PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ to Pats—what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negotiation 101 ask high. If they are serious about trading him the asking price will go down.
Of course it will go down, but they are looking for more than a first round pick and the pats have never done that

Of course it will go down, but they are looking for more than a first round pick and the pats have never done that

I would definitely say it’s more likely we don’t get him than make a trade for him. Interesting to see Belichick sniffing around a WR of his talent though. He’s clearly known we need a WR upgrade since last off-season.

Desire to win. He’s making it clear he wants to be in NE, and he knows what that entails. .....

I'm not so confident.

I’d love to see OBJ with Brady, but it’s not worth the $. His cap hit is 17 million next year while Edelman’s will be 4.6. Edelman’s cap hit is 366th in the NFL next year lol. If Gronk comes back, he will have to take a paycut. I think Pats are fine letting Brown go bc of Wynn (Wynn was holding his own during training camp battle), but OBJ would take up a ton of cap space. I’m hoping to keep Flowers. No matter what, I’m very confident the Pats will make the right decisions and have a very good team going into next season with 6 picks in first 100, 1st and 2nd Rd picks we’re injured, and Bentley coming back. Going to be an interesting draft and FA.

We won the Super Bowl without him ...
So how is it that we need him????????????

It's not just us that won SB's without a top end WR. Most teams win without them. Let's look back.

Pats - No top end WR
Philly - Nope
Pats - Nope
Denver - Nope
Pats - Nope
Seattle, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Giants, Indy, Steelers, Pats, Pats, Bucs, Pats, Ravens, Rams, Broncos, Broncos and Packers, all No.

I suppose we can make a case for Dallas and the Niners in 1995 and 1994 as having that type of WR, but that was 23 years ago.

The funny thing is that some of those same teams added that kind of top end WR talent but then didn't win. The current Steelers and Pats in 2007 are examples.

No thanks to Beckham or any other diva. It appears that teams don't need them and their headaches.

It's not just us that won SB's without a top end WR. Most teams win without them. Let's look back.

Pats - No top end WR
Philly - Nope
Pats - Nope
Denver - Nope
Pats - Nope
Seattle, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Giants, Indy, Steelers, Pats, Pats, Bucs, Pats, Ravens, Rams, Broncos, Broncos and Packers, all No.

I suppose we can make a case for Dallas and the Niners in 1995 and 1994 as having that type of WR, but that was 23 years ago.

The funny thing is that some of those same teams added that kind of top end WR talent but then didn't win. The current Steelers and Pats in 2007 are examples.

No thanks to Beckham or any other diva. It appears that teams don't need them and their headaches.

I would argue that Marvin Harrison was a top receiver and may be a few others like Alshon Jeffrey or Hines Ward. But THIS team has never won with that type of receiver.

Pats - No top end WR
Philly - Nope
Pats - Nope
Denver - Nope
Pats - Nope

You can argue that DThomas and Sanders were elite guys in Denver.

The wr core sucked in the playoffs and still
Sucks. JE is a beast but the rest are jags.

Imagine saying you would pass on probably the most talented WR in the league (who's still 26 years old!)

Don't let success go to your head! This team can always get better and OBJ would make it better.

Thanks. Thought it was just a first and forgot. Cooks was on a rookie deal which was huge and Moss they only traded a 4th. Like I said I would love to see OBJ on the pats, but I think the price will be too steep and it would be better to spread around the cap space. OBJ’s cap number next year will be $17 and Edelman’s is a 1/4 of that. It will be interesting to see how they deal with Edelman’s situation regardless. Only one year left I believe and he isn’t making much compared to the current receiver market. He def would have a string case for more money, but I see him ending his career with the Pats. Trading Cooks last year was a real good move even though many were pissed. I know they will create more space than the $18 they have now, but I’d rather they sign several team friendly deals (like they usually do) instead of trading for OBJ. I trust whatever they decide to do. Hard to argue against 6 SB’s. I’m excited about FA and the draft.

Pats - No top end WR
Philly - Nope
Pats - Nope
Denver - Nope
Pats - Nope

Jeffrey, Sanders, Thomas, Harrison, Wayne, Ward, and Gronkowski in his prime (obviously a TE, but still a receiving threat). Some of these guys are potentially HOF worthy.

I get what you’re saying and I agree that an expensive WR likely isn’t the way to go, but that means they’ll need to hit on one in the draft and sign a couple of middle tier free agents.

I’d love to see OBJ with Brady, but it’s not worth the $. His cap hit is 17 million next year while Edelman’s will be 4.6. Edelman’s cap hit is 366th in the NFL next year lol.

You know you play more than one receiver right

Lets spend a ton of money & picks on .....
Or we can draft guys like this after Rd1. Really not that hard.

Pats - No top end WR
Philly - Nope
Pats - Nope
Denver - Nope
Pats - Nope

Your claim of top end WR seems to allow for only about 3 WRs in the entire league at any one time.

Philly won with Jeffery
Broncos won with Thomas
Packers won with Jennings
Etc...

In no reasonable world are those not top end WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back