PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 5

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the whole trade back get more picks interest, but reality is they need that franchise player at 3. If it’s not a QB ok then MHJ. They won’t trade the pick.

Stay at 3, fill the biggest need which happens to be the most difficult position to fill. Don’t get cute

Then you drafted the wrong QB.

You don’t play the rookie if you think he is not ready not because of the supporting cast.
Marginal QB play last season and we are a play off team last season. Addition by subtraction at the QB position will make a difference this season. Not at all saying Brissett is the end all, Be all. But if he starts the season I'd have more faith he would play better than what Mac and Zapp did last season combined. However I want the draft pick to start!

Marginal QB play last season and we are a play off team last season. Addition by subtraction at the QB position will make a difference this season. Not at all saying Brissett is the end all, Be all. But if he starts the season I'd have more faith he would play better than what Mac and Zapp did last season combined. However I want the draft pick to start!
You’re forgetting (or ignoring) that we lost best coach in the league

I understand the whole trade back get more picks interest, but reality is they need that franchise player at 3. If it’s not a QB ok then MHJ. They won’t trade the pick.
MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze?

Alt or Fashanu?

If they're not sold on the QB left at #3 being much better, or better at all, than QBs 4, 5, and..or 6, then collect some capital, trade down but within reach of one of the five above (or one of the other QBs).

Chargers will possibly want to jump AZ. Vikings will want to come up. Giants might want to come up. Broncos?

The draft is going to be really interesting.

if, as expected, we draft a QB at #3, there better be a decent OL to protect him and at least one difference maker WR1 for him to throw to. Other than that, he may be running for his life.
There will be after next years Draft. Brissett better watch his backside this year though. Need him to stay healthy to allow our future franchise QB to learn. Surprised Wolf hasn’t signed Nijman from the Packers for LT.

All we've heard about this offseason from Wolf though is "The Packer Way" and "Build through the draft". Putting all their eggs in one basket at the top seems counter to that. Trading down to accumulate more high picks in a very strong draft year seems more aligned with "The Packer Way" and "Building through the draft". I can envision them thinking that a lesser QB taken a bit later but allowed to sit and develop will still be successful if the team around him is good, versus a more talented QB drafted high and thrown out there on a bad team.

I do wonder if the all the word out of the Patriots camp about how much they love the top 3 QBs, how much they're all worth a top 3 pick, how much they're definitely taking one of them at 3 - is just smoke. In reality they might only like 1 and know they probably won't get him so they want to trade down but don't want to seem desperate and instead want a robust trade offer. So they have to make the market look strong for the pick. If that's the case, probably wise to trade the pick earlier before anyone knows with too much certainty who will be available at 3.

If they grade Maye/Daniels similarly to Nix/McCarthy then this would be wise posturing. Or even if they don't really think any of them after Caleb or whomever are high 1st round candidates, then even still.
If there’s only one QB they like and don’t think they’d get him, I think they would have made a bigger play for someone like Tannehill or Jimmy G rather than just settling for Brissett, who just screams placeholder.

Penix in the first round is disgusting.
Patriots should not trade down.
We need a franchise QB,
What is Minnesota is going after the number 1 pick?
I hope #3 pick but they don't have a Second just they just Traded it. I would do this Trade with Minnesota #3 for 11 and 23 plus TE T.J. Hockenson and a future Second or Third Ronder. Then gamble on Bo Nix or Pennix Jr.

If Minnesota does want to trade up to 3 they better absolutely love both Maye and Daniels. Trading up to #2 makes more sense, then they’ll have their choice between the two.

If Minnesota offered both firsts and Justin Jefferson for 3 and Ju Ju I would do it.
11 and 23 with the beat WR in the league for the #3, sold

You have money, sign Jetta long term, draft a T and another WR, take a QB in the second round. Yes this all works, not going to happen but it works

If Minnesota does want to trade up to 3 they better absolutely love both Maye and Daniels. Trading up to #2 makes more sense, then they’ll have their choice between the two.
Commanders are taking Daniels @ 2.

Can’t agree with this. If he had a good OL around him and a decent receiving group there would be some temptation. But sending a rookie out there early could spell disaster for his development.

11 and 23 with the beat WR in the league for the #3, sold

You have money, sign Jetta long term, draft a T and another WR, take a QB in the second round. Yes this all works, not going to happen but it works
Maybe it will.
Or something close to it.
It’s impossible to believe we are going into 2024 with a weaker team while losing the best Game planner of all time.

On paper we are the worst team in the league.

You’re forgetting (or ignoring) that we lost best coach in the league
No. I didn't. The best coach In the league is a part of the reason Mac isn't here anymore, and why we are where we are. No disrespect at all to the GOAT HC but it's true.

Can’t agree with this. If he had a good OL around him and a decent receiving group there would be some temptation. But sending a rookie out there early could spell disaster for his development.
Ok. So your disagreement in that if the rookie shows through camp that he's ready you don't want him out there?

Maybe it will.
Or something close to it.
It’s impossible to believe we are going into 2024 with a weaker team while losing the best Game planner of all time.

On paper we are the worst team in the league.
I agree, and adding a playmaker gives you a base to work off of. Will can’t go into the year with Brissett as the clear #1 though

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST