PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Minnesota execute the trade they just made if they didn’t have another deal in place to move up to 3?

Not even close. Just to get to 6 or below to land McCarthy is going to take a lot more than they have now.

For me, I want the Qb, but if they offer Jefferson on a sign and trade plus a first and more I might salivate a little.
Here, Here on the Jefferson Trade Cousin. Bravo!
DW Toys

I do wonder if the all the word out of the Patriots camp about how much they love the top 3 QBs, how much they're all worth a top 3 pick, how much they're definitely taking one of them at 3 - is just smoke. In reality they might only like 1 and know they probably won't get him so they want to trade down but don't want to seem desperate and instead want a robust trade offer. So they have to make the market look strong for the pick. If that's the case, probably wise to trade the pick earlier before anyone knows with too much certainty who will be available at 3.

If they grade Maye/Daniels similarly to Nix/McCarthy then this would be wise posturing. Or even if they don't really think any of them after Caleb or whomever are high 1st round candidates, then even still.
Are you suggesting the Pats will trade #3 before draft day?

Would Minnesota execute the trade they just made if they didn’t have another deal in place to move up to 3?
Fair statement
DW Toys

One other scenario in my head:

If you traded down with Minnesota, and get their two 1's, plus a 25 1st. You could find a way to trade the later 1st, the 34th pick and the 25 1st to move up to 5 with the Chargers. Leaving you with the 5th and 11th pick. Pick 5 likely lets you get whoever of Maye/McCarthy is not taken. And if someone trades up for one of those at 4, you take MHJ and take Nix at 11.

Just spitballing here
Unless MIN trades up to 5 with LAC to get Jefferson. LAC just lost their 2 top receivers.

I may be on my own here but I don't think the Pats are in a position to move out of 3. Can you imagine we did and Maye turns into an absolute stud (Face of the NFL level stud) and we end up with a QB worse than Mac, a WR who can't catch a cold and a Tackle who quickly becomes a turnstyle at NFL level. I just don't see the new Pats FO/Coaching Staff overthinking this. Taking a swing at a possible franchise QB and failing is forgiveable. Trading down and being no further forward isn't.

I get it. Folk on the web like sexy trades. I just don't see it unless Minny really did lose their minds and gave us something like 3 firsts and JJ. Even then we could still end up with Mac 2.0 lobbing ducks.

I may be on my own here but I don't think the Pats are in a position to move out of 3. Can you imagine we did and Maye turns into an absolute stud (Face of the NFL level stud) and we end up with a QB worse than Mac, a WR who can't catch a cold and a Tackle who quickly becomes a turnstyle at NFL level. I just don't see the new Pats FO/Coaching Staff overthinking this. Taking a swing at a possible franchise QB and failing is forgiveable. Trading down and being no further forward isn't.

I get it. Folk on the web like sexy trades. I just don't see it unless Minny really did lose their minds and gave us something like 3 firsts and JJ. Even then we could still end up with Mac 2.0 lobbing ducks.
And if we don't and Maye bombs and a couple of the QBs behind him light it up?

They've got to make their evaluations and do the best they can. It's really that simple. If they don't see a #3 as a better choice than someone they can get later, they should trade and collect a bunch of chips.

If they do see a player available at QB for #3 in whom they truly believe, jump and get him.

They've got to make their evaluations and do the best they can. It's really that simple. If they don't see a #3 as a better choice than someone they can get later, they should trade and collect a bunch of chips.
...of course. However, absolutely nobody on here knows what they're thinking. Time will tell. That said, if other teams are all over Pick 3 to get Maye (assuming Daniels goes at 2), why would we be seeing him differently to the rest of the NFL? Do we still think we're cleverer than everyone else. I hope not.

...of course. However, absolutely nobody on here knows what they're thinking. Time will tell. That said, if other teams are all over Pick 3 to get Maye (assuming Daniels goes at 2), why would we be seeing him differently to the rest of the NFL? Do we still think we're cleverer than everyone else. I hope not.
You're assuming that everyone trying to trade up would be doing so for Maye. I don't think that's a given.

This. Just don’t over think it. Just make the pick
Cousin, If we had done anything at all in FA you might sell me. But nyet. In order not to get tared and feathered, Wolf has to make a splash in the Draft. Picking up a few more picks helps his odds.

A QB who sits on the bench and holds a clip board is in the past a few seasons ago. You have Levis, Stroud and even Jones who had a decent rookie year, but less we forget, Mac had a better roster in his rookie year and if you hate him or not, McDaniels.

You can get a good QB at #11. Mahomes was pick #10. Prescott was a 4th and Brady was a 6th. Only three of the past top five of the Draft QBs have had a "franchise" QB attached and neither remained with their Teams their whole career.

DW Toys

You're assuming that everyone trying to trade up would be doing so for Maye. I don't think that's a given.
At the moment I can't see who else Minny would be after. Daniels smells like a lock for Washington. But who knows.

I truly think something is up.. I think we are going to get AN ELITE WR in here. Allen is nice player, but often injuries plays half a season on average. For now I'd take Hollywood brown and Mike Williams on the outside.
he signed with KC
The Chargers seem to be blowing it up.
Get crazy call about Herbert
Or trade next years' first for Rashawn Slater.

Cousin, If we had done anything at all in FA you might sell me. But nyet. In order not to get tared and feathered, Wolf has to make a splash in the Draft. Picking up a few more picks helps his odds.

A QB who sits on the bench and holds a clip board is in the past a few seasons ago. You have Levis, Stroud and even Jones who had a decent rookie year, but less we forget, Mac had a better roster in his rookie year and if you hate him or not, McDaniels.

You can get a good QB at #11. Mahomes was pick #10. Prescott was a 4th and Brady was a 6th. Only three of the past top five of the Draft QBs have had a "franchise" QB attached and neither remained with their Teams their whole career.

DW Toys
The splash is taking the QB not trading down

DW Toys
Amen.

The odds that all three of the first QBs are great is infinitesimally small. The odds are that 2 of the 3 will be busts. They need to be damned sure of that guy at #3. To your point, you can 100% get a QB later. Find the right guy, don't be in love with what the analysts say.

I remember reading a thing where Bill was talking about trades, and it was always that they'd check in when on the clock and ask, "Is your guy still there?" If so, then they'd pull the trigger. So I think they have a trade in place in principle, but won't pull the trigger unless the person they want is at 3 or 5 or wherever they're targeting.

I remember reading a thing where Bill was talking about trades, and it was always that they'd check in when on the clock and ask, "Is your guy still there?" If so, then they'd pull the trigger. So I think they have a trade in place in principle, but won't pull the trigger unless the person they want is at 3 or 5 or wherever they're targeting.
That is an interesting nugget of info. I always thought it made it complicated because teams would conceal who they want to take, but I guess if you just hold until draft day and the team currently holding the pick is on the clock then yeah, all you have to say is "is your guy still there" without having to specifically ask who that guy is. Never really considered it from that perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3