PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't want to make the move, and definitely don't make that move without at least obtaining the 2025 first rounder.
That would be nice take the haul. :cool:

Yes but without a franchise QB you have nothing.
If we trade 3 and Maye turns out to be Allen, Stanford, Herbert.
No decision is going to fix that.

Agreed , the way i see it the team needs a great qb, great wr, and functional LT /fs to really be competitive. Trading down might give us a better shot at having 9 win seasons but swinging big at qb and maybe next year at wr is more likely to get us back to actually contending.

Sam Darnold with all that fire power on the Vikes should be very good.
Darnold has been a « should » since Day one of his career.

One other scenario in my head:

If you traded down with Minnesota, and get their two 1's, plus a 25 1st. You could find a way to trade the later 1st, the 34th pick and the 25 1st to move up to 5 with the Chargers. Leaving you with the 5th and 11th pick. Pick 5 likely lets you get whoever of Maye/McCarthy is not taken. And if someone trades up for one of those at 4, you take MHJ and take Nix at 11.

Just spitballing here

Minny potentially throwing the bank to get 3 tells me Drake Maye is franchise level legit.

Welcome to Foxborough, Drake!

Minny can take Bo Nix.

(Be Prepared…Rose/Patriot colored glasses coming on)

The “burning money” created higher expectations for Pats fans. I was so ****ing excited for this last Monday I could barely sleep Sunday. Expecting to get to lunchtime and having all these huge signings. Then checking Twitter and this site every 30 seconds it felt like over the last few days. And it has been a major letdown, not gonna lie.

But I stepped back, took a breath and remembered rebuild, it’s gonna take time. Our organization as a whole is not in a good place at the moment. We have to dig ourselves out.

We have to change the narrative about our team.

I’m leaving the defense alone, minus a few tweaks, they’re ready to go.

So now let’s compare last years and current offensive rosters:

QB (Improved)
I just don’t see any argument that Brissett and the #3 pick isn’t better than Mac and Zappe.

RB (Same/Improved)
Gibson can provide what Elliott did.

WR (Likely Large Improvement)
How can it not be. Bourne for a full year more than makes up for Parker’s loss. Douglas a yr older, and draft as well. Easy improvement.

TE (Same)
Hooper and Gesicki cancel out. Brown can be replaced

Interior OL (Improved)
Sow a year of experience. Andrews solid. Hopefully Strange is healthier

Tackle (Worseish right now)
Onwenu big upgrade at RT. Depth better. Sign Leno/Tyron and this is upgraded.

Alright BRING IT…
Muhammad Ali Dancing GIF

We're not starting the rookie. Not with this supporting cast.
It's not out of the question with the draft still to come. Mac started as a rookie. But I understand we are weak all over on offense.

Minny potentially throwing the bank to get 3 tells me Drake Maye is franchise level legit.

Welcome to Foxborough, Drake!

Minny can take Bo Nix.
Exactly, if a team and I bet Minnesota isn’t the only one looking to trade up for a QB, wouldn’t that tell you to stay put and draft a potential franchise quarterback?

I've really warmed on penix.
I don't think he will go top 15 but I also don't think he is a 2nd rounder anymore. His medicals cleared. He's probably going in the 20s.

That said, the Pats did not meet with him at the combine, they met with everybody but him seemingly - so either they hate him specifically, or he's their guy and they're hiding it. If he's their guy then 23 is probably the sweet spot.

Also, he's a lefty so the LT problem becomes much less of a problem since the tackles invert - your RT is now your blindside protector and you've got Onwenu who is fine. Okorafor is probably good enough at LT if it's no longer the QB's blindside.

Very unlikely McCarthy will be there I’m afraid.
I am not hung up on him JJ hope he works out for the Team who takes him Top 10.

The one scenario I can think of here:

Vikings are willing to trade note only two first this year, but their next years first as well.

You then take the two first you received from them this year (maybe even add an extra mid rounder for measure), and move back up to 5 with the Chargers and take McCarthy.

Netting an extra 1st from the deal.
I have questions weather the Chargers take McCarthy, shiny new coach Limbaugh or not. You have a talented young Herbert and they just clobbered their WR room. They have Mimms and that's it. I think the Chargers are now in the WR business cousin.
DW Toys

(Be Prepared…Rose/Patriot colored glasses coming on)

The “burning money” created higher expectations for Pats fans. I was so ****ing excited for this last Monday I could barely sleep Sunday. Expecting to get to lunchtime and having all these huge signings. Then checking Twitter and this site every 30 seconds it felt like over the last few days. And it has been a major letdown, not gonna lie.
I agree. They should have said "full throttle". We would know 100% what to expect.

After free agency I could just see them saying - "we have big needs for long-term answers at QB, LT and WR. We can trade down from #3 and then go into this year with #11, #23 and #34 and probably be able to find answers to at least two of those three spots with those picks depending on how the board falls. Then we can spend some of our still large cap space to shore up whatever hole is left after the draft for the time being and tackle that again the following year."
i am not trading 3 for anything less than:

11, 23, 2025 1st and Justin Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back