PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Niners week discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going out on a limb here and going to suggest something crazy. The board is probably going to crucify me for this suggestion, but oh well here goes. If Cam is not getting it done in the first half and doesn't look good, I would like to see the Patriots send in Stidham with all his warts. Let's find out if he has any potential to be a quarterback of the future. If things aren't going well in the game what have we to lose.

I know everyone says he is a bust, but really how much opportunity has he had to play. We need to know what we are doing next year and in the years to come. I've seen them all from Songin to Brady. We have had some good and bad, but now we are floundering and I feel like we have to make some hard decisions are we going to extend Cam knowing what he is or look elsewhere. If elsewhere let's start with one of our own draftees.

How the Patriots plan to handle George Kittle when the 49ers visit Gillette Stadium is one of the week's major storylines. Dugger figured to be a factor. He's the kind of rangy, explosive athlete who could be a nice matchup weapon for a tough cover like Kittle.​
But now that Friday's injury report has been released, Dugger's availability to the Patriots defense Sunday is up in the air. He's been listed as questionable for Sunday with an ankle injury.​
Defensive lineman Adam Butler (shoulder), receiver Julian Edelman (knee), guard Shaq Mason (calf) and outside linebacker Derek Rivers (back) are also questionable.​

The 49ers will be without both of their starting safeties for Sunday’s game against the Patriots.​
Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt have both been ruled out for Week 7. Ward was added to the injury report on Friday and did not participate in practice due to a quad injury. Tartt is sidelined by a groin injury.​
The defense will also be without linebacker Kwon Alexander. He’s out with an ankle injury for the second straight week.​
Running back Raheem Mostert was the only offensive player ruled out.​

this becomes kinda like a must win. with the bills looming and that being in buffalo , we could look at 2-5 . And we have had two losses where we were in the redzone with a chance to win which is quite frustrating.

I'm going out on a limb here and going to suggest something crazy. The board is probably going to crucify me for this suggestion, but oh well here goes. If Cam is not getting it done in the first half and doesn't look good, I would like to see the Patriots send in Stidham with all his warts. Let's find out if he has any potential to be a quarterback of the future. If things aren't going well in the game what have we to lose.

I know everyone says he is a bust, but really how much opportunity has he had to play. We need to know what we are doing next year and in the years to come. I've seen them all from Songin to Brady. We have had some good and bad, but now we are floundering and I feel like we have to make some hard decisions are we going to extend Cam knowing what he is or look elsewhere. If elsewhere let's start with one of our own draftees.
Pats are nowhere near that point with Cam yet. This coming from someone who wants to see JS play too.

this becomes kinda like a must win. with the bills looming and that being in buffalo , we could look at 2-5 . And we have had two losses where we were in the redzone with a chance to win which is quite frustrating.
Bills haven’t exactly looked like champs the last two weeks either.

Bills haven’t exactly looked like champs the last two weeks either.
That is true. But their offense is still a bit more functional right than ours esp in the passing game. They should be favored playing at home.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
This game is basically the season IMO. get to 3-3 and then you have a chance to beat Buffalo and possibly take lead in the division. Then you can go into the trade dealine looking as Buyers to boost the offense for a playoff run. we probably don't sniff the superbowl but its a message to the rest of the league that "we are still here"

Lose this game and it becomes incredibly tough to make the playoffs and we maybe have to start looking at becoming sellers at the deadline

This game is basically the season IMO. get to 3-3 and then you have a chance to beat Buffalo and possibly take lead in the division. Then you can go into the trade dealine looking as Buyers to boost the offense for a playoff run. we probably don't sniff the superbowl but its a message to the rest of the league that "we are still here"

Lose this game and it becomes incredibly tough to make the playoffs and we maybe have to start looking at becoming sellers at the deadline
I think it’s this and next week. 4-3 is decent and we’d be back in control of our destiny for the division.

I will be curious to see if the Niners keep Verrett on the outside versus Harry or Byrd - or move him inside on Edelman, even though he rarely covers the slot.

WR Deebo Samuel
Samuel will help the 49ers compensate for Mostert’s absence with his contributions in the run game. The 49ers like to get the ball in Samuel’s hands with jet sweeps or forward tosses that he hauls in at top speed to enable him to quickly get to the edge. . . .​
CB Jason Verrett
Opposing quarterbacks have compiled a 7.8 passer rating when targeting Verrett this season. For a point of reference, if every pass thrown his way was merely an incompletion, the rating would be 39.6. . . .​
TE Greg Kittle
Belichick’s blueprint typically consists of identifying the opposition’s best offensive weapon and designing a plan on defense to limit that player’s effectiveness. There are ways he can do that in the passing game.​
But what makes Kittle such a great player is that he can have a less-obvious-but-just-as-important impact in the 49ers’ running game with his blocking.​
And if the Patriots devote too many resources to slowing down Kittle, that could also leave some of the 49ers’ other offensive players in inviting one-on-one situations for big plays. . . .​
LB Fred Warner
An unquestioned leader on the 49ers’ defense has emerged. In the 49ers’ current state, Fred Warner is not only the team’s best defensive player, but he is also the heartbeat of that unit. . . .​
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
It seems likely after Garoppolo’s dink-and-dunk performance against the Rams that the Patriots will crowd the line of scrimmage and the middle of the field in an attempt to limit the 49ers’ short-passing game.​
The Patriots have to feel good about their matchups on the outside with veteran cornerbacks Gilmore and Jason McCourty. There should be plays available for the 49ers in the passing game, but it might require some tight-window throws for Garoppolo.​
That’s the challenge for Garoppolo. His ability to deliver with his right arm might determine the outcome of this game.​

4-12 is better than 8-8

4-12 is better than 8-8

Yes, lots of folks who became fans since 2000 believe that. Are you one of those? Certainly, Belichick, the coaches, the players and the ownership strongly disagree with you.

That being said, we aren't going 4-12. Root for us to lose if you wish.

Yes, lots of folks who became fans since 2000 believe that. Are you one of those? Certainly, Belichick, the coaches, the players and the ownership strongly disagree with you.

That being said, we aren't going 4-12. Root for us to lose if you wish.
If I was rooting for them to lose, I'd have typed 2-14.
I believe they can squeak by the JESTs
NE might even be favored
:)

Now......

This game is basically the season IMO. get to 3-3 and then you have a chance to beat Buffalo and possibly take lead in the division. Then you can go into the trade deadline looking as Buyers to boost the offense for a playoff run. We probably don't sniff the superbowl but its a message to the rest of the league that "we are still here".

I hadn't thought about it (bolded part) that way. I don't know if that is or is not valid.

My concern with being a buyer is this: if it is not going to make the team a super bowl contender, then why take that strategy? Why mortgage the future if you already know it is not going to be enough? I would prefer to retain what would need to be traded (future draft pick capital).

4-12 is better than 8-8
I get your point, but hopefully this team is not THAT bad. I can see this team, flawed as it is, still winning most of vs SF, at Jets, at Texans, vs Arizona, at Chargers, at Miami and vs Jets. That leaves two games vs Buffalo, plus at Rams and vs Ravens. For each game the Pats lose from the first group, they need a win from the second group to finish 9-7 - which may be enough to make the playoffs.

The question is this: are the Patriots for the rest of 2020 the team we saw in weeks 1-4, defeating the Raiders and Dolphins while putting up better than expected games in losses to KC and Seattle (a combined 10-1)? Or are they as bad as the team that lost to Denver?

If the Pats are indeed just a 4-12 team then the rebuild will need to take much longer than expected.

The question is this: are the Patriots for the rest of 2020 the team we saw in weeks 1-4, defeating the Raiders and Dolphins while putting up better than expected games in losses to KC and Seattle (a combined 10-1)? Or are they as bad as the team that lost to Denver?
The QB and team looked extremely rusty and injuries and pandemic screwed up their preparation.

So let’s see what they look like tomorrow with a good week of practice in the books against another flawed team. If they win convincingly then the Denver game is probably an anomaly due to circumstances. If the offense struggles badly again then that will be an eyebrow raiser.

This article goes into how the Niners will replace Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman at running back.

JaMycal Hasty was the hush-hush find at 49ers training camp. His burst was evident, even among a more experienced and vetted running back corps.​
Because the preseason was canceled, other teams could not witness that potential and instead saw a 5-foot-8 running back hit the waiver wire among 23 preseason cuts on Sept. 5.​
So the 49ers happily snuck him onto the practice squad, stashing him there until inevitable injuries summoned him to the active roster. . . .​
McKinnon’s experience and stronger build makes him a sure-fire starter. But he was overworked two games ago, with 21 touches for 97 all-purpose yards, as Shanahan acknowledged.​
Hasty and, if healthy, Wilson are worthwhile options off the bench, not to mention the end-around runs by Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk. Wilson was limited in practice Wednesday by calf tightness that kept him out of last week’s practices and the win over the Rams.​
Undrafted out of Baylor, Hasty made a great first impression in training camp, as linebacker Fred Warner testified.​
“We all see him make the cuts and the explosiveness he has when he touches the rock. It jumps off the field, off the tape,” Warner said. “He gets better as he’s gotten reps, and he will get more opportunities going forward. I’m excited for him.”​

Pessimistic side of me says this is the acceptable game to lose, if we're looking at realistic shot in the playoffs. NFC game, wont affect our conference record. Next week is season breaking.

4-12 is better than 8-8
The negators would say “what’s the difference, BB can easily choose a safety from DIV II at #8 or #19 !”

Andrews is back. Good news.

Josh Uche and Beau Allen not on the 53. Maybe next week. Hopefully Andrews allows the Oline to settle in and Jennings/Bentley continue to play well. Allen might help us improve the run D for the last 10 games and Uche might help with the pass rush in the 2nd half. 49ers are committed to the run so let's hope we go big on the Dline.

Pessimistic side of me says this is the acceptable game to lose, if we're looking at realistic shot in the playoffs. NFC game, wont affect our conference record. Next week is season breaking.
Win both this and next week and we control our destiny again for the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back