Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What a nice week thinking about a big game and not having to deal with the cyber diarrhead that has been posted here all week.
So lets lets add a few facts.
First, the Future Bandwagon Jumpers of America have decided to trash Tom Brady throughout the week. He is responsible for losses, he isnt what he used to be, blah, blah, blah. There was even a thread with 'interesting stats' used to trash his play this years, so how about we take a look?

Through the first 8 games, Tom Brady has the second highest passing yards total of any QB in NFL history in the first 8 games of a season.
Under the same critieria he also has the 9th most TD passes of any QB ever in any season, the 25th best completion percentage for the 24th highest yards per attempt ever. He has completed the 7th most passes of any QB ever in the first 8 games of a season. Again those ranking are compared to the first 8 games of the season for each season by every QB.

Lets comare Brady's first half this year to his first half last year....

2011 212/321 66.% 2703 yards 8.26 ypa 20 TDs 10 ints
2010 166/261 63.6% 1826 yards 7.38 ypa14 TDs 4 Ints

So I have heard that Brady isn't what he used to be. Is no longer accurate,. etc, etc
But the facts say compared to what has been argued as the best QB season ever his completion percentage is up, those completions are resulting in a dramatic increase of almost an extra yard per attempt, and he has 6 more TDs. Yes, he has 6 more Ints. Are we judging 321 passes by 6 balls that were tipped by his own guys, the other team or thrown off track by him being hit while throwing?
Brady has thrown for more than 100 yards more per game than he did in the first half of last year, given less than 8 additional attempts.

OK, so refer here when tempted to trash Brady.
More facts regarding defense and the team overall will follow.

What a nice week thinking about a big game and not having to deal with the cyber diarrhead that has been posted here all week.
First, the Future Bandwagon Jumpers of America have decided to trash Tom Brady throughout the week. He is responsible for losses, he isnt what he used to be, blah, blah, blah. There was even a thread with 'interesting stats' used to trash his play this years, so how about we take a look?

Through the first 8 games, Tom Brady has the second highest passing yards total of any QB in NFL history in the first 8 games of a season.
Under the same critieria he also has the 9th most TD passes of any QB ever in any season, the 25th best completion percentage for the 24th highest yards per attempt ever. He has completed the 7th most passes of any QB ever in the first 8 games of a season. Again those ranking are compared to the first 8 games of the season for each season by every QB.

So I have heard that Brady isn't what he used to be. Is no longer accurate,. etc, etc
But the facts say compared to what has been argued as the best QB season ever his completion percentage is up, those completions are resulting in a dramatic increase of almost an extra yard per attempt, and he has 6 more TDs. Yes, he has 6 more Ints. Are we judging 321 passes by 6 balls that were tipped by his own guys, the other team or thrown off track by him being hit while throwing?
Brady has thrown for more than 100 yards more per game than he did in the first half of last year, given less than 8 additional attempts.

Sad to think there might be some folks here clueless enough not to appreciate probably the BEST NFL coach-quarterback tandem ever to take the field together. The last 10 years have gone by pretty fast. The current season and the three or four to come before Brady bows out are to be savored.

So shall we then ignore those turnovers, that directly results in at least 2 of the three losses this team has? If he didn't throw that pick seven in the Buffalo game in the third or fourth quarter it was, the Pats probably win that game, and that was just one of 4 turnovers that game. He was responsible for 3 turnovers in the Giants game, one inside the Pats 20 yard line. I don't remember since when turning the ball over became insignificant in losing and winning football games (I guess since Tom Brady started throwing them in an alarming rate, just like stats used to be for losers when Manning and the colts were accumulating stats back in the day during the regular season, and choking in the playoffs, how the thinking has changed around these parts).

Last edited:
Now lets move to the defense.
General consensus appears to be that the defense has disgressed, BB is a moron, there is no chance of improvement, etc, etc, etc, etc.
So lets look at last year vs this year at this point.
PASS D through 8 games

210-324 64.8% 2512 yards 14 TD 10 int 15 sacks
206-294 70.1% 2151 yards 13 TD 9 Ints 13 sacks
The difference is 2011 has allowed 4 extra completions in 30 extra attempts, but the yards per completion has gone up to create 360 more yards.
The perception that last years team could get Ints and this years cannot, is untrue through the first 8 games and 2011 has more sacks.

You may say that looks very similar with the only difference being teams are throwing down the field more so fewer are complete but the ones that are go for more yards so bad to bad is bad to bad.
So lets take a look at the 2ND HALF pass D of the 2010 team, because remember it would be a total ignorant homer koolaid swinging concept to think the D will improve.

