PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL 2023 Post Game Thread: Week 16 - NE @ DEN

Immediate Postgame Reactions
There's not a whole lot to say other than if you pick Bill instead of Brady for those 20 years than you really didn't pay attention.

One of these guys proved they didn't need the other and it wasn't Bill.

You cant contribute any of those 20 years to Bill and just write off Tom.
Eh… the GOAT himself called BB the best in the history of the game. If the GOAT said it then it’s good enough for me. The perfect partnership.

One thing to keep in mind for next year: if the decision is made to go with Zappe it changes the whole draft. If you don't need a QB its much easier to draft the pieces that we need:

tackle, WR, TE, 3rd down RB.

You could trade down in the 1st round and probably increase your margin for error, too.

2008 to 2013 they were pretty horrendous.

Letting branch and givens go cost them the 2006 Superbowl.

As for the Brady thing. I'm not going to continue to discuss it ad nauseam. But the numbers without Brady, which is a huge sample size (8 seasons) are not even middle of the pack.

You can't give Bill best ever status without acknowledging the fact that he had the best player of all time at the most important position doing all the work.

You can repeat to your blue in the face that Bill is best ever but my statement rings true. Every time.
Remind me…how did the Patriots acquire Brady again? Were they just gifted him? Hmm, I wonder if there was a guy in our organization who saw his talent and drafted him. Hmmmmm

Remind me…how did the Patriots acquire Brady again? Were they just gifted him? Hmm, I wonder if there was a guy in our organization who saw his talent and drafted him. Hmmmmm
Not only that, the Pats kept four QBs on the active roster in Brady’s rookie year.

They knew what they had with Brady and didn’t want to risk losing him.

How many other teams would not have wanted to waste that roster spot on a 6th round pick and lost him to another team?

Remember the Pats got Danny Woodhead because the Rats cut the better player, who was a UDFA, in favor of a lesser player who they drafted in the 3rd round.

BB has always ignored drafted status vs production, and that may be why the Pats are so successful with UDFAs.

They know they will get a fair shot.

Christian Barmore is now 3rd in sacks among DT's.

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

Yes. QB coach **** Rehbein, Too bad he died before he got to see Brady play.

To Belichick’s credit he listened to his QB coach and drafted Brady even though 31 other teams passed over him for 198 picks.

Zappe > Mac. You were all wrong.
Please don’t lump me in with the Robs on the board. I’m one of the original Zappeites.

That win sucked. Team needs a QB and this does not help that at all. Olu or Alt is cool and all but not really worth having a bottom out season for those guys.

Even Harrison Jr or the WR from LSU would be better than a lineman. The offense needs talent.

remember this is the defense that Miami put 70 points on! Horrible win, going to screw them in draft position. Plus no way they don't beat the Jets, so instead of a top three pick, they will be lucky to get a top ten pickc, which BB will trade away so he can draft more Thortons. Harry, Strange, et al.

The Pats were laterally gifted a TD!

Zappe IS NOT the future!

There's not a whole lot to say other than if you pick Bill instead of Brady for those 20 years than you really didn't pay attention.

One of these guys proved they didn't need the other and it wasn't Bill.

You cant contribute any of those 20 years to Bill and just write off Tom.
Didn't try to but responded with what I did when you gave it all to TB. BTW, I love TB but I played the sport and even the assistant coaches get a piece of the credit. TB does nothing at all without the rest of the team.....even in Tampa.

To Belichick’s credit he listened to his QB coach and drafted Brady even though 31 other teams passed over him for 198 picks.
So credit for Brady go es to the position coach and belichick was an ignorant bystander but every pick you don’t like is all BB?

A popular refrain I see from the Belichick haters on here, that I actually agree with, is that Belichick is the one ultimately solely responsible for every player acquisition. I see this mostly brought up with Mac Jones and the possibility that BB was lukewarm on drafting Jones.

Well, you can’t have it both ways: you can’t knock Belichick for the bad roster moves and not give credit to him for the brilliant roster moves. As the haters have pointed out, ultimately roster management falls on him.

(And I’m sure there’s not a single roster move ever where Belichick hasn’t used information gleaned from scouts or other personnel; surrounding yourself with great advisors and being able to synthesize the information they give is the mark of a good leader.)

2008 to 2013 they were pretty horrendous.
Agree. Those were some bad years.
Letting branch and givens go cost them the 2006 Superbowl.
I didn't like these moves either. Also, letting McGinest walk and not addressing the LB situation caught up to them in the 2006 AFCCG. They ended up not being able to defend a TE all year long and the lightbulb went off with Manning who got every TE involved on the roster that game.

That’s funny….because it seems like we rarely made good halftime adjustments all season…and were up 16 points and managed to piss it away….but glad that they pulled it out at the end . Pros and a lot of cons….but the team needed this for some pride ….have to be tired of losing and being embarrassed
I agree. Thats why it surprised me to hear the classic Patriots image being repeated even now. The overall perception sounded like the dynasty years. It made me realize that we have a very harsh view of the team, because we became accustomed to success and have never had to accept parity with the rest of the league. Truth is, the league is designed to enforce reversion to the mean.

I forget which thread but today I read a post on here talking about “prolonged mediocrity” as what the Patriots are delivering. Thinking about it, in a 32 team league the average should be two Super Bowl appearances and one win every 32 years. If the average team were superior half the time and mediocre half the time they‘d be mediocre 16 years out of 32, yet we have posters whining about our first four year stretch of mediocrity in twenty-four years. We need a broader perspective. That broadcast helped provide it for me.

A bigger question is why did the Patriots cut zappe multiple times, try and find a replacement for him.

I'll give them sticking with Mac Jones when you have a 1st round QB you want to give them every opportunity. Although in hindsight if we move on earlier we probably have a few more wins by now.

But it's clear zappe at least belongs in the league as a backup. And patriots did everything they could to get rid of him.
Zappe was awful preseason. Had his head up his butt. Look I know Zappe is 4-1 or 4-2 as a starter but this is the NFl and you get scouted. So many people that have success over 5 games get neutralized. What’s your Act 2?

He's wasn't a well liked player in Seattle either. He did some weird **** not allowing his teammates to call him - he'd call them from an unlisted number. There's video's on YouTube of Sherman, Cliff Avril and now Marshawn Lynch explaining what went on with him there.

Regarding Denver, he's got a $35M cap hit and $85 dead cap. They are stuck with him for two more years.

Zappe was awful preseason. Had his head up his butt. Look I know Zappe is 4-1 or 4-2 as a starter but this is the NFl and you get scouted. So many people that have success over 5 games get neutralized. What’s your Act 2?
Let’s wait and see if he gets neutralized before assuming it will happen and panicking about it.

TB was the GOAT because he had that fire in his gut to prove wrong all the naysayers who said he was too small, too slow, not athletic enough, etc. I don't think Mac ever had that fire and he always had an all-star supporting cast in college. Zap may have that fire (don't know for sure yet). With their defense, even a moderately decent offense would, IMHO, make this current team at least a wild card possibility. We need a solid 2024 draft and some good FA signings to be a relevant team again. Potential SB appearances are still several seasons down the road.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back