PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: 23 years ago today Belichick became the Head Coach of the Patriots

I’m surprised the Boston media didn’t care for the hire. Anyone live in Boston during this time? What was the consensus among fans?

What I saw living on the opposite side of the country was a D Coordinator getting a ton of attention from the national media (ESPN) when he derailed the 6-2 Pats on MNF and slowed down the Colts who where kicking the crap out of many teams. They certainly hyped up Bill as a coaching candidate. Dom Capers was another guy getting attention as the Jaguars were really good that year. There really wasn’t any other worthy candidates.

Fan reaction was considerably more favorable than the media's to the hire. NGL though, while plenty of us were pleased with the hire I'd be less than forthcoming if I didn't admit we felt Parcell's got (another) one over on us extorting a 1st out of Kraft. You have to keep the context of the time in mind; we'd gone from a SB appearance under Parcells to getting ****ed by him and NY to looking up at his Jets while we steadily declined under Caroll/Grier. The sole comfort we got for the ****ing we took when Parcells was negotiating his way to NY instead of getting ready to play GB in the Super Bowl was the Jete's 1st rounder. A 1st round pick that Parcells effectively got back in exchange for Belichick. Not to mention the bleepin' bleep STOLE Curtis Martin from us

If we're being honest and not letting our 20-20 hindsight and the events of the last 20 years re-write our opinions we were more pissed at Parcells than anything else. It's as common here as it is everywhere else in Pats Nation to be sitting here after a 20+ year run of excellence feeling all kinds of mellow about the Parcells business but we all wanted his head on a stick at the time. He was the boogeyman under Bob & Petesy's bed.

I still want his disingenuous head on that stick to this very day! Unlike most Robin Hoods, I can hold a proper grudge.

Last edited:
Anyone know what time the anti-Belichick mafia on here is hosting their candlelight vigil tonight?

Anyone know what time the anti-Belichick mafia on here is hosting their candlelight vigil tonight?
#antiBillMafia :haha:

Like Antifa? AntiBB?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back