Patriot pass D week 9-16 last year
182-317 57.4% 1985 yards 12 TD 16 Ints 23 sacks

Of course we all remember that game 9 last year was vs Pitt when we had a huge lead and Rburger threw up pointless stats vs prevent so if we look at the last 7 games we see:

152-268 56.7% 1636 yards 9 TDs 15 Ints 18 sacks

As with most of the drivel that has been posted on this board lately it would appear wrong to say that the defense cannot improve dramatically.
We all know the points allowed stats and how dramatically they declined as the coaching staff continued to coach the defense to improve week to week like they do every year so I wont both with that.

So shall we then ignore those turnovers, that directly results in at least 2 of the three losses this team has? If he didn't throw that pick seven in the Buffalo game in the third or fourth quarter it was, the Pats probably win that game, and that was just one of 4 turnovers that game. He was responsible for 3 turnovers in the Giants game, one inside the Pats 20 yard line. I don't remember since when turning the ball over became insignificant in losing and winning football games (I guess since Tom Brady started throwing them in an alarming rate, just like stats used to be for losers when Manning and the colts were accumulating stats back in the day during the regular season, and choking in the playoffs, how the thinking has changed around these parts).

You need to consider those turnovers in context. About half of them, including the Buffalo pick-six, were flukey bounces, tips, and o-line breakdowns. Take those away and you wouldn't be attempting to make a point. Also consider the fact that as often as the Patriots throw, the occasional interception is bound to occur regardless.

On pace for 20 interceptions and has probably thrown more redzone INTs this season than he has in his career combined.

To me that's all that really matters. TB is making mistakes at crucial moments and turning the ball over more often than most QBs, which is something he almost completely avoided last season. For that reason I really can't see this as a "historic" season.

EDIT: Like Peyton Manning once said, every interception has its story but no one wants to hear it. Tipped ball or not, at the end of the day the only thing that counts is that INT on the stat box.

Last edited:
So now lets look at the team overall, compared to last years 14-2 team, since the general opinion here is that the 2011 team sucks and will be lucky to make the playoffs, maybe even to have a winning record.

Last season 6-2 219 points scored 188 points allowed
This season 5-3 222 points scored 184 points allowed.

The difference?
Last season at the end of the game with Baltimore driving for a game winning score, we stopped them (some say we were lucky) at about the 4 yard line. This year with Buffalo driving for a game winning score we werent able to.
That is the differnece between the 2011 first half and the 2010 first half that turned into a 8-0 2nd half. Yeah, I think this board is overreacting just a bit.

Oh, the other difference? Last year the teams we played in the first 8 games were 27-37 in their first 8 and this years opponents are 35-29 in their first 8.

Brady beat up Ds that weren't ready for the season. Just as weekly scoring has come back to Earth, so hasn't Brady's yard stats. He gets props for moving the ball late in recent games, but check out his INTs...all on first or 2nd down....he's forcing it when he doesn't have to.

AndyJohnson needs to grab a beer and CALM DOWN. While at it, wouldn't hurt to pull the stick out his arse.

The team hasn't played well this season so stop TAKING IT PERSONALLY that people criticize the team.

All AJ ever posts are positive things only. This is the same guy who repeatedly posted about how good Laurence Maroney was a few years ago and how anyone who said otherwise was a bandwagon moron who posted "drivel".

Last edited:
Now lets move to the defense.
General consensus appears to be that the defense has disgressed, BB is a moron, there is no chance of improvement, etc, etc, etc, etc.
So lets look at last year vs this year at this point.
PASS D through 8 games

210-324 64.8% 2512 yards 14 TD 10 int 15 sacks
206-294 70.1% 2151 yards 13 TD 9 Ints 13 sacks
The difference is 2011 has allowed 4 extra completions in 30 extra attempts, but the yards per completion has gone up to create 360 more yards.
The perception that last years team could get Ints and this years cannot, is untrue through the first 8 games and 2011 has more sacks.

You may say that looks very similar with the only difference being teams are throwing down the field more so fewer are complete but the ones that are go for more yards so bad to bad is bad to bad.
So lets take a look at the 2ND HALF pass D of the 2010 team, because remember it would be a total ignorant homer koolaid swinging concept to think the D will improve.

Patriot pass D week 9-16 last year
182-317 57.4% 1985 yards 12 TD 16 Ints 23 sacks

Of course we all remember that game 9 last year was vs Pitt when we had a huge lead and Rburger threw up pointless stats vs prevent so if we look at the last 7 games we see:

152-268 56.7% 1636 yards 9 TDs 15 Ints 18 sacks

As with most of the drivel that has been posted on this board lately it would appear wrong to say that the defense cannot improve dramatically.
We all know the points allowed stats and how dramatically they declined as the coaching staff continued to coach the defense to improve week to week like they do every year so I wont both with that.

