PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 2

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good signing, value is bargain basement level. Hooper is a solid player for a reserve TE. $4.25M surely includes incentives, base is probably around $2.5M.

Giseicki has better numbers last year, and this is Hooper's 4th team in 4 years. That seems a lot closer to 'let's see if he makes it through camp' than 'solid player' to me, but I understand the positive spin.

Signed players (connection to Pats):

Jacoby Brissett (AvP)
Sione TakiTaki (Wolf)
Austin Hooper (AvP)

All of these guys fill a need and are known commodities by AvP/Wolf. I know it doesn't look like great signings but they get the job done at reasonable costs, freeing up cap money for elite weapons. Come on Wolf hit a triple.

Giseicki has better numbers last year, and this is Hooper's 4th team in 4 years. That seems a lot closer to 'let's see if he makes it through camp' than 'solid player' to me, but I understand the positive spin.

Hooper can block. Giseicki can't

Jacoby Brissett (AvP)
Sione TakiTaki (Wolf)
Austin Hooper (AvP)

All of these guys fill a need and are known commodities by AvP/Wolf. I know it doesn't look like great signings but they get the job done at reasonable costs, freeing up cap money for elite weapons. Come on Wolf hit a triple.

Elite weapons? That’ll be the day.

Jacoby Brissett (AvP)
Sione TakiTaki (Wolf)
Austin Hooper (AvP)

This isn't a good FA class. The chances of that happening are slim.

How about both
Smith,Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Williams
I'm fine with this, but I suspect that we won't convince both to come. Besides, I think that Chubacca is our starting RT. I suspect that Sow will compete at LG.

Hooper can block. Giseicki can't
Pharaoh Brown can block and make some catches when necessary. Hooper is a borderline useless addition much like Gesicki was.

I don’t know what this plan is that they have to improve the offensive talent but it’s not a reassuring one so far.

Pharaoh Brown can block and make some catches when necessary. Hooper is a borderline useless addition much like Gesicki was.

I don’t know what this plan is that they have to improve the offensive talent but it’s not a reassuring one so far.
Brown to Seahawks.

I'd rather they use the picks on foundational pieces for the future rather than mortgaging that for players that aren't going to help you win now.
May not have a choice if FAcy doesn't yield the weapons. I'm sure they're running the numbers to see what's feasible.

How would you know how AvP plans to use him in his scheme?

Next year looks a lot better for free agent WRs. Not that it is a great snapshot when there are always extensions, franchise tags, etc that could change that. But let’s hope?
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Hooper for Pharaoh Brown ... good swap.

True and not true. In Cleveland, he had his hand in the dirt 66% of the time blocking for Chubb and relatively the same at Tennessee for Henry, while in Atlanta he was primarily used as a pass catcher and had some success. Raiders just suck.

He may or may not make it out of camp as you mentioned. Interesting that he reunites with his old oc though.

I like the signing personally.

Last edited:
How would you know how AvP plans to use him in his scheme?
You’re right. I can’t wait to see how AVP uses such a weapon like Austin Hooper. Will be really exciting to see.

We get Gonzalez back, Judon back, and the OL has stability from lack of injuries. That's instant improvement from the entire team.

And don't underestimate the importance of getting Marcus Jones back. He was a 1st team All-Pro as a rookie.

Then we have Barmore and Judon in contract years, Keion White with a pro offseason under his belt, Wise and Jennings fighting for playoff time, McMillan, Mapu and Takitaki providing relief to Tavai and Bentley.

Most of all a QB. I expect at least 8 wins.

True and not true. In Cleveland, he had his hand in the dirt 66% of the time blocking for Chubb and relatively the same at Tennessee for Henry, while in Atlanta he was primarily used a pass catcher and had some success. Raiders just suck.

He may or may not make it out of camp as you mentioned. Interesting that he reunites with his old oc though.

I like the signing personally.
And in ATL made the PB two years in a row.

After day two:

Re-signed
TE Hunter Henry
CB Alex Austin (ERFA)
OT Tyrone Wheatley (ERFA)
WR Kendrick Bourne
QB Nathan Rourke
OL Mike Onwenu
WR Jalen Reagor
LB Josh Uche

Adds
OT Chuks Okorafor