PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've really warmed on penix.
If the patriots trade with Minny and Penix is there at 23, screw it, take him, you’ve already hopefully got an elite talent OT or WR, you hopefully got a pick for next season and you’ll be picking 11 picks later again, I don’t hate it.

But the way this is shaping up I think they’re staying pat at 3

I don't think he will go top 15 but I also don't think he is a 2nd rounder anymore. His medicals cleared. He's probably going in the 20s.

That said, the Pats did not meet with him at the combine, they met with everybody but him seemingly - so either they hate him specifically, or he's their guy and they're hiding it. If he's their guy then 23 is probably the sweet spot.

Also, he's a lefty so the LT problem becomes much less of a problem since the tackles invert - your RT is now your blindside protector and you've got Onwenu who is fine. Okorafor is probably good enough at LT if it's no longer the QB's blindside.
Great insights! Thanks for this I've been trying to get some insights on him. I personally feel he's a sleeper. But I just have this odd feeling that we are going to take him. I'm not 100% sold on us staying at #3.. but Ross you have me intrigued that penix Jr. Being a lefty and the LT would be less of a concern.

I would take Williams too. Not interested in Brown.
A poster just let me know brown signed with KC, he will give them some serious speed on the outside.

That is an interesting nugget of info. I always thought it made it complicated because teams would conceal who they want to take, but I guess if you just hold until draft day and the team currently holding the pick is on the clock then yeah, all you have to say is "is your guy still there" without having to specifically ask who that guy is. Never really considered it from that perspective.
Cousin, I think it impossible that the Pats have "picked their guy" at QB just yet with Pro Days still available. Sure they have their binky but those things can change.
The Patriots will have four staffers in attendance Tuesday, per ESPN's Mike Reiss:

• QBs coach T.C. McCartney
  • College scouting director Camren Williams
  • National scout Tony Kinkela
  • Area scout J.T. Hill
Nix completed 77.4 percent of his passes for 4,508 yards with 45 touchdowns and three interceptions in 14 games for the Ducks last season. He led Oregon to a 12-2 record (both losses to Washington) and a victory over Liberty in the Fiesta Bowl. The 24-year-old quarterback was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year.

I am sure that they did not go to Oregon on vacation for the weather.

The Draft is a crap shoot. Most of the present "ALL Pro QBs" with success were NOT top five QBS in the Draft. Of the 32 only Stroud and Lawrence I would classify as successful. Goff and Mayfield have switched Teams. You want to throw in Tue, (5) go ahead but he regressed..
DW Toys

You make alot of sense.. I'd absolutely ca about Herbert too.

im no cap expert but according to otc he doesn’t look tradeable with all that dead cap. Unless the team who trades for him agrees to pay the expected cap #? Not sure how it works

im no cap expert but according to otc he doesn’t look tradeable with all that dead cap. Unless the team who trades for him agrees to pay the expected cap #? Not sure how it works

Yeah . Forgot that he just signed a new deal last season.. well we likely could consume his cap hit we haven't even spent half of our available cap space yet I believe.

It’s funny I think we’re the lone fanbase or maybe one of the few who worry about cap space. We’ve been so conditioned not to overspend it’s rotting our brains.

Teams always find ways to make the cap work for them
Yes, absolutely cap room can always be manipulated and pushed over to the next year.

That said, the Pats did not meet with him at the combine, they met with everybody but him seemingly - so either they hate him specifically, or he's their guy and they're hiding it. If he's their guy then 23 is probably the sweet spot.
It's funny thinking about a world where one hires someone for millions of dollars a year for a job but ends up not interviewing them or maybe even talking to them at all before the job offer.

That being said, I wonder if it's rare that someone from an org doesn't end up talking to a 1st Rnd prospect at any point predraft.

It's funny thinking about a world where one hires someone for millions of dollars a year for a job but ends up not interviewing them or maybe even talking to them at all before the job offer.

That being said, I wonder if it's rare that someone from an org doesn't end up talking to a 1st Rnd prospect at any point predraft.
I am guessing they'll go to Washington's Pro Day and talk to him there, but under the guise of looking at Odunze.

All the reports are that Adam Peters wants Maye, if true then Washington is taking Maye.
I'd always wondered about the potential Howell / Maye dynamic. Those 2 were best friends at one point, so trading him away would make sense, as that would be weird to have both of them there (although I could be talked into the other scenario)... or they're just gonna ride with #2 overall Mariota because someone picked that high must be a franchise QB!

I agree, if he stays healthy he will eclipse 1,000 yards
Absolutely, I would have loved for us to have him we need at least 2 guys with elite speed outside.. it frustrating because Thornton is the one guy that possess it. For some reason or another we just haven't seen it.

All the reports are that Adam Peters wants Maye, if true then Washington is taking Maye.
I don't think Daniels is a perfect fit in NE's new offense, but I think he's very desirable to Minnesota (or others, like Las Vegas), so if he's there at 3 they can probably get a lot for him.

Care to share these reports? Kingsbury coached Caleb. Who's the most similar QB to Caleb, Maye or Daniels?

I don't understand the fascination with Drake. Yes he has some good statistics but the tough teams he played each year beat him. He might be the guy but I don't see where his resume says he is close. The Pats have so many holes, everyone here knows that already, this is a three year re-work and better dam sure hope Mayo is up for it. Id say trade the Vikings two #1 picks and do as much damage as you can with it. I like Bo Nix more but maybe there is a reason im not an NFL coach or GM :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents