PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Biggest bust: As revealed in Michael Holley's War Room, the Patriots scouts clearly regret the fact that Ben McDaniels' experience with Maroney in Minnesota was allowed to overrule their concerns"

"
If the report is true, this would not be the first time Belichick has overruled the opinions of his scouts on a player, and in the past, it was also a result of the opinion of one of the coaches within Belichick's circle.

He ignored the opinions of his scouts with regard to Florida wide receiver Chad Jackson and Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney in the 2006 draft (according to Michael Holley in War Room). Holley explains that Josh McDaniels' brother, Ben, was a member of the Minnesota coaching staff and gave a great review of Maroney"

McDaniels' family members will disagree and try to blame it all on BB, but McDaniels is an absolute disaster and the reason for the Harry and Sony picks (and Maroney and Chad Jackson). Belichick drafted and developed good receivers when he had guys on staff like Reese+O'Brien here (Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez) and Weiss+Pioli+Dimitroff (Branch, Givens). There is zero coincidence the draught from 2012-now has been with McDaniels+Caserio the last 8 years and also 2005-2008. The strategy here should be only use our top draft picks on what the staff is good at evaluating, which is currently any picks for defense (DT, DE, LB) or offensive line. Completely ignore whatever McDaniels says, in fact tell him to take a 1 month vacation before and leading up to the draft (if not get a new OC entirely), and only get WRs or TEs via NFL trades and also after some other person besides McDaniels/Caserio says the player is good.

Last edited:
HDS.
Harry deranged syndrome. I can only imagine what some of you say when he gets the holding calls against him. At least he gets in the stat sheet for penalties so don’t tell me he does not do something.

The verdict is in and Harry is a BUST. And, Sony aint too far behind him.

How much more does anyone need to see? There have been games when you cant even tell that he is at the stadium. Harry cannot get open and is cement shoes slow. If you would like a comparison of Harry is supposed to look like then check out Allen Robinson for the Bears. Robinson is not fast either and he hasnt had the best of QBs throwing at him. But, if the ball goes in his direction, the shorter Robinson will out physical the defender and make the catch.

Harry the "Redzone Target" will never put up numbers like these. Allen Robinson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Well we can like or dislike Matt. I think it's clear that the MAIN issue is with the QB. The talent around him is not elite but the QB is NOT making the throws. There are plays to be made. He is not aware in the pocket either. He almost got killed last week. I do not want to see him back next season. Tommy Hodson would have beaten Denver. Cam could not.
We knew there was a problem with the receivers last year. This is not a new thing.

Honestly up until a week ago I thought "How could Harry get any worse?". He already can't get open, drops passes, gets outmuscled, cant even gain yards on a jet sweep etc. Then he decides to throw me a curveball and starts getting holding penalties. Say what you want about him but he can always find a way to disappoint.

Honestly up until a week ago I thought "How could Harry get any worse?". He already can't get open, drops passes, gets outmuscled, cant even gain yards on a jet sweep etc. Then he decides to throw me a curveball and starts getting holding penalties. Say what you want about him but he can always find a way to disappoint.

Going from arguably the worst WR in the NFL to a JAG would help the offense. They have to play Moncrief over him this week.

you keep trying to make this point for some reason

Sure if Harry, as terrible as he is somehow found himself on the field for the chefs he might do alright. He’d be completely ignored by the defense while they focused on the actual receiving threats so he’d probably find a few balls coming his way.

Here though with our lack of weapons he’s useless since the defense at least pretends to acknowledge his existence.

Harry is useless. I don’t see him doing much elsewhere. His yards per catch is embarrassing. No explosion whatsoever.

Harry's greatest play in his career (the TD catch against the Chiefs last year) was nullified by the refs.

It is almost like he is cursed now! Every single WR taken in that draft has excelled except HIM! He fumbles on the goal line, drops passes, and now he is getting flagged for holding. I think this has snowballed on him and he is stuck in a rut that he may never get out of!

I hope he doesn't read this site because his confidence is already shot, but reading our collective opinions of his play would really be the final nail in his coffin.

He needs a mind numbing career day (like over 200 yards with a couple of TDs) just to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe he can summon some voodoo magic from his Haitian ancestory to get him out of it, but alas I feel this will never happen and that light he sees in the distance is the oncoming train coming to derail his NFL career.

I don't like it anymore than you men.

Harry's greatest play in his career (the TD catch against the Chiefs last year) was nullified by the refs.

It is almost like he is cursed now! Every single WR taken in that draft has excelled except HIM! He fumbles on the goal line, drops passes, and now he is getting flagged for holding. I think this has snowballed on him and he is stuck in a rut that he may never get out of!
I agree with the curse bit. He was 1 yard away in Seattle from making the game winning TD catch. I wonder how much differently this season would've gone for him if that happened (although in addition to the vicious helmet hit he may have also injured his ankle that game). He was also 1yd away from a TD catch against Miami. At this point, he needs to be shelved for a while (some would say permanently) to heal his shoulder, head, ankle, and whatever ailments he's hiding. I want to see Ford, but understand that Moncrief is much more versatile (and way faster.. if he can continue to catch the darn ball - a poor man's Allen Robinson).

I didn’t think we could make a worse WR choice than Aaron Dobson over Keenan Allen. I mean, Allen was so much better in college. BB worshippers here screamed “allen wouldn’t learn our playbook too advanced”. Meanwhile, Allen has developed into the most intelligent Route runner in the nfl while Dobson was one of the dumbest WRs in the nfl

7 years later....Harry over AJ Brown and DK Metcalf takes the cake

On draft day I wrote how Harry could not get open and got roasted on this board. But I was right, but the weird thing is how an amateur like me could see this and not BB? I only had seem, like, 60 seconds of highlights and it was obvious that Harry was a plodder, but BB missed it? I wonder if McDaniels was in on this disaster also. Bill and Josh should never, ever be allowed to take a WR with a high pick; they have flubbed it again and again.

The scary part is that they will go into the 2011 draft with a huge need at WR and a proven track record of making horrible picks at the position. And they don't seem to be fully aware of how incompetent they are at making these picks. Another disaster is looming.

yes. The consensus best WR on the board, we seem to ALWAYS pass on. Keenan Allen in 2013 fell to round 2. He was easily the best WR on the board. We passed him up for dropson.

one thing about pats WRs we draft....price, Tate, Dobson, Boyce, Mitchell, Harry....they are all so soft! Zero ability to break tackles, very injury prone, and doesn’t fight For the ball

I didn’t think we could make a worse WR choice than Aaron Dobson over Keenan Allen. I mean, Allen was so much better in college. BB worshippers here screamed “allen wouldn’t learn our playbook too advanced”. Meanwhile, Allen has developed into the most intelligent Route runner in the nfl while Dobson was one of the dumbest WRs in the nfl

7 years later....Harry over AJ Brown and DK Metcalf takes the cake
We should've listened to Deion Branch before the draft:

Prospects that catch his eye this year: "I enjoy watching the college games, and with the NFL, I only watch [the Patriots]. I haven't seen as many guys on the West Coast, but I like the two Ole Miss receivers [D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown].

yes. The consensus best WR on the board, we seem to ALWAYS pass on. Keenan Allen in 2013 fell to round 2. He was easily the best WR on the board. We passed him up for dropson.
Passing on Allen for Dobson was unacceptable just like taking Cunningham over the Dunlap in 2010 and passing on Jabaal Sheard for the legend of Ras-"IR"-Dowling in 2011. There's many more examples of passing on the obvious guys.

It's amazing how different this team would've been just by taking obvious guys like Allen, Dunlap, Sheard who were not "hindsight" picks.

I've joked about it before, but BB has been so bad drafting since 2013, he'd have better success picking up a "Lindy's", "Athlon" or "Sporting News" magazine and take players based on those rankings.

Last edited:
We should've listened to Deion Branch before the draft:

Prospects that catch his eye this year: "I enjoy watching the college games, and with the NFL, I only watch [the Patriots]. I haven't seen as many guys on the West Coast, but I like the two Ole Miss receivers [D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown].
Maybe they should hire him.

128923556_10164612812665637_5495204470435746947_n.jpg

Wide Reciever Separation in Week 12
This chart shows the average separation each receiver achieved from the defenders covering them on their routes in week 12.

N'Keal Harry - 0.99 yds
Damiere Byrd - 2.51 yds
Jakobi Meyers - 2.76 yds

League Average is 2.86 yds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill