PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ODB potentially on trade block - Giants want TWO first round picks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point? Both require re-signing. I'll take the guy who has already been in our system and seems more mentally sound.

Well I guess if OBJ is easier to sign than Cooks but it's probably the opposite.

OBJ is better so I guess there's a point but by how much?
I don't think Cooks gets re-signed. Simply too much money.

Only way the Pats would trade for a guy like Beckham is if he agreed to play out the final year on his contract and viewed 1 season with Beckham being superior to 1 season with Cooks.

It
I don't think Cooks gets re-signed. Simply too much money.

Only way the Pats would trade for a guy like Beckham is if he agreed to play out the final year on his contract and viewed 1 season with Beckham being superior to 1 season with Cooks.
It's tough but it be awesome to see them share the field for one season but I still say Rams.

I wouldn't trade a 7th for him. He won't play without being the highest aid WR in the NFL.

Exactly.

If the Pats aren't going to extend a quiet, dedicated worker like Cooks at $14M APY, they're sure AF not going to extend a diva like OBJ at $20M APY.

There isn't enough booze on the entire planet to get BB an Caserio drunk enough.

The Cat like quickness is impressive. However we cannot afford him.

If you could do a swap of 1 season of Cooks for 1 season of Beckham, you do it. Cooks is great but Beckham's a special player. But I don't see that happening.

That said, I think it's more likely than not that Cooks is re-signed, despite everyone balking at the average salary for a top wide receiver. They didn't drop a 1st round pick on him to let him walk after two seasons, and he's still just 24. They'll give him a nice long contract and structure it in such a way that it can be comfortably fit under the cap. If you get a WR1, you keep him.

No one is going to take this guy for $20 million. If he comes down in his asking price then maybe.

Hope some of the radio cap geniuses can figure out a way to make this work.

If you could do a swap of 1 season of Cooks for 1 season of Beckham, you do it. Cooks is great but Beckham's a special player. But I don't see that happening.

That said, I think it's more likely than not that Cooks is re-signed, despite everyone balking at the average salary for a top wide receiver. They didn't drop a 1st round pick on him to let him walk after two seasons, and he's still just 24. They'll give him a nice long contract and structure it in such a way that it can be comfortably fit under the cap. If you get a WR1, you keep him.

I don't really view him as a true WR1, though I'm sure that opinion isn't shared by everyone

Btw, when did Old Dirty Bastard get drafted into the NFL?

I don't really view him as a true WR1, though I'm sure that opinion isn't shared by everyone

Cooks? That's fair. Obviously the Saints did not either once they obtained a true WR1. But you have to weigh whether you can find someone better. It's probably not going to happen in free agency, and the Patriots have never shown much of an ability to draft receivers. (And this year is fairly crappy for wideouts).

Problem is once he became a Patriot, the league would all of sudden pay much more attention to the amount of stick'em he uses on his gloves.... so not only do you have to consider the cost to trade for him, you also have to consider the loss of a 1st rounder that would come down the line....

So here’s the deal. If you write “I wouldn’t trade him for a 7th” you’ll probably receive 7 winner votes but the truth is it’s an idiotic biased comment. Odell for a 7th is a steal of the century even on his contract

There are special talents and then there are really special talents and Odell is one of those really special talents who don’t come around very often. If there is ever a chance you can obtain him at even a slightly reasonable cost, you do it. For those of you who you think odell doesn’t “fit our system”...my response is then change the system! The guy is so gifted he can produce with any QB, and you better believe the GOAT would find ways to get him the ball.

“But he’s a diva with the worst attitude ever!”

Such a classic Boston fans response!!! Always thinking about the team image. Well let me ask you this, is Odell’s history of malcontent any worse than Kenny Britts or Michael Floyd’s? Both WRs we signed with horrendous attitudes and criminal history. Not to mention resigning stallworth In 2012 after he spent time in prison for manslaughter. Or trading for Corey Dillon after he punched his wife and left her a bloody mess on the front lawn when Police arrived. Or trading for Talib and his horrid track record. I won’t even get into “quitter” randy moss. BB isn’t afraid too add a guy to the team if he thinks he will help the team, even if that player has a history of trouble

I think too the amount of money odell will command its unrealistic we will trade for him in our cap situation...but it has nothing to do with his attitude or selfishness. If he was on our team he would boost our offense to unstoppable levels

It is only a steal if he would play at the contracted amount. There would zero problem at this point if that were so. He'd simply play for the giants and get paid after the season.

Also, we would need to free up the cap space. This would be wasted if he refused to play. We have better things to do with cap money.

So here’s the deal. If you write “I wouldn’t trade him for a 7th” you’ll probably receive 7 winner votes but the truth is it’s an idiotic biased comment. Odell for a 7th is a steal of the century even on his contract

I know the this organization has had reclamation projects before, but I just don’t think this guy has the DNA makeup built to last in New England.

Great player for sure, but I just cannot see Belichick putting up with his antics, especially for the money he is going to command.

Cooks is the type of “stay under the radar” talent Belichick wants to coach at this point in time in his career.

One of Jeff Howe's Twitter followers already suggested Cooks for OBJ, straight up.
It was Howe himself who first suggested this, according to Rich on 98.5 this morning.

Too much drama and too many injuries. Hope he stays out of the division though.

You don't trade Cooks or anyone else for OBJ, one spent the off season building poor people houses for Jesus, the other snorts coke and thinks he is Jesus's dad.

Pay Cooks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference