PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion Thread

Almost seems too obvious: Cards drafted Rondale Moore. Isabella's been kind of a bust there, like Harry here, and both could use a change of scenery.

Having said that, the Patriots are a running team, and for all his other problems, Harry is a strong blocker.

Not worth playing Harry ever over Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Smith, or Henry. He has no role here anymore. I don't see how this bust gets any snaps unless multiple people ahead of him are injured. Better to recoup some of the bust loss by trading the kid for a low pick. I like the Isabella swap idea too. But the slot option routes thing was more for Brady, with Brady gone I think we have less need for the midget option routes slot WR.

We are at the end of the 5th? Comp pick I think. Maybe 30 min or 1 hour away?
I guess I miss understood you, I thought you were asking if the 5th round had started, and it has. I think they are on the 4th pick in the 5th round (pick number 148 overall).

We have pick 177

Unless you think we're going to make another big acquisition (or extension that involves a 2021 pay raise) before the regular season, I don't really see how the 51 rule makes a big enough difference to the bottom line. We're talking about deliberately handing a roster spot to a guy who has sucked after 2 years just to save a couple million on the cap at most.

I really don't see how the downsides of bringing competition in for Harry's roster spot outweigh the upside of having a WR in that roster spot who can actually contribute. Maybe Harry is himself that WR, but that's what camp is for.
I don't either - and wouldn't be against Shi Smith or someone like that to come in. I just don't see the Pats ready to worry about their likely WR#4 right now, is all.

They've picked 4 guys. All of them are value to the team.

Watch Jameson Crowder get cut soon and grabbed by the Pats.

I guess I miss understood you, I thought you were asking if the 5th round had started, and it has. I think they are on the 4th pick in the 5th round (pick number 148 overall).
148 was traded. 177 is our next pick

I’m wondering if they want to use him as a fb and expand the fb position. We’ve started to use 2 rbs together at times. I assume Stevenson would be a huge upgrade to Johnson while expanding what we can do.
I’m thinking Dalton Keene will end up in that role. It’s similar to how he was used at V. Tech.

Not worth playing Harry ever over Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Smith, or Henry. He has no role here anymore. I don't see how this bust gets any snaps unless multiple people ahead of him are injured. Better to recoup some of the bust loss by trading the kid for a low pick. I like the Isabella swap idea too. But the slot option routes thing was more for Brady, with Brady gone I think we have less need for the midget option routes slot WR.

And who do you see on the board who would play over those five guys?

On 3rd and 5, give me Hunter or Smith on the field over White all day long
Interesting thought though so here are some stats to add to the discussion.
Using career because it’s easier but I can break down further if necessary.

These are targets catches and first downs on 3rd and 4+ then just 3rd and 7+ (That’s how pfr splits them) for each.

HENRY (55 games)
4+ 62/35/28
7+. 32/16/11

SMITH (60 GAMES)
4+ 24/14/7
7+14/9/4

WHITE. (92 Games)
4+ 147/95/52
7+. 79/54/19

Thats Caden Sterns gone to Denver , I believe he was a possible pick for us at safety on some mocks

I’m thinking Dalton Keene will end up in that role. It’s similar to how he was used at V. Tech.
That’s not revolutionary. Stevenson would be.
Im just spit balling but there was a time when the norm was to have a FB who ran the ball almost as often as the HB.
It certainly changes how you defend a team.
The fb position evolved from that to a glorified OL who could catch a few passes to most teams not having one.
It would be very belichick like to revert to that role when defenses have been built to not defend it.

I feel like it'll be a redshirt year anyway. Especially if they want him to ultimately pass-protect. Takes time to learn that role in the offense. As others said, he could kind of fulfill the James White role even though he's obviously built very differently. Let him study for a year before White leaves next year.

Wonder if it's possible Sony misses the cut and Bolden takes his snaps. Bolden is at least OK, and they have Taylor. Have a hard time imagining them carrying 6+ backs (Harris/Michel/White/Taylor/Bolden/Stevenson)
There will probably be 1 man out. Bolden could be in danger, or Vitale, both of whom took the year off due to Covid. Sony may be in jeopardy but I think he'll make the team. Rex is now a FA and won't be back.

Stevenson looks like a well rounded back with unusual size around 235. He could see significant action this year.

Interesting thought though so here are some stats to add to the discussion.
Using career because it’s easier but I can break down further if necessary.

These are targets catches and first downs on 3rd and 4+ then just 3rd and 7+ (That’s how pfr splits them) for each.

HENRY (55 games)
4+ 62/35/28
7+. 32/16/11

SMITH (60 GAMES)
4+ 24/14/7
7+14/9/4

WHITE. (92 Games)
4+ 147/95/52
7+. 79/54/19
Yeah, good conversation.....wouldn't mind having all of them on the field, I love White, but think he may have seen his better days, just doesn't make people miss like he used to...a great Patriot though...will never forget the All Superbowl.

Im just spit balling but there was a time when the norm was to have a FB who ran the ball almost as often as the HB.
The fb position evolved from that to a glorified OL who could catch a few passes to most teams not having one.
It would be very belichick like to revert to that role when defenses have been built to not defend it.
Harris-Blier
Csonka-Morris
Cunningham-Johnson

You go back to the old rosters and they almost always had two starting backs. Is this a wrinkle to wear out smaller edge rushers and LBs?

That would be hilarious.

Harris-Blier
Csonka-Morris
Cunningham-Johnson

You go back to the old rosters and they almost always had two starting backs. Is this a wrinkle to wear out smaller edge rushers and LBs?

That would be hilarious.
We used 2 of Harris, burkhead, Michel together at times last year.
White too, but I think that’s a little different

I had to have missed something. How did Nixon last to the middle of the 5th?

Keene carried the ball some in college and was pretty good at it. I’m with you. I’d like to see some early 70s Dolphins as well when the D didn’t know whether it was going to be Csonka up the middle or Mercury Morris on a sweep.

We have not taken any cornerbacks today.

what is bb’s plan for extending the existing guys?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back