Another good dose of perspective, Andy. Thanks for pulling that info together.

So when people are saying his accuracy is off, and he isn't playing as well, the facts that he is playing better, and is more accurate is irrelevant to you because you are entitled to wins, and since we are one game behind the pace set by last years 14-2 team, you must simply trash whoever you choose to without facts?
You should find something else to cry about and give up on football, because sadly as a fan you do not have an entitlement to winning.

You need to consider those turnovers in context. About half of them, including the Buffalo pick-six, were flukey bounces, tips, and o-line breakdowns. Take those away and you wouldn't be attempting to make a point. Also consider the fact that as often as the Patriots throw, the occasional interception is bound to occur regardless.

So at what point will they stop being flukes, it seemed to me that Buffalo was making a legit effort at tipping passes at the line in that game, after the second tip interception. And even if you take all those away from the Buffalo game, that still doesn't take the Giants game interceptions away, which contributed to that lost, or those cowboys interception. BTW, can I take away that last drive by the Pats against the cowboys since we are taking away things that do not make our points?

So when people are saying his accuracy is off, and he isn't playing as well, the facts that he is playing better, and is more accurate is irrelevant to you because you are entitled to wins, and since we are one game behind the pace set by last years 14-2 team, you must simply trash whoever you choose to without facts?
You should find something else to cry about and give up on football, because sadly as a fan you do not have an entitlement to winning.

20 interceptions.

IMO Brady is without a doubt playing the worst football of his career. I don't care about yards or completion % or whatever. He's turning the ball over and that's costing this team points.

Come on guys, numbers don't paint the complete picture. I agree with andyjohnson that the defense is not that bad. The offense is the problem right now. Those offense numbers you produced are skewed by the first 3 games of the season. You cannot deny that the offense has struggled since the oakland game. We have not scored more than 20 points in 3 games (2 at home). Eye test andyjohnson

AndyJohnson needs to grab a beer and CALM DOWN. While at it, wouldn't hurt to pull the stick out his arse.
I am very calm. I ignored the idiot factor all week by staying away.

The team hasn't played well this season so stop TAKING IT PERSONALLY that people criticize the team.
Please explain how pointing out ignorance equates to taking it personally.

All AJ ever posts are positive things only.
Not correct, but given the fact that this franchise has been epic for the last 10 years and a large faction of the fan base does not appreciate it, does not understand it, and feels entitled to winning every game because they decided to be a fan, they is certainly a lot more ignorant negativity to reply to than ignorant overexxageration about the success of the franchise.
If we were discussing your intellect and it was 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, my response would seem equally positive and negative. But when it really is a 1, I would seem like a HOMER in arguing your stupiditiy because there is much room to be wrong by calling yuo smarter than you are and little or none to call you dumber. See how that works. Oh, maybe you can't....

This is the same guy who repeatedly posted about how good Laurence Maroney was a few years ago and how anyone who said otherwise was a bandwagon moron who posted "drivel".
Well there is something you just totally made up.

Come on guys, numbers don't paint the complete picture. I agree with andyjohnson that the defense is not that bad. The offense is the problem right now. Those offense numbers you produced are skewed by the first 3 games of the season. You cannot deny that the offense has struggled since the oakland game. We have not scored more than 20 points in 3 games (2 at home). Eye test andyjohnson
It is an eye test. The offense has looked BETTER through 8 weeks this year than it did through 8 weeks last year. The fact that it improved as the season wore on, is exactly the point.

20 interceptions.

IMO Brady is without a doubt playing the worst football of his career. I don't care about yards or completion % or whatever. He's turning the ball over and that's costing this team points.
He has thrown 20 Interceptions? Really. Damn I can't believe I missed half of them

I guess it depends on what facts you want to ignore, in your initial post you decided to gloss over the turnovers which were a major contributor to two of the losses this team suffered. If you consider pointing out the obvious trashing, then we simply have a different understanding of what trashing someone is.

Brady beat up Ds that weren't ready for the season. Just as weekly scoring has come back to Earth, so hasn't Brady's yard stats. He gets props for moving the ball late in recent games, but check out his INTs...all on first or 2nd down....he's forcing it when he doesn't have to.
A large number of those Ints are on balls tipped of his own receivers hands to defenders that werent really even close to the play, or tipped by DL.
You simply cannot critique judgment on those type of Ints.
They were there last year, too, its simply a matter of which way the ball bounces.
The judgment issue I may agree with is that he has thrown about 4 of those when he was hit while throwing the ball misdirecting the pass, so you can argue he should have taken a sack, but thats a tough argument to make unless you want Rob Johnson as your QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes