PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Howard Mudd = A Bad Peyton Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only an idiot would seek to take away the accomplishments of a genuinely brilliant quarterback. Manning is in a slump. It happens.

Feel better now?? Wow. :eek:

There are only 2 words as to why Manning has struggled

Dallas Clark

Clark,even though a tight end is Peyton's go to guy and a player who almost always found a way to get open and helped his QB look great.

Clark is our version of Wes Welker,take away Wes and Brady will struggle

2001-2006 called and says hi!

Brady has always had his binkies though. First is was Troy, then Branch, and then Wes. How we made it to the AFCC game in 2006 without a TFB Binky, I'll never know...TFB is just that good.

That's kinda what's scary about this season, this offense. TFB has 2 binkies on one team...the last time that happened, we won back-to-back championships.

Brady has always had his binkies though. First is was Troy, then Branch, and then Wes. How we made it to the AFCC game in 2006 without a TFB Binky, I'll never know...TFB is just that good.

That's kinda what's scary about this season, this offense. TFB has 2 binkies on one team...the last time that happened, we won back-to-back championships.

who r the binkies? welker and branch???

You mean Brown/Branch?

Moss wasn't a binkie?

I am skeptical of this binkie theory.

who r the binkies? welker and branch???

Yeah, currently, I think what we've seen over the last couple games is Brady and Branch getting back they single-mindedness that we all saw an loved during the glory years and Welker is finally starting to look like the WWW from the last 3 years.

In 2003 and 2004, it was Branch and Brown. I don't want to undersell what Givens did for this team, but Troy was always good for that crucial 3rd down while Branch did all the heavy lifting.

I also think that Woodhead is becoming TFB's go to, check down. Basically, Danny is finally becoming the all-around player that Faulk has been for years.

It's amazing to me, that a guy the Pats picked up off the street in week 2, has become so important and dependable on this offense. This has to speak volumes for Woodhead's football intelligence, not to mention the athleticism that he must have to play in the NFL at 5'7".

Last edited:
You mean Brown/Branch?

Moss wasn't a binkie?

I am skeptical of this binkie theory.

There's no real theory, just that Brady has a couple guys that he trusts...period.

Moss was never a Binky...he was more of the dagger in the heart of those offenses. Most of Moss' catches were the back-breaking variety, not the wear you down until submission kind. WWW and DB are those type of guys.

Going back on topic. Manning has always had those guys too, Wayne and Clark, or Wayne and Harrison. Manning is throwing picks for 2 reasons, he's not in sync with his 2nd or 3rd options and he's trying to do to much.

I think this is going going to get worse, before it gets better. Manning is feel the pressure to WILL his team into the Plyoffs for the first time in 7-8 years. Every loss is going to make the next week that much harder...that much more pressure. His D isn't helping him any either. This is the first time in a long time that his D isn't coming up with the big turnover like it has in the past...I guess we're seeing what happens to a speed defense when it starts to get old and lose that speed.

Last edited:
The OP may be entirely correct. I don't know how probable it is. I'd think that if defenses thought their signs were being stolen, they'd change them up or something really quickly.

The rest of the posters bashing him because "manning is in a slump", don't seem to hear what the OP is saying. YES, he's in a slump but WHY. It could be that his defensive reads aren't up to par and that conceivably COULD BE because of this sign stealing master being gone. The OP didn't say he wasn't in a slump, so the claim that the OP is wrong and that "he's in a slump" are bizarre.

There are only 2 words as to why Manning has struggled

Dallas Clark

Clark,even though a tight end is Peyton's go to guy and a player who almost always found a way to get open and helped his QB look great.

Clark is our version of Wes Welker,take away Wes and Brady will struggle

I think you are overstating Clark's impact or we all overstate Manning's greatness. I don't think Brady would throw 11 picks in 3 games if he lost Welker.

Right now, Manning is playing like Favre. He isn't thinking on his throws. He is just throwing balls out there into tight coverage. That isn't Manning-like. That is how Favre plays. I don't think Clark caused that (he played a part, but not the only reason). I think Moore might have been underrated in working with Manning during the game in identifying the coverages and the weak points.

Quarterbacks I'd rather have right now and going forward than Peyton Manning:

Brady
Rivers
Ryan
Rodgers
Brees
Vick
Rothlissberger

Quarterbacks I'd think long and hard about possibly picking before Manning:
Flacco
Freeman
Bradford
Cassel
Orton
Schaub

I'm not saying he sucks-- I'd still rather have him than Mark Sanchez!
:)

Dude... really?

my friend brought this up yesterday, and i thought it had some merit...

Manning completely depends on his pre-snap read...

usually he used to do it with incredible success, and he KNEW before the play where he intended to throw the ball, and b/c the colts is such a timing offense also knew exactly WHERE to throw the ball

because of this all his career hes used to throwing to spots which his recievers would consistently get to, and which he knew would be open b/c of his pre-snap reads

HOWEVER, recently a couple of things have started to happen, one of these is that his pre-snap reads are not as effective or correct, defenses are starting to confuse him more so than in the past, and im not really sure why, but its the truth, hence the spots he usually throws to and are usually open are not so any longer, furthermore his recievers do not do as well a job of getting to those spots at the right second so there is alittle bit of truth in that truth of wr/te injuries affecting him

remeber our colts game? BB's main thing was DISGUISE the coverage, dont let manning know what you will do pre-snap, and you win, bump the recievers, throw the timing a little bit off, and manning will throw badly because he'll still trhow to a spot instead of the reciever

he is still getting his numbers if you look at yards and td's, but the inconsistencies in his offense are causing all the picks, plus, his O-line is not as good as it used to be, and that means he gets hit, and Manning is a QB that is affected IMMENSLY by hits, especially early in the game (the guy was shutting his eyes before the ball had even left his hand in the SD game)

my friend brought this up yesterday, and i thought it had some merit...

Manning completely depends on his pre-snap read...

usually he used to do it with incredible success, and he KNEW before the play where he intended to throw the ball, and b/c the colts is such a timing offense also knew exactly WHERE to throw the ball

because of this all his career hes used to throwing to spots which his recievers would consistently get to, and which he knew would be open b/c of his pre-snap reads

HOWEVER, recently a couple of things have started to happen, one of these is that his pre-snap reads are not as effective or correct, defenses are starting to confuse him more so than in the past, and im not really sure why, but its the truth, hence the spots he usually throws to and are usually open are not so any longer, furthermore his recievers do not do as well a job of getting to those spots at the right second so there is alittle bit of truth in that truth of wr/te injuries affecting him

remeber our colts game? BB's main thing was DISGUISE the coverage, dont let manning know what you will do pre-snap, and you win, bump the recievers, throw the timing a little bit off, and manning will throw badly because he'll still trhow to a spot instead of the reciever

he is still getting his numbers if you look at yards and td's, but the inconsistencies in his offense are causing all the picks, plus, his O-line is not as good as it used to be, and that means he gets hit, and Manning is a QB that is affected IMMENSLY by hits, especially early in the game (the guy was shutting his eyes before the ball had even left his hand in the SD game)

This is spot on. When Belichick was miked a few weeks ago, you could hear him say, "This is what we want" when Peyton was going downfield looking for a TD.

Belichick was maybe afraid of giving up a FG in that game. He wanted Peyton to go for the TD.

He was expecting the interception.

I've NEVER seen Manning look this bad, ever. I don't think he's ever thrown 11 picks in 3 games, even his rookie season when he didn't have Wayne/Clark (he had Harrison).

Dude... really?

Yes, in the context of signing a 5-year deal, not just considering winning a game played tomorrow.

1) He is 34
2) He reportedly wants 100 million over 5 years
3) He is not making many of the throws he used to make with ease

These issues push many of the guys I mentioned above him, again, in a long term (5 year) window of analysis.

Your equation is wrong.

No running game = A bad Peyton Manning

Teams key on the pass more since they don't worry about the run.

Your equation is wrong.

Their running game now is comparable to their running game last year, when they were last in the league. Peyton was MVP. Maybe the difference is Father Time, an undislosed injury, compensation for past good luck (the past few years no team has benefitted more from opponents collapsing late in games), and more likely a little bit of all three. Plus a dash of karma mixed in for quitting like dogs last year. :D

Where is all the "blueprint" talk, as in BB gave the rest of the league the blueprint on how to beat the Colts. Jam the recievers, and disguise your coverage. Manning still has Reggie ayne and the referees on his side. I think it is the disguising of coverages that has been killing him. Let's not forget that he is still putting up 30+ points a game, it is just that his defense and running game are both terrible.

Your equation is wrong.

The Colts had one of the worst, if not the worst, running games in the league last season...Manning did just fine. Their offense doesnt rely on the run game.

you all should actually watch a colts game sometime, you'll see why Manning isn't doing so hot. It has nothing to do with Mudd.

We've never had a run game to speak of, but this year it is HORRENDOUS. I mean like absolutely embarrassing. I think the Cowboy's washed-up 2nd string QB got more run yards in one play than any of our RBs did in the entire game. That bad. And the pass protection is, no joke, the worst I've ever seen in the last 4-5 games. Peyton is even getting tackled while doing hand-offs.

Plus, considering the fact he started the season off at record pace doesn't lend much to the Mudd theory. It's just that the entire team has somehow collapsed recently and none of the higher ups have any clue how to fix it. I said in another post Peyton has been throwing balls to empty holes on the field as Reggie is double/triple covered and the other PS guys don't know their routes. In the last few games he's taken to staring down receivers so he knows where the he** they're going to be or forcing it to Reggie and it's getting intercepted (or the OL disintegrates and he gets hit and intercepted). I don't blame him as the other option is a horrible slow death as Donald Brown runs for negative yardage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes