kings! Ughhhhh I think I just came
It's funny, because that's what some people are believing!

Let me reiterate, the Packer way sucks!

I’m feeling the trade 3 for Justin Jefferson and 3 firsts and a third.
Move back up to 5 and get JJ McCarthy in front the Giants.
Perfect draft.

I don't understand this

He was signed as a tackle.

He got the best money he could get.

When they needed him elsewhere because Wynn flamed out, they moved him to the other tackle spot.

I don't understand this argument and I don't see how this is a problem. You don't get more money for moving to a better position. That doesn't make any sense.
He was signed as a RIGHT tackle, which was about 12 million less than what was the going rate for a LEFT tackle at the time, and then he was moved to left tackle, after the understanding he was coming in to play right tackle. It was clear they never actually intended to play him at right tackle because of how quickly the switch happened after he signed.

He was pissed off about it. Rightfully so.

He was signed as a RIGHT tackle, which was about 12 million less than what was the going rate for a LEFT tackle at the time, and then he was moved to left tackle, after the understanding he was coming in to play right tackle. It was clear they never actually intended to play him at right tackle because of how quickly the switch happened after he signed.

He was pissed off about it. Rightfully so.
Let's take each point:

1. Top 5 left tackles are making $18m to $25m; while the top 5 right tackles are making $18m to $20m. I mean, look at Mike Onwenu. He's making a lot.

2. It's irrelevant what they intended for him; he got his value on the open market. In fact, they did him a favor. LTs are more in demand than RTs.

3. Isaiah Wynn was at LT when Brown was signed; they wanted Brown as a RT, but when Wynn kept getting hurt, they flipped them.

Let's take each point:

1. Top 5 left tackles are making $18m to $25m; while the top 5 right tackles are making $18m to $20m. I mean, look at Mike Onwenu. He's making a lot.

2. It's irrelevant what they intended for him; he got his value on the open market. In fact, they did him a favor. LTs are more in demand than RTs.

3. Isaiah Wynn was at LT when Brown was signed; they wanted Brown as a RT, but when Wynn kept getting hurt, they flipped them.
Now, yes. This was not the case 3 years ago.

Fair to say OBJ is probably the most overrated and overhyped player in football history
I'm having a hard time even coming up with number 2. I can think of some guys like Jerome Bettis who's myth maybe got a little away from them like the whole Bus thing but he was still pretty great. Not that OBJ sucks but there is definitely some next level overhype that he did not earn like the Bus. The best I can come up with is Bosworth but then I don't think he was ever good enough for this discussion just a bust and there's countless examples of that.

But did you see the one-handed catch he made in 2014?!
His first 3 years were amazing, looked like the next great one. And then he fell off a cliff with no mention by Mac Kellerman. Really the guy has had a lot of football injuries. If he could stay healthy and played for a real qb he could be be a value signing.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back