PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

The bills signed a mediocre guard & restructured Allen & Von Miller yesterday. They are stuck with a 34 year old pass rusher off a torn acl for awhile. They are weak in the trenches & have holes to fill with Edmunds & Poyer leaving.

I hope the pats can show more urgency with a QB in the third year of his rookie deal.

I know it’s day one but damn, team has holes to fill and plenty of cap space this and next year. Thought they’d make some kind of
Move today.
They did. They signed one of the best corners in FA to a really good deal for them.

Yes, it counts.

The bills signed a mediocre guard & restructured Allen & Von Miller yesterday. They are stuck with a 34 year old pass rusher off a torn acl for awhile. They are weak in the trenches & have holes to fill with Edmunds & Poyer leaving.

I hope the pats can show more urgency with a QB in the third year of his rookie deal.
They should show no urgency to sign bad deals. I know everyone like flashy names but every dollar you overspend is a dollar you are short follongbother needs. The key is balancing patience with what’s available, not urgency to just do something even if it’s wrong.

I’m pretty sure everyone on the board wants them to sign top flight players. Is anyone arguing that this team doesn’t need an upgrade in talent?

I wish they signed Bates and Edmunds but it didn’t happen. I hope they sign Brown Jr., but that is probably unlikely. There is a big difference in expecting Bill to continue as he always has with mid tier free agents and what everyone wants.
This FA class is kind of crappy, which it seems made the two you mentioned skyrocket in value. That's a big risk on Edmunds, particularly since Buffalo's D around him was so good - makes his job easier.

Don't get me wrong, would have loved him here, but I'll just be happy that he's out of the AFCEast and the Bills are showing cracks.

Bates would have been a nice get. Mills can play FS, though, as can Jon Jones. I hope they resign Peppers today.
Hoping for a vet tackle - obviously Brown at the top of the list, but there are others, like McGary. Lot of guys on this list who would be upgrades.

I'd love a vet long Corner to round out the DBs, an OT, a WR.

You want the archetype Patriots 3rd down back......AND there he is/
He wants to get paid, something that's not going to happen here... Pierre strong Jr. Is my choice...

Yeah I agree would have been nice but not at that price. He’s making as much as Roquan who the Bears just traded, who was also better.
Roquan is the trade/extension I WISH the Pats had been able to pull off. He's worth every penny in the right D. This might sound counterintuitive, but when a guy performs on an otherwise mediocre defense, I see that as special (Smith in Chicago). When a guy performs well on a well-oiled defense (Edmunds in Buffalo), I discount it just a bit.

Again, just a bit - I wish the Pats had landed Edmunds, but at a lower price than he got.

That's why I would have been a bit queasy about the Georgia defenders in the draft last year. Still thought there were a few blue chippers there, but also that there might have been a couple of hangers-on whose numbers looked great because of the overwhelming talent of the true grade A players.

They should show no urgency to sign bad deals. I know everyone like flashy names but every dollar you overspend is a dollar you are short follongbother needs. The key is balancing patience with what’s available, not urgency to just do something even if it’s wrong.
The organization needs to do something to get us relevant and back in contention again. Something is brewing... I feel like some sort of trade is going to happen.. BB is making these moves for a reason.. as you said patience is the virtue..

It's incredible how every big money deal is somehow bad. Was Gilmore a bad deal? A lot of people at the time thought it was too much money. Was Judon a bad deal?

That seems relevant.

It's incredible how every big money deal is somehow bad. Was Gilmore a bad deal? A lot of people at the time thought it was too much money. Was Judon a bad deal?
Judon's deal wasn't bad at all. 4/54? (EDIT: When the Pats signed him, I was ecstatic and said I thought he was the best defender in the FA class, and I stand by that.) The guy was great in Baltimore. Every game I watched, he was in the backfield making havoc.
I don't believe Tremaine Edmunds is at that level, but I could be wrong. The Bears had the cash and a big hole with Smith gone, so maybe he'll fill the bill. He's a good player and they had the need. The Pats don't have that glaring hole, despite what some here believe.

When the Pats signed Gilmore, their team was fairly complete. Finishing touches, so to speak. Not the case now.

Who said every big money deal is bad?

Judon's deal wasn't bad at all. 4/54? The guy was great in Baltimore. Every game I watched, he was in the backfield making havoc.
I don't believe Tremaine Edmunds is at that level, but I could be wrong. The Bears had the cash and a big hole with Smith gone, so maybe he'll fill the bill. He's a good player and they had the need. The Pats don't have that glaring hole, despite what some here believe.

When the Pats signed Gilmore, their team was fairly complete. Finishing touches, so to speak. Not the case now.
Judon was a two time Pro Bowler in Baltimore who had never reached 10 sacks in a season. He was a good player, but he became a better player with the Patriots and now his contract seems like a bargain, even if it wasn't one at the time (mostly fair value). It's fine to spend, it won't kill you. Maybe they didn't have a glaring need for Edmunds, but what about Bates? They have no free safety on the roster. Again, it's fine if you don't value Bates at that money, I just really dislike this mindset that every time a team gives big money to a free agent they're being dumb and overpaying or compromising their roster building. A lot of times it works out. Are people making fun of Christian Kirk and Zay Jones' contracts right now?

Lazard went off on us in the game in Lambeau last year...

Also one of Rodgers binkies.

The Holy Cap derangement syndrom combined with denial is running deeper than i thought on this board.
Usually combined with bashing the players and the team half y later bc (supposed) talent simply cant match their expectations.

I wonder if there are any fans left on this board . or only accountants : )

Lazard went off on us in the game in Lambeau last year...

Yup, this also might be the Jets trying to pair him and AR together again.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes