PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not sure if anyone has seen this article yet but really interesting stuff. Great job by Hoyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has been going around various threads. But now that it has its own separate place I just wanna say how absurdly under appreciated Hoyer and maybe more importantly his contract have been in the last year.

If you look at Hoyers numbers as starter compared to other QB1s in the league then he looks like a player who goes back and forth at being a below and above average QB. He is someone who can go in and play 2-3 series if Brady has a minor injury that needs attention and I am also confident that the coaching staff could design a gameplan to go 2-2 in a 4 game stretch if Brady had something more serious. Obviously you don't wanna go an entire season with him because at some point his limitations will be exposed.

All that being said his cap hit for 1.5 years as QB2 has been 1.5m. That is amazing value for a veteran QB. I rarely see that aspect of the JG trade brought up. We made the 49ers eat 7.2m in cap space.

I suspect that Hoyer is healthy enough to continue to be Brady's backup. Both contracts end in 2019. I suggest that we probably should extend both for the same time frame (whatever that is). When Hoyer retires (if it before Brady), then we should still carry 3.

And yes, I do think that we should be carrying a 3rd QB, as well as carrying one on the Practice Squad. So, for me, I think that we should draft a QB in the first three rounds, as Belichick has done several times before.

Hoyer seems like a good dude. And I'm glad he can play 2-3 series if needed. I think him and Brady mesh well. That said, they still need to look at the draft for the QBOTF.

Someone has also pointed out that Hoyer came (back) to NE as part of the deal that sent Jimmy G to SF. This makes that hurt a bit less. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back