PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really that simple though.

Minnesota's roster is fairly complete, particularly on offense, and the difference between an A quarterback and a B quarterback for them could be the difference between title contention.

NE's offensive roster is a full of holes and they can either take the A quarterback, or trade down and take the B quarterback plus get extra picks to also get an A wide receiver/tackle plus more.

You can make the argument that you should take the better QB and just deal with the holes and plug them over the next couple years and you'll be better off for it in the long run, and that's certainly one way to look at it. But you can also more quickly build a more complete team with a trade down, and you know what kind of quality players are available in this draft in the first two rounds (there's a lot, and at positions that you have needs at), versus not knowing where you're picking down the road, what those free agent markets will look like, what those draft classes end up looking like, etc.
Yes it is that simple. The most important and difficult position to fill is the QB. Why mess around trying to select a lower graded QB that higher odds say will be a bust, when there are dozens of receivers that can be hits? Without "the guy" you end up right where we are 3 years down the road. Of course there's no guarantee #3 will be the guy, but you have to try (if that's what your assessment concludes).

Pickett sucks but its funny how russel freaking Wilson caused this

I admire teams that quickly move on from a 1st round pick, they know, isn't the guy. Arizona did it with Ross. I hope Wolf is the same way, should they happen to miss on #3.

I admire teams that quickly move on from a 1st round pick, they know, isn't the guy. Arizona did it with Ross. I hope Wolf is the same way, should they happen to miss on #3.

Usually id like to give them 3 years, but pickett was a lower ceiling guy kinda like mac.

I think these guys subconsciously contribute to me not wanting to pass up the chance to draft a qb top 10

Yes it is that simple. The most important and difficult position to fill is the QB. Why mess around trying to select a lower graded QB that higher odds say will be a bust, when there are dozens of receivers that can be hits? Without "the guy" you end up right where we are 3 years down the road. Of course there's no guarantee #3 will be the guy, but you have to try (if that's what your assessment concludes).
Sounds like you don't value the WR position.

Throwing out ideas...

Trade #3, #180 to MIN for #11, #23, #108, 2025 1st

Take TE Brock Bowers at #11

Package #23 with #68 to move up for an OT

Package #34 with #103, #108 to move back into the 1st round and nab a WR

Let Brissett and Zappe manage another struggle bus offense that has us picking towards the top of next year's draft. We'll have that and an extra 1st to look at the QB landscape. We'll have, hopefully, some foundational talents in place on offense with the above picks and hopefully some internal development. We'll have a ton of cap space again next year and a better foundation to sell guys on.

I didn't see how ridding ourselves of Belichicks lousy free agent moves, cap management and drafting would get this franchise moving in the right direction, but I do now.

Throwing out ideas...

Let Brissett and Zappe manage another struggle bus offense that has us picking towards the top of next year's draft. We'll have that and an extra 1st to look at the QB landscape. We'll have, hopefully, some foundational talents in place on offense with the above picks and hopefully some internal development. We'll have a ton of cap space again next year and a better foundation to sell guys on.
Only nitpick I'd have is that I don't think bolded would get you back into the first round.

Kenny Pickett and a 4th was just traded to the Eagles for a 3rd and 2 7ths.

When I looked at the year Pickett had, it was reminiscent of Mac Jones's 2nd year. Started poorly in first half of season with plenty of embarrassing interceptions, then had a high ankle sprain like Mac did, underwent tight-rope surgery, only to finish the season with Rudolph as the starter.

Mike Tomlin quickly made his assessment and he cut bait. Sent Pickett on his way.

In New England we're victim to the football equivalent of the sunk-costs fallacy.

Throwing out ideas...

You just delayed where they are today by a year. No elite receiver is coming here for Brissett/Zappe, especially after seeing you pass on the #3 QB the previous season.

No thanks.

Only nitpick I'd have is that I don't think bolded would get you back into the first round.
Honestly, that's fine. More about wanting to secure the 5th year option with that move. As many wide open roster holes or even just spots that could use some touching up, a 3 for 1 pick deal at that point might not even make sense.

Right, but teams with higher picks mess it up all the time. Trubisky. Daniel Jones. Ryan Leaf. You have to trust the guys doing our evaluations and the guy with the say to trade.
Exactly what I was going to say. Different sport but same result. Look at how we got Tatum.

Danny was going to take him at 1, but some how Philly was sold on that PG (can't even remember his name) and even crazier, most everyone knew that, however Danny convinced Philly otherwise. Got some picks out of them to jump LA, who everyone knew was going to take Ball.

I won't call it the worst trade ever but simply based on pure stupidity it's up there.

I didn't see how ridding ourselves of Belichicks lousy free agent moves, cap management and drafting would get this franchise moving in the right direction, but I do now.
Finally!

Pickett was the 1st QB taken in the 2022 draft @ #20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back