PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: 23 years ago today Belichick became the Head Coach of the Patriots

This thread'll be fun to watch.

I’m still in disbelief that the team I root for because of a birthplace dice roll would get the greatest coach in NFL history and win six championships.

Lots of comedy gold in here:

This one was great. Donahoe as GM lololol. Surprised that this was Karen Guregian
1674834955683.png

Can't believe the CHB actually had an optimistic take on Belichick coming here.
1674835168589.png

A poor man's Rod Rust.

I’m surprised the Boston media didn’t care for the hire. Anyone live in Boston during this time? What was the consensus among fans?

What I saw living on the opposite side of the country was a D Coordinator getting a ton of attention from the national media (ESPN) when he derailed the 6-2 Pats on MNF and slowed down the Colts who where kicking the crap out of many teams. They certainly hyped up Bill as a coaching candidate. Dom Capers was another guy getting attention as the Jaguars were really good that year. There really wasn’t any other worthy candidates.

I’m surprised the Boston media didn’t care for the hire. Anyone live in Boston during this time? What was the consensus among fans?

What I saw living on the opposite side of the country was a D Coordinator getting a ton of attention from the national media (ESPN) when he derailed the 6-2 Pats on MNF and slowed down the Colts who where kicking the crap out of many teams. They certainly hyped up Bill as a coaching candidate. Dom Capers was another guy getting attention as the Jaguars were really good that year. There really wasn’t any other worthy candidates.
Capers was #2 on Kraft's list if they couldn't get Bill to sign the napkin.

I never lived anywhere outside of MA so I can answer this. In general, everyone was relieved that the Carroll / Grier era (error) was over. It was viewed as Kraft falling on his sword, recognizing he was wrong about letting Parcells go, and trying to bring one of Parcells’ guys in as a replacement.

That said, there were definitely questions about Belichick himself (certainly from me, many others did too) - was he one of those defensive masterminds that were great DCs but not cut out to be head coach (think **** LeBeau for a contemporary)? His stint with Cleveland was a roller coaster and considered a bad experience - while the 1995 move played into it, the media fallout over his attitude and the Bernie Kosar situation didn’t help. The Herald article raised a great question - was *that* the guy worthy of surrendering a 1st round pick to get, instead of choosing someone else who was capable that they could get for free?

I will say one of my friends at the time was completely ecstatic about the hiring and told me to just wait and see. And of course he was right fortunately. But I think more people had my attitude than his.

Last edited:
Lots of comedy gold in here:

This one was great. Donahoe as GM lololol. Surprised that this was Karen Guregian
View attachment 49458

Can't believe the CHB actually had an optimistic take on Belichick coming here.
View attachment 49459

I'd like to remind the forum that Karen G. co-wrote that hit piece on the Pats' disarray yesterday........

It stemmed from Belichick's time in Cleveland where he gave the media there a cold shoulder....the NFL media gang looks out for their brethren....

That PLUS giving up a first round pick.

At the time, I fully admit that I wanted the Donohoe/Capers combo myself because I hate giving up first round picks...

We all have Kraft's conviction to thank for this....

The perfect storm came together.

Kraft
Belichick
Brady

If any one person is missing its debatable if there ever is a dynasty.

At work...I'd joke with my boss who is a Packer fan...by doing the "Father-Son-Holy Spirit-cross" thing while saying "Kraft, Brady, and Belichick".....

Belichick's Jets resignation press conference is on YouTube (can't embed here):

uMLi286.gif

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back