NFL's "fake" season 2020

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From the cancellation of preseason games to key players opting out and beyond, I knew this would be a season not to be taken seriously. Roster and lineup holes from guys testing positive for Covid-19, teams getting shut down and shut out from practicing, games rescheduled, travel altered, team meetings held virtually ... Also no fans in most stadiums where recorded cheers and boos go over the PA -- pretty much EVERYTHING about this season seems slipshod or half-assed. And the Patriots have become poster boys for why pro football doesn't work well during a pandemic. Would New England still be 2-4 without the virus? Maybe, but I doubt it.

What I do know, speaking as a 27-year season ticket holder, is that too many pandemic-related compromises have hampered this team and the league overall to where we more or less have a "fake" season happening. It just ain't the real McCoy out there regardless how the NFL dresses things up for TV. I suppose it's better than nothing but the passion I normally feel isn't there -- not because the Patriots aren't doing great, that was pretty much expected. More because the virus and accompanying institutional complications have forced them to do it with one hand tied behind their collective back.

So, whatever happens the rest of this season and until some semblance of "normalcy" returns, the Pats get a pass from me.

Funny a “fake season” thread appears a few hours after we lose one of our worst games in years. Covid or not this team’s talent on offence was going to be its Achilles Heel.

People, stop making excuses. 32 football teams had shortened training camps. 32 teams had no preseason. 32 teams have one hand tied behind their backs. 32 teams are playing with zero or minimal fans in the stands.

I thought this was all supposed to work to our advantage... you know, great coaching and all....

It's hard to coach effectively