PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 4

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyron Smith has to get signed eventually, curious what the story there is.

According to the Athletic, the Pats have checked in with Cincinnati and LAC on WR trades in recent weeks. For CIN, that's obviously Higgins, but for LAC that may have been either Allen or Williams before Williams was cut.

He plays an important position, is on the older side, has a long time injury history, and has only played for one team in his career. It wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't gotten an offer he likes, and this is important, from a team he wants to go to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is holding out for a chance to go to a contender.

I would say at this point, if we can't land Smith, the best option may be to hold our noses and sign an older vet like Donovan Smith/Leno, spend the 2nd/3rd WR's, and hope for the best. We can draft a tackle with next years first rounder either way.

I would say at this point, if we can't land Smith, the best option may be to hold our noses and sign an older vet like Donovan Smith/Leno, spend the 2nd/3rd WR's, and hope for the best. We can draft a tackle with next years first rounder either way.
Taking an older vet and then trying out Strange and Okorafor at LT as well and seeing what the best solution is might be fine. Not perfect but might get you by. And who knows, maybe Strange turns out to be solid, until he hurts himself.

It seems that the market has yet to be set. I do HOPE that we get one of the top 3 or 4. Yes, Brown is an enigma. He certainly has the talent and can produce when he has a coach that can handle him. And yes, he is indeed worth the effort.
If this WR group is

Bourne
late 1st (if we trade up) or early 2nd round WR
FA addition (Brown, Reynolds, Boyd, Samuel)
Douglas

I can live with that. I do think we forget that we don't exactly know what Douglas's ceiling is yet.

Taking an older vet and then trying out Strange and Okorafor at LT as well and seeing what the best solution is might be fine. Not perfect but might get you by. And who knows, maybe Strange turns out to be solid, until he hurts himself.
Like people have said: if we're not going to be contenders this year, why does the OL have to be absolutely perfect in year 1? People act like the line is 02 Texans bad.

Like people have said: if we're not going to be contenders this year, why does the OL have to be absolutely perfect in year 1? People act like the line is 02 Texans bad.

Especially if the rookie qb is sitting year one. No need to force anything at ol or wr. We do need to start drafting well on this side of the ball though

I know people are concerned about a bad OL destroying a rookie, but all indications point to them starting Brissett regardless of who they draft at QB or when they draft them this year, so it shouldn't really matter much. It'll matter once the rookie is the starter in year 2 as a sophomore, but it'll matter less, as presumably he'll be more prepared to handle things after a year sitting than as a fresh wide-eyed rookie.

Who says it needs to be perfect? Why can’t it be good, or even a strength. You think it’s a good idea to put in a rookie behind a subpar line with poor pass catchers?

Who says it needs to be perfect? Why can’t it be good, or even a strength. You think it’s a good idea to put in a rookie behind a subpar line with poor pass catchers?
No, but if we can give them one or the other, good pass catchers may be the way to go.

No, but if we can give them one or the other, good pass catchers may be the way to go.

In year 2 and beyond I might agree. But in year 1? Give me a great OL 100 times out of a 100 over great weapons but no time to throw. That's how you develop bad habits out of a young QB, IMO.

I can’t wait to see which Free agent chooses a southern team for the tax breaks over us.
I can’t wait for people to shut up about this insipid nonsense - and the political implications that necessarily follow.

So there’s that.

In year 2 and beyond I might agree. But in year 1? Give me a great OL 100 times out of a 100 over great weapons but no time to throw. That's how you develop bad habits out of a young QB, IMO.
But if they're having the rookie ride the bench this year, and next year is his "Year 1"?

If this was the worst line in the league, sure. But I'm not sure why this line needs to be terrible with what's on board:

You have two plus starters in Andrews/Onwenu, and Sow looks like he can also become a solid starter, Strange is average but passable. You've added Chuks (potential to be average) and have Conor McDermott, Calvin Anderson and Nick Levrett as depth options, not to mention we could still get development from Jake Andrews, Mafi. The depth is much improved over last year. Add a veteran LT, and spend a mid rounder on another tackle, and that's how you could manage this year.

Is it a great line? No. But I don't think it would be as bad as people make it out to be. Having Mac behind center definitely made the line look worse last year.

If this was the worst line in the league, sure. But I'm not sure why this line needs to be terrible with what's on board:

You have two plus starters in Andrews/Onwenu, and Sow looks like he can also become a solid starter, Strange is average but passable. You've added Chuks (potential to be average) and have Conor McDermott, Calvin Anderson and Nick Levrett as depth options, not to mention we could still get development from Jake Andrews, Mafi. The depth is much improved over last year. Add a veteran LT, and spend a mid rounder on another tackle, and that's how you could manage this year.

Is it a great line? No. But I don't think it would be as bad as people make it out to be. Having Mac behind center definitely made the line look worse last year.
I also think we need to keep in mind that their output in BOB's scheme with Mac under center being coached for half a year by Adrian Klemm and then half a year by whoever took charge after Klemm got a mystery illness, is probably not going to be the same as their output this year in AVP's scheme with Brissett under center being coached by Scott Peters.

But if they're having the rookie ride the bench this year, and next year is his "Year 1"?

See, I'm not convinced that a rookie picked at #3 overall is sitting all season. If I had to bet, I wouldn't even say he's going to sit for HALF the season. If they decide they don't like who's there and end up taking a QB at 34 instead, then sure. But at 3? That guy is starting over Brissett by Halloween at the absolute latest.

Generally, I agree, We did well to re-sign Onwenu and to add Chubacca.

We still BADLY need a starting LT.

I also think we need to keep in mind that their output in BOB's scheme with Mac under center being coached for half a year by Adrian Klemm and then half a year by whoever took charge after Klemm got a mystery illness, is probably not going to be the same as their output this year in AVP's scheme with Brissett under center being coached by Scott Peters.

These are fair arguments, and I'm optimistic that we're going to get more out of the line than we did last year (as a result of player development and coaching), but it's by no means a given. The line wasn't good last year, and you've got Strange coming off an injury. Maybe that washes with Sow making a year 2 leap, but that means the only thing you've added is Chuks (I can't spell his name yet, I'm the worst). There's a lot of "This could happen", but I'd rather add a piece that's a bit more of a sure upgrade before I leave it all to that.

Generally, I agree, We did well to re-sign Onwenu and to add Chubacca.

We still BADLY need a starting LT.
Don't disagree. I think you band aid it with a veteran this year. I think we have to take advantage of this WR class in the draft. And we can't punt on QB considering the weakness of next years class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference