PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Niners trade to 3 was due to fear pats would trade up to draft Jones

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

And Niners didn't take him and pats still got Jones at 15. Seems like a miscalculation to me

And Niners didn't take him and pats still got Jones at 15. Seems like a miscalculation to me

The idea that this could be true somehow made my entire day a little brighter. Such a Jets move if it is actually the case.

I think that the 49ers wanted Lance the whole time. What might be true is that they didn't want the Pats to get Jones, leaving the Pats without a QB and in the market for Jimmy G. I can see that rationale where they move up to three. They thought that would box the Pats out of the QB market. I'm sure they didn't count on the Panthers trading for Darnold, which took them out of the QB market. So the 49ers figured that they would end up with 15 when they traded Jimmy to the Pats, so they rolled the dice and made the trade.

So let me guess this straight...the Niners wanted Jones but after they got the 3rd pick they decided on Lance? LOL. Bill couldn't have played this more perfectly.

Last edited:
So let me guess this straight...the Niners wanted Jones but after they got the 3rd pick they decided on Lance? LOL

I remember at the time there was media backlash that they would draft Mac Jones at 3 and should get lance because he's a better "prospect"

As silly as it sounds at a team listening to the media. Wonder if that changed their minds

I think that the 49ers wanted Lance the whole time. What might be true is that they didn't want the Pats to get Jones, leaving the Pats without a QB and in the market for Jimmy G. I can see that rationale where they move up to three. They thought that would box the Pats out of the QB market. I'm sure they didn't count on the Panthers trading for Darnold, which took them out of the QB market. So the 49ers figured that they would end up with 15 when they traded Jimmy to the Pats, so they rolled the dice and made the trade.
This makes 1000 percent sense.

I remember at the time there was media backlash that they would draft Mac Jones at 3 and should get lance because he's a better "prospect"

As silly as it sounds at a team listening to the media. Wonder if that changed their minds
I really don't think they did all their scouting to decide on Jones and then give up so much to move up in the draft only to read the press and trust the press report more than their own scouting. I'm sure they wanted Lance the whole time but the media assumed they were trading up for Jones.

Coming from anyone else, I'd be inclined to agree. But Adam Schefter is the gold standard of NFL reporting.
He’s not infallible. That Tweet makes no sense.

More like SF moved up so they woulnt be stuck with Jones and Jimmy.

The question is when were the 9ers concerned.

3/12- Trey Lance Pro Day. 49ers there amongst other teams
3/23- Mac Jones 1st pro day. 49ers there (which did not go great)
3/26 - Niners trade for 3rd pick
3/30- Lynch and Shanny Jr at Mac Jones 2nd workout (which went better)
4/19- Niners ran Trey Lance 2nd workout

I do think the 9ers were very interested in both QBs at one point in late March. They may have been concerned the NEP might take Jones but IMO after Mac's 2nd workout and before Trey's 2nd workout they locked in on Trey.

Shefty can easily slither out of this one (as usual) based on the scenario and timeline above.

Last edited:
I really don't think they did all their scouting to decide on Jones and then give up so much to move up in the draft only to read the press and trust the press report more than their own scouting. I'm sure they wanted Lance the whole time but the media assumed they were trading up for Jones.
It’s called changing your mind.
It’s human nature, you do all your research and your like ok I’m purchasing this car. You go to the dealership and the salesman says that’s a great car tell me did you see the new models. Yeah they are so new there’s not a lot of background or reviews on it but from what we’ve seen it’s a game changer.
It’s got more horsepower this thing flies. It’s really sexy.
I think you would look great in it. However the car you came in for is nice it’s very reliable will get you where you need to go is very comfortable great guarantee it’s fast enough.
I just thought you’d want to see this new model though. Before you made a decision maybe you should sleep on it. I’ll be honest the car your looking to upgrade is very similar to the one you came in for.
So is it really like your upgrading?

Move up that cost you 3 - 1st round picks and a 3rd to get Jones.

Take Lance istread. Makes complete sense.

This is just a bit of flavor text added to a rumor which has existed since before the draft.

The entire point is for us to read it and feel good because we got a guy who was highly coveted, but the problem is he was clearly only coveted by a maximum of one other team drafting early (SF, *allegedly*). Even if the 49ers really did love Jones, they changed their minds.

As for the "49ers wanted Mac so the Patriots would have to trade for Jimmy" logic......if you believe that, you're trying so hard to be smart that you ended up at the dumbest conclusion.

Who doesnt like lynch
Kyle Shanahan. And, it’s mutual. One will be gone next off-season regardless. If their season goes well and Trey Lance shows more promise than not, it will be Lynch who ownership shows the door. If the season doesn’t go well and Lance is a dud, Shanahan will he out.

The source on Shefter’s report is Lynch. A reminder that genius Kyle traded up to 3 for Jones but got bullied out of it by the media and SF fan base and now Jones looks like a better prospect than Lance.

He’s not infallible. That Tweet makes no sense.

It's not the first time Shanahan messed up badly on the QB front; he has a track record of doing that. SF didn't draft either Watson or Mahomes a few years ago because Shanahan was tunnel-visioning on signing Kirk Cousins in FA the next year. Word was it that there was also internal bickering over trading for Garroppolo.

Keeping in mind that the 49ers moved up two months before the actual draft, it then becomes plausible that after they moved up, there was again more internal bickering over who to pick and then they shifted from Jones to Lance.

Kyle Shanahan. And, it’s mutual. One will be gone next off-season regardless. If their season goes well and Trey Lance shows more promise than not, it will be Lynch who ownership shows the door. If the season doesn’t go well and Lance is a dud, Shanahan will he out.

The source on Shefter’s report is Lynch. A reminder that genius Kyle traded up to 3 for Jones but got bullied out of it by the media and SF fan base and now Jones looks like a better prospect than Lance.
That would be insane.
Previous reports said that Lynch was high on Lance and Shanny on Jones and it was lynch who had Shanny pull a 180.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back