PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ Rumor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was going into the 2013 season the Steelers matched our offer sheet then let him walk the next year for nothing. Bill was able to see that Sanders could be a higher end wide receiver in the league. I just wish he was able to do that with receivers in the draft.
This is Chad Jackson's year.

Please elaborate more. Who is turning around history? I am not saying anything bad of BB for getting Sanu. I am stating Sanders was on the table too for a lot cheaper price..

I'm not making anything up because last season on sports radio the topic was did BB give up too much in general to get Sanu...

You were making it sound like Sanders was a more desirable choice when both the 49ers and Patriots went hard after Sanu and most likely pushed the compensation for him from a 3rd round pick up to a 2nd.

But whatever my apologies if I misunderstood your point.. the past is the past.

why not, trading for OBJ might just be enough to get this offense going. what the patriots are missing is that "guy" who can demand double coverage and get everyone else open. the "guy" who can beat man coverage and make tough catches. That used to be Moss/welker, then it was Gronk/Edelman....right now with edelman being a shell of himself we dont have that guy.

Its a trickle down effect on the offense. Coverage goes to that guy and all of a sudden everyone else is more open. Its clear that Bill hasnt been able to draft "that guy" since we got Nkeal harry instead of DK metcalf or Deebo Samuel....so he has to trade for it...But until we get a star playmaker on offense, we are limited to what we can do offensively.

why not, trading for OBJ might just be enough to get this offense going. what the patriots are missing is that "guy" who can demand double coverage and get everyone else open. the "guy" who can beat man coverage and make tough catches. That used to be Moss/welker, then it was Gronk/Edelman....right now with edelman being a shell of himself we dont have that guy.

Its a trickle down effect on the offense. Coverage goes to that guy and all of a sudden everyone else is more open. Its clear that Bill hasnt been able to draft "that guy" since we got Nkeal harry instead of DK metcalf or Deebo Samuel....so he has to trade for it...But until we get a star playmaker on offense, we are limited to what we can do offensively.

Even if we get OBJ, this team is still far behind KC, Pitt, Tenn, and Baltimore. If it's for cheap, then OBJ will help us long run. But he's not worth giving up a lot of capital just so we can compete this year. The team is about 2-3 skilled offensive players and 2-3 good defensive players from being a top team again. OBJ by himself does not solve that.

Even if we get OBJ, this team is still far behind KC, Pitt, Tenn, and Baltimore. If it's for cheap, then OBJ will help us long run. But he's not worth giving up a lot of capital just so we can compete this year. The team is about 2-3 skilled offensive players and 2-3 good defensive players from being a top team again. OBJ by himself does not solve that.
I'll wager BB doesn't give up on a championship quest season as readily as I do, but I'd prefer focusing on 2021 onwards. This 2020 squad plus any 2 stars is not gonna win a SB.
Worse yet, an excellent team is one set of bad virus test results away from screwing their playoff pooch.
2020 is highest risk ever for a team going All In.
I'm looking at you Tommy Boy, although I wish you success.

Very keen observation Good post. The problem is we have "0" wampum.....You have Thuney and Gilmore as your featured players. Perhaps Winovitch and J.C. Jackson. Can't see moving on from them whereas you just paid Gilmore $5mm as a bonus and Thuney has been the rock if any on the O line.
OBJ might be no more than a decoy in this offense. Would he help? Sure but I think TE makes Cam a better QB. His top Offensive players in SB# 50 were TE Olsen, RB Stewart and his best WR was Funchness for cryin out loud. Yes I would pay a third for Ertz (would have been a 2 nd but you can buy low because of injury) . He will be out 4 weeks (ANKLE). We get him for down the stretch and if anything he learns the offense. He has some years on his contract and is only 29.
Now I am targeting Evan Ingram. He plays the slot TE that Josh prefers (how many times was Gronk in the slot). I'd keep the rest of our WR core with those two. We'd decimate our Draft but pick up two relatively young guys and the Draft is going to be a disaster this year anyway.
Ingram is on a cheap deal through 2021.
Those two would work out great IMO and they both get open.
That's the big deal. Getting open.
DW Toys

Oh you and me both. When your WR3 has become Dante Stallworth, how you gonna see the field?

OBJ would really allow a lot of potential in our offense to blossom. Demanding double coverages opens things up for Jules, Harry and Byrd, no dbs blitzing and it would give Harry a little less pressure and room to grow into a more productive wide receiver and gain needed confidence. Our run game is solid and when our O line gets better we can definitely get in the playoffs and beat any team. If Cam played we would've beat KC. With OBJ, Cam, OL and our defense im betting on the pats to win any game.

OBJ would really allow a lot of potential in our offense to blossom. Demanding double coverages opens things up for Jules, Harry and Byrd, no dbs blitzing and it would give Harry a little less pressure and room to grow into a more productive wide receiver and gain needed confidence. Our run game is solid and when our O line gets better we can definitely get in the playoffs and beat any team. If Cam played we would've beat KC. With OBJ, Cam, OL and our defense im betting on the pats to win any game.

this. we are much better than our record indicates. I pin the last 2 losses alot on covid. No cam vs KC which we shouldve won and then no practice with a completely different O-line going up against a team that practiced for you for 2 weeks .

A player like OBJ just has a trickle down effect on everyone else. If teams have to put more coverage towards a guy like that it makes life easier for everyone else. Theres a reason guys like Hogan or brandon Lafell had success in new england. and it wasnt because they were world-beaters. its because we had a guy Gronkowski who teams had to pay extra attention to. not to mention Edelman whom at that time was unstoppable

this. we are much better than our record indicates. I pin the last 2 losses alot on covid. No cam vs KC which we shouldve won and then no practice with a completely different O-line going up against a team that practiced for you for 2 weeks .

A player like OBJ just has a trickle down effect on everyone else. If teams have to put more coverage towards a guy like that it makes life easier for everyone else. Theres a reason guys like Hogan or brandon Lafell had success in new england. and it wasnt because they were world-beaters. its because we had a guy Gronkowski who teams had to pay extra attention to. not to mention Edelman whom at that time was unstoppable

Totally agree we should be 4-1. And OBJ would make us better, but is it still enough to be a top seed? Doubt it. With OBJ we would be a dangerous 4, 5, or 6 seed, capable of winning 1 or 2 playoff games. To get to the SB, we need OBJ, a really good TE, and some players on defense IMO.

Did anyone see OBJ's knee injury? Getting ruled out so quickly means it's either pretty severe or he's being traded and they don't want to risk the trade going down in flames..

Did anyone see OBJ's knee injury? Getting ruled out so quickly means it's either pretty severe or he's being traded and they don't want to risk the trade going down in flames..

Here's what the PFF injury analyst had to say...the Browns are stupid for not trading him when they had the chance

Tough break for Beckham, but more glad he is not coming anywhere near foxboro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes