PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Number of 2021 Mac Jones Starts

If Mac has a Justin Herbert year going 6-9 with 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions...I'm ok with that bad season for 2021.

If Mac has a Justin Herbert year going 6-9 with 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions...I'm ok with that bad season for 2021.
Im not
First that isn’t going to happen because we have a diametrically different team than the chargers. If THIS team gets good qb play there is no way it’s going 6-9.
That would be a signal that everything else broke and we have 1 piece to start rebuilding.

C'mon - play the game with what we know now. 20 versions (at least) of this thread will be popping up in the next 4 months (maybe 4 weeks at this rate), anyway.

1 start for Mac last week of the regular season before Cam (or more like the defense) wins the SB. Mac follows it up the year after for the back to back. Never too early to start the last part of the 3 wins per decade Dynasty trilogy.
I think we officially have a winner in the "How to say 19-0 in the most words possible" sweepstakes.

Im not
First that isn’t going to happen because we have a diametrically different team than the chargers. If THIS team gets good qb play there is no way it’s going 6-9.
That would be a signal that everything else broke and we have 1 piece to start rebuilding.

Totally disagree. I think 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions is an exceptional year for a QB.

Totally disagree. I think 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions is an exceptional year for a QB.
And 6-9 is a horrific year for the team. I’m not happy with good qb stats and a crappy team are you?

And 6-9 is a horrific year for the team. I’m not happy with good qb stats and a crappy team are you?
Then ignore the 6-9 unless you have an overwhelming need to argue. Lets go with " I think 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions is an exceptional year for a QB" and leave it at that.

Jones will get plenty of reps. It’s his job and newton is borrowing it until he is ready.
Every offense evolves and adds plays throughout the season.

not sure you understand the implications of the newton podcast and the reps needed for our offense.

it took two plus years of starting until Brady was comfortable in the offense,

I think we officially have a winner in the "How to say 19-0 in the most words possible" sweepstakes.
To paraphrase what someone else said, "Only 19-0? The level of pessimism on this board, sometimes..."

To paraphrase what someone else said, "Only 19-0? The level of pessimism on this board, sometimes..."

I say 19 -1 is a bit pessimistic. I am expecting 20 - 0 and a Super Bowl victory.

Then ignore the 6-9 unless you have an overwhelming need to argue. Lets go with " I think 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions is an exceptional year for a QB" and leave it at that.
Well you included 6-9. I’m just saying I wouldn’t trade good QB stats for a losing record. Why would that be an argument?

not sure you understand the implications of the newton podcast and the reps needed for our offense.

it took two plus years of starting until Brady was comfortable in the offense,
I understand the offense. Brady won a SB his first year starting. Newton started the first game of his first year.
EVERY team expands their offense as the season goes on, newton making comments in a podcast doesn’t change that it make it unique.

It’s 3rd and 10 down by 7 in the 4th. Cam sees nothing open from his perspective, only to dart towards the right sideline trying to pick up yards, being met by a violent collision from CJ Mosley. Jones comes in and the rest is history.

Another variable is the strength of the Patriot defense. At the moment, it has the potential to be a top five defense. If the defense is limiting opponents to two touchdowns a game, then there won't be pressure on a rookie to put up a ton of points. Of course, the same could be said for Cam if he were the starter.
Two TD's a game? So they you are thinking they are going to be an all time defense and only give up around 14 ppg? I am not sure that will be the case.

if he has that kind of season stat wise with the potential the defense has Pats will be in the AFCC

Two TD's a game? So they you are thinking they are going to be an all time defense and only give up around 14 ppg? I am not sure that will be the case.
I don't want to be splitting hairs here, but there are a number of all-time great defenses that allowed fewer than 14 points per game - '85 Bears. 12.4; 2000 Ravens, 10.3; '76 Steelers, 9.9; '71 Vikings. 9.9; '75 Rams, 9.6; 2002 Bucs, 12.3, etc. I was merely using two touchdowns per game as a simple metric for approximately what top defenses had allowed over a season. I guess I should have taken into account what is realistic given the higher scoring NFL offenses of today. My main point still stands. With a top defense, the pressure on a rookie quarterback to put up a lot of points is lessened.

My prediction is Jones will start 14 games in the regular season. Win 13. 4,200 yards 72% comp passing. 35 td. 1 int. Wins two playoff games and lost in the afccg. If he does, I don’t want any complaining.
Max kellerman says Jones will fall off a cliff by week four.

2 starts, 2 wins.

I think you guys are ahead of your ski''s on this one. If we use the Brady template he is the competing on the third team. Cam get first team, Stidham gets second. Then Mac's first job is to know the playbook, then go after Stidham's spot. Let's see when he beats out Stidham first. PFW should be able to tell us early on his competing level with the 3's. Once he get's the o.k. from Josh he will take reps from Stid. Then he has to show some serious competency of the offense. Cam would have to put balls on the ground with the new talent then coach will give him first team reps. My gut tells me Cam will play better but he has limits. If Mac gets in early we will be having a bad season, don't want that. That means Cam and Stid spit the bit and lost some games.
Some solid points.

We will get at least one measurable: who is on the Week 1 roster?

I agree if Jones gets in we're having a bad season.

Some say we are better off using this year as the baptism by fire year, personally I really doubt that, better to give him a red shirt season to learn our complex offense.

BB set up this year's team to play to Cam's strengths, it's going to be a lot to ask Mac to beat out a much more developed player, both physically and mentally.

Next year there will be no need to sign Cam, and perhaps we can add more/better WRs to give him some more targets.

The real wild card is Cam showing up and stinking out the joint. I'm thinking that's unlikely, but you never know.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back