PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
McCarthy reminds me of a mix of Brady, winning pedigree and attitude.
Aaron Rodgers arm strength and mobility.
Alex smith, projects the football plays within a system.

I don’t think Harbaugh is blowing smoke when he says he loves the kid.
Big difference is JJM played for a vastly better Michigan offense than the UM offense of Lloyd Carr circa 1999.

So while JJM was all that you said, he never put the team on his shoulders like Brady did in 1999.

Go back to the East Lansing game where he was platooning with highly touted Drew Henson who screwed the pooch against Michigan State. Nick Saban was MSU’s HC.

Brady comes in over three TDs down in the middle of the third quarter and damn near pulls off the dramatic upset.

That’s the game that the UM players were ready to revolt if TB wasn’t named the permanent starter.

And the bowl game against Alabama, the best Crimson Tide team until the Saban era, was all Tom Brady.

JJM had the luxury of a more dominant OL and much better perimeter weapons. He was NEVER asked to be the catalyst. He was asked to be more of a game manager.

When I see JJM, I see Trent Green.

In the nfl the premium will be on check downs, mental processing speed. Brady had already demonstrated that in college. JJM? File on “YTBD.”

Looks like we whiffed on Tyrone Smith also. Yet another mistake in this horrible FA season.

It seems like our off season, so far, is not being run professionally. The Patriots are screwing up at every turn. I suspect that a meddling J. Kraft is the problem, but I don't know for sure.
Whiffed?

JEST offered him a contract up to $20m. They also offer Aaron Rodgers. They're all in this year.

I don't get where the Pats should grab 33 year old (or 32 - Allen) at this point in a rebuild. Rent-a-star is for teams ready to make a run. This team isn't it.

They missed on a few really good younger players this FA. But I won't complain about them missing on soon-to-be-extinct dinosaurs. Those are always a gamble - Buffalo had to shed a bunch of talent this year for Von Miller.

So many hate the moves and re-signings of the Pats.
I actually think it's a good thing. Look, when Carroll left and BB came in, there was a LOT of the core team that stayed.
BB brought in some important FA's, but it was the core that wanted to fight and prove they belonged and carried that '01 team to win.

Could be the same thing now.
Andrews, Henry, Bourne, Onwenu, Jennings, Uche all chose to come back because I think they want to prove they can win.
We'll still bring in supporting roles throughout the offseason.
And the draft seems like it's shaping up to be an exciting offensive haul (for the first time in 25 years)

So if we’re doing this off-season the way we appear to be doing it:
1) Somehow let’s find a way to get a decent LT option to sign. That opens up the 2nd and 3rd rounds to attack the WR room. Then aim at 2025 to draft your LT of the future.

2) Work on a Barmore extension.

3) Get Dugger figured out.

4) Although GM Judon isn’t working out, let’s sign Judon the player to an extension of some sort. Then go after edge as well in 2025.

This would lock in Barmore and White on the DL. Bentley and Judon on the 2nd level. Dugger and Gonzo in the backfield. That’s a good start at keeping the defense going.

Then we can continue to build the offense.
From Mike Reiss’s column today:

On item 2: “As Bill Belichick used to say, the team-building process continues over the course of the year and they still have A LOT of work to do, which is expected to include starting extension talks with promising fourth-year defensive tackle Christian Barmore.”

On item 4: “When the Patriots restructured outside linebacker Matthew Judon's contract last August, which reduced his 2024 base salary to $6.5 million as some of his money was moved into 2023, it set the sides up to return to the negotiating table this offseason.

Now, with the first wave of free agency over, it opens a window for the sides to work toward a resolution, which they've begun to preliminarily explore. Judon's return from a torn biceps that limited him to four games last season adds a layer to any discussions, as the team will likely want to protect itself with incentives that reward Judon for being on the field.”

Whiffed?

JEST offered him a contract up to $20m. They also offer Aaron Rodgers. They're all in this year.

I don't get where the Pats should grab 33 year old (or 32 - Allen) at this point in a rebuild. Rent-a-star is for teams ready to make a run. This team isn't it.

They missed on a few really good younger players this FA. But I won't complain about them missing on soon-to-be-extinct dinosaurs. Those are always a gamble - Buffalo had to shed a bunch of talent this year for Von Miller.
I understand that mentality, but on the other hand - this offense is so bereft of talent, that maybe you need to plug one or two of those guys in here for a couple of years, so the rookies you draft don't get killed. And maybe a free agent or two can see the Patriots are building something instead of going full tank.

Pats are irrelevant. Going to be a few years before people care about them again. They seem okay with carrying over 30 million or so in cap room. Good offseason for the Krafts thats for sure
Or, they can extend Barmore and Judon.

I will be shocked if Rodgers returns and/or regains most of his mobility. Smith was a good signing by the Jets though.

Last edited:
Good addition to the team. #2/3 type WR. Lined up both in the slot and outside.

We have a bolstered roster, and some good FA moves. With a top QB, I think we could compete.
Main problem - not a lot of young depth especially on offense. It's a lot of middle-aged vets.
We're going to have to build via 2-3 straight A+ draft classes to really compete.

QB, WR, TE, RB - in that order.

Spent $51M before signing KJ, for 17 free agents + Dugger's tag. That's $2.83M avg per player signed/tagged. Good use of resources.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back