PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Former Falcon makes admission to Malcolm Butler about SB LI

Such a great night. When people complain about how we're not a 14 win team anymore, I recall telling myself I could die happy as a Pats fan after that game. It's still true today.

That loss destroyed the Atlanta Falcons.

They have never been the same.

I can see having a hard time keeping a team focused under those circumstances. But we all know what the Pats' coaching staff would have been doing then.

But this is astounding. There isn't a high school coach in the country that would have allowed that.

Given that lack of discipline and leadership, they should have to clean house from the top down and completely rebuild. Owner, coaches, players. Until every whiff of that is out of the franchise, nothing should work as it should.

I'll never forget all the people who stopped watching the game in the GDT early. Not to single out @FCB02062 or anything (who I generally agree with on this forum).
I left the bar to go finish hate watching the game home at half

I loved SB51, but I’ve been chasing the perfect high since Butler intercepted that pass. That feeling was incomparable.

When I saw Arthur Blank celebrating, I thought in my mind that somehow they’ll still win the game. It was a surreal feeling of dread and confidence at the same time.

arthur-angie-falcons-loss.jpg

She is sad not because of the way the game has gone, but for how much she knows it will injure her man. OT 1st and Goal...He needed a hug here.

This will always be my favorite Super Bowl due to the fact that it filled the souls of haters with joy and happiness for 3 quarters and then very slowly and tortuously ripped that joy and happiness away into horror. It was a delight reading the SB threads on other teams forums.

The lowest point for me was when Ghost missed the XP. I thought watch them come back like Denver 15 and that be the difference again. Not to even mention the penalty on McCellin on the blocked XP that was dead wrong.

The fact that that happened is all on the coaches and leaders of that team. That never happens in the locker room of one of dynasty teams ranging from the Packers to Patriots. Ronnie Lott, Willie McGinist........the team leaders would choke a guy out for that never mind all of them.

wow..

bourne a nicely paid veteran has no excuse to drop that one

This will always be my favorite Super Bowl due to the fact that it filled the souls of haters with joy and happiness for 3 quarters and then very slowly and tortuously ripped that joy and happiness away into horror. It was a delight reading the SB threads on other teams forums.
I like the Seahawks one as well. watch haters join the Seahawks chant when they get down there, and then the Butler does it.

I loved SB51, but I’ve been chasing the perfect high since Butler intercepted that pass. That feeling was incomparable.

When I saw Arthur Blank celebrating, I thought in my mind that somehow they’ll still win the game. It was a surreal feeling of dread and confidence at the same time.
They're two different incredible forms of football nirvana. The Butler interception was this slow feeling of dread as you felt the game seeming to slip away, watching Seattle march downfield, there was that crazy double-clutch catch to get down there, and it felt so much like the damn Giants Super Bowls, it was way too familiar and you just had this pit in your stomach. You're still maintaining hope but you've been here before. Then Butler makes the snag and it's an instantaneous reversal, like a curse has suddenly been lifted.

The Falcons game is much more gradual - you get put in a really bad spot by halftime, but your glimmers of hope show up in the third quarter. You start seeing New England making clutch play after clutch play and you can kind of see Atlanta is gassed already. The momentum builds and builds and builds and you believe more and more that this is actually gonna happen - they're actually going to pull off the greatest comeback in history. And then they did. It was still amazing, but you built that high up gradually over the course of basically like 1.5 hours.

I'd have a hard time picking one. I'd probably go with Atlanta because it's just such a feat and a testament to the willpower of the entire team and the culture they had built (and, obviously, the clutchest of clutch performances ever by the GOAT). But I'd be lying if I didn't hold the Butler interception in my mind as my favorite individual Super Bowl moment.

I will always remember the Falcons game because I had to tolerate my S-I-L taking jabs at the Pats through the 1st half.. It's why I will never watch another FB game with her. Cause she couldn't even give them credit after they won. She just started making excuses about how they shouldn't have been down that much to begin with..

I'm pretty sure a lot of teams dance and celebrate to some extent in the locker when they're absolutely destroying in the SB or some playoff game at the half, and don't necessarily go out and blow it in the 2nd half. Thankfully the Falcons did end up laying an egg.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back