PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 2

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with this, but I suspect that we won't convince both to come. Besides, I think that Chubacca is our starting RT. I suspect that Sow will compete at LG.
After looking into Jonah
He was not happy after they gave Orlando Brown the left side and bumped Jonah to right tackle
Wants to play for a team at left tackle
If he lost his left tackle spot then I’d rather go Smith even though he will be 34 this year, compared to Williams 26
Then you know you have a left tackle for a few bridge years
Draft his replacement this year in 3rd round or so.

By boy @One-If-By-Sea is gonna see Robyn Glaser's fingerprints all over these contracts now. Lol

We get Gonzalez back, Judon back, and the OL has stability from lack of injuries. That's instant improvement from the entire team.

And don't underestimate the importance of getting Marcus Jones back. He was a 1st team All-Pro as a rookie.

Then we have Barmore and Judon in contract years, Keion White with a pro offseason under his belt, Wise and Jennings fighting for playoff time, McMillan, Mapu and Takitaki providing relief to Tavai and Bentley.

Most of all a QB. I expect at least 8 wins.
He's one of my favorite Patriots. When the ball was in his hands his rookie year it was exciting. I think he was making a push for CB3 before he got hurt too. Will be very excited to see what he can do this year.

Does anyone really believe he left 8 million dollars on the table for the chance to MAYBE earn 8 mil total this year?
Considering he's likely been promised a bigger role in the defense this year, and he's not even 26 yet, yes, I believe it. If he puts up 15 sacks this year, some team will pay him a hell of a lot more than 8 million.

I don't expect that to happen, but I see Uche treating it as a 'bet on myself' moment.

Does anyone really believe he left 8 million dollars on the table for the chance to MAYBE earn 8 mil total this year?
He may not have liked the situation the other teams were offering. He could’ve been offered to be a back up and locked in for 2 years.

He’s one year removed from having an 11 sack season. Maybe Mayo thinks he could duplicate it if he’s let loose. Pats might go with Uche and White over Jennings.

I feel like I'm stuck perpetually in a fun house of mirrors
DAY 1 4/10
Day 2 2/10
Overall 3/10

It's what's expected though as the NFL shafted the weaker teams with decent cap space

I feel like I'm stuck perpetually in a fun house of mirrors
DAY 1 4/10
Day 2 2/10
Overall 3/10

It's what's expected though as the NFL shafted the weaker teams with decent cap space
That extra cap really screwed the teams that were being responsible with the cap.

I moreso hope we have another significant plan in place to bring in a WR if we can't land him. Don't go spend it on Hollywood Brown or some mid level FA.
Draft MHJ

Given the lack of WR options, but remaining OT options, a better path now would be to pay for a starting LT and shoot for the WR at #34-ish.
No. MHJ @ 3

We still have a ton of money to spend. If we miss out on Ridley, who are we spending it on?

Agreed. All that cap space is useless if you aren’t going to utilize it beyond resigning some of your own guys. The fact that a 4-13 is still 1st or 2nd in cap space two days into FA is a bad thing.
It's not 1-2days into Free Agency. It's the "legal tampering period". Players who aren't SFA can change their minds up until 4PM on Wednesday as to who they are signing with.

There are also plenty of players still out there AND there are still players who are likely to be released since teams like the Saints, Chargers, Bills and Chiefs need to get under the Cap by 4PM.

Over-reacting to the "Tampering period" is a fruitless endeavor.

I'd prefer Jonah Williams, but, he'd be a good 1 year rental until whoever we draft is ready. Although with Williams (who can play both LT & RT) being only 26, we could lock down one side of the line already for more than a year.
Jonah williams? The guy who was the worst OT in the league 2 years ago and was nearly as bad last year?? No thanks. I'd rather have Tyron Smith for only half a season than let the QB get pressured 41 times with 18-19 of those a combination of hits/sacks.

How about both
Smith,Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Williams
Okorafor is better than Jonah Williams. Okorafor has never given up more than 3 sacks or 7 hits in a season where he was the RT.

We get Gonzalez back, Judon back, and the OL has stability from lack of injuries. That's instant improvement from the entire team.

And don't underestimate the importance of getting Marcus Jones back. He was a 1st team All-Pro as a rookie.

Then we have Barmore and Judon in contract years, Keion White with a pro offseason under his belt, Wise and Jennings fighting for playoff time, McMillan, Mapu and Takitaki providing relief to Tavai and Bentley.

Most of all a QB. I expect at least 8 wins.

Marcus Jones was 1st Team All-Pro for Special Teams. Not for his play at CB. Though I think having him back will take pressure off Jonathan Jones. I really liked what I saw in the admittedly limited time that Alex Austin played. It's going to be interesting to see if Wilson makes the team or if the Pats bring in someone like Kendall Fuller or bring back Gilmore. Both would make good #2s opposite Gonzalez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3