PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Vet min, training camp fodder?!

Why though?

What’s next Will Fuller?
Well, if you lose Agholor and Myers, you’re gonna need some guys competing in camp. Odds are Dorsett would beat most of the UDFA’s. If he doesn’t, so what? Cut him and move on. It’s not an exciting move. I mean hell, I’d just give a shoulder shrug. Dude is 30 and definitely a bottom of the depth chart guy. Nothing to be excited about at all, but probably a lot better of an option than some street scrub. They lost Wilkerson as well, and who knows what Nixon is going to provide. Our WR group is hot garbage at the moment. I’m sure if they signed Dorsett, it means they just might be signing/drafting a whole gang of guys.

Both stations are killing the Pats for not trading for Ramsey except reports were that the Rams traded him to Miami because that is where he wanted to go not necessarily because the Dolphins offered the best trade.

Patriots are in a tough spot OT-wise. Would really have liked them to solidify the position prior to the draft. Similar to last year where we had a gaping hole at OG thanks to the Mason trade and reached in the first round. I don't think any of the Tackles that will be on the board are pure blue chippers worthy of pick 14 but their draft value is overinflated due to lack of true depth at the position. All of the decent prospects will likely be off the board by the very early 2nd round well ahead of pick 46 and then there is a huge cliff.

Would have been nice to go after JSN or Flowers in the 1st round. Now the choice is to reach at 14 for an OT or trade back into the low 20s. It would be a big gamble to try to get an OT at the top of the 2nd round via trade up.

Patriots are in a tough spot OT-wise. Would really have liked them to solidify the position prior to the draft. Similar to last year where we had a gaping hole at OG thanks to the Mason trade and reached in the first round. I don't think any of the Tackles that will be on the board are pure blue chippers worthy of pick 14 but their draft value is overinflated due to lack of true depth at the position. All of the decent prospects will likely be off the board by the very early 2nd round well ahead of pick 46 and then there is a huge cliff.

Would have been nice to go after JSN or Flowers in the 1st round. Now the choice is to reach at 14 for an OT or trade back into the low 20s. It would be a big gamble to try to get an OT at the top of the 2nd round via trade up.
Why are they in a tough spot?

They have 11 draft picks and there are still good free agent OT's out there.

I don't want to trade for either frankly, use Thornton, Marcus Jones, Bourne, Parker, bring Tre Nixon up and draft another guy.

WR gets so overrated every offseason it's not funny.
If this is the route they go, Thornton better make a leap and the guy they draft has to be awesome.

Personally, I think the Pats need to give Mac every chance to succeed and the current group would be a lower tier receiving room that would make me wonder if the problem was him or the receivers if he doesn't perform.

I'm entirely the opposite from you on this. There are tackles who are studs and grade out really well at the top of the draft. JSN and Flowers would be the huge reaches at #14.

If this is the route they go, Thornton better make a leap and the guy they draft has to be awesome.

Personally, I think the Pats need to give Mac every chance to succeed and the current group would be a lower tier receiving room that would make me wonder if the problem was him or the receivers if he doesn't perform.
They already have a couple of guys who have a baseline of success in the NFL in Bourne and Parker. Mac failed last season because the scheme and play calling was horrible. Expecting Thornton or Marcus Jones to shine under those terrible conditions wasn't likely. There are value vet fee agents all over free agency who also have a baseline of success at the NFL level. The best way to find a super weapon is to draft one, paying or trading for one is stupid expensive and they're not readily available.

Obligatory Aaron Rodgers praise. What a trade by the Jets

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back