PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Number of 2021 Mac Jones Starts

sturmrider

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We all have our opinion on Mac Jones pros and cons, but here is a fun little game we can try. Everyone try to predict how many starts he will get this year and his record in them. I believe it will be between 7 and 10 starts and he will face the AFC East teams at least once some maybe twice. Given this I think he beats the Jets, the Bills and Miami are toss ups to me, but he has a shot at beating Miami.

If he faces the Bucs I don't see him winning. So I guess my final guess is he starts 8 games and has a .500 record splitting them.

I am sorry I tried to make a poll, but don't know how. I have not started too many posts on the forum, but I thought this might be fun for early guesses.

Take care everyone and enjoy the rest of the draft. Hopefully we get what we need.

Hi Guys,

We all have our opinion on Mac Jones pros and cons, but here is a fun little game we can try. Everyone try to predict how many starts he will get this year and his record in them. I believe it will be between 7 and 10 starts and he will face the AFC East teams at least once some maybe twice. Given this I think he beats the Jets, the Bills and Miami are toss ups to me, but he has a shot at beating Miami.

If he faces the Bucs I don't see him winning. So I guess my final guess is he starts 8 games and has a .500 record splitting them.

I am sorry I tried to make a poll, but don't know how. I have not started too many posts on the forum, but I thought this might be fun for early guesses.

Take care everyone and enjoy the rest of the draft. Hopefully we get what we need.

It depends too much on things that can't be known yet. We need to know what Cam looks like and whether he's adequate. We also need to know how Jones handles his training camp and whether he looks ready to go.

I suspect Bill is going to take it slow. I don't see Jones starting a lot of games next year, in fact he may only start in dead time after the division race is settled one way or another or in the event of injury. A rookie QB sitting for his first season is not unusual.

It depends too much on things that can't be known yet. We need to know what Cam looks like and whether he's adequate. We also need to know how Jones handles his training camp and whether he looks ready to go.

I suspect Bill is going to take it slow. I don't see Jones starting a lot of games next year, in fact he may only start in dead time after the division race is settled one way or another or in the event of injury. A rookie QB sitting for his first season is not unusual.
I agree with everything you said. I was just trying to throw something out there to make it interesting before we see preseason. After that we can almost say with some certainty how much he will sit. I think he may start more than you suggest because many have said he is ready right now. Bill won't throw him to the wolves right away, but has shown he is not afraid to change QBs in the middle of the season. Just my thoughts on it.

Jones will start when he is ready and when the team needs him, there are too many variables to predict something like this. Betcha this week sportstalk radio will be all over this and rehash it over and over again..

C'mon - play the game with what we know now. 20 versions (at least) of this thread will be popping up in the next 4 months (maybe 4 weeks at this rate), anyway.

1 start for Mac last week of the regular season before Cam (or more like the defense) wins the SB. Mac follows it up the year after for the back to back. Never too early to start the last part of the 3 wins per decade Dynasty trilogy.

Another variable is the strength of the Patriot defense. At the moment, it has the potential to be a top five defense. If the defense is limiting opponents to two touchdowns a game, then there won't be pressure on a rookie to put up a ton of points. Of course, the same could be said for Cam if he were the starter.

Qb’s that we drafted that wore number 10 in college have been really good for us!

no way does Jones see the field unless he can run the offense and he gives us a better chance to win than the other qb’s,

This team is the perfect landing spot for a rookie QB to take over.
Last year we threw less than 20 times in 7 games. We averaged only 27 passes a game. If cam Newton is playing we will do the same because we only want him throwing when absolutely or when the running game creates a favorable pass situation.
That is what you want to do with a rookie. Don’t put the gang on his shoulders unless it’s the only choice you have. Give him
success by staying on schedule, not needing 3rd and 18s, and be willing to run a draw and punt in the right situations. Find his spots to grow into being ready to run a balanced offense or a pass heavy offense vs the right opponent.

We have
A very strong ol
A very strong running game
2 excellent TEs which are a key to don’t needing to force throws
A system that has won a ton of games only needing to dink and dunk.
A very good coaching staff that has been through this process the time it worked better than any other.

If you ask jones to throw on play action, against a stacked box and on 3rd down with a reasonable distance to go, like what we did last year, you will see that the first read is often open due to play design, and timing of knowing when he is open, throwing at the right time and accuracy are what by far matter most. These are jones best strengths abs newton biggest weaknesses.
There will be games where we fall behind or we need 2 minute drills and his rookie inexperience will show but that is how he develops and let’s be honest we are’s screwed in those situations with newton.
I expect Jones gets a lot of preseason playing time, and one on one tutelage from bb like Brady got, which may lead him to be the starter out of the gate, but at them worst will have him starting by Halloween

Qb’s that we drafted that wore number 10 in college have been really good for us!

no way does Jones see the field unless he can run the offense and he gives us a better chance to win than the other qb’s,
He will be at that point a couple weeks into camp. He will be the best QB on the team quickly, the timeframe is more about him adjusting to the nfl game and not throwing him in before he’s ready even though he would be better than what we have

I’m thinking he barely sees the field this year. Maybe starts the last game of the year ala Mahomes.
Kc had a viable QB to play, we do not.

I would be ok with Cam in the Taysom Hill role. 10 - 12 plays per game. He could be very effective used this way.

He won't start until a Jete player knocks Cam out and has to go in...

He will be at that point a couple weeks into camp. He will be the best QB on the team quickly, the timeframe is more about him adjusting to the nfl game and not throwing him in before he’s ready even though he would be better than what we have

According to the podcast that newton did, it appears the patriots offense is not static. Over the course of the season more is added.

not only does jones have to learn the base, but he has to keep up with the new elements added throughout the year.

I do not know if there are enough reps in practice for a rookie to master that.

According to the podcast that newton did, it appears the patriots offense is not static. Over the course of the season more is added.

not only does jones have to learn the base, but he has to keep up with the new elements added throughout the year.

I do not know if there are enough reps in practice for a rookie to master that.
Jones will get plenty of reps. It’s his job and newton is borrowing it until he is ready.
Every offense evolves and adds plays throughout the season.

I think you guys are ahead of your ski''s on this one. If we use the Brady template he is the competing on the third team. Cam get first team, Stidham gets second. Then Mac's first job is to know the playbook, then go after Stidham's spot. Let's see when he beats out Stidham first. PFW should be able to tell us early on his competing level with the 3's. Once he get's the o.k. from Josh he will take reps from Stid. Then he has to show some serious competency of the offense. Cam would have to put balls on the ground with the new talent then coach will give him first team reps. My gut tells me Cam will play better but he has limits. If Mac gets in early we will be having a bad season, don't want that. That means Cam and Stid spit the bit and lost some games.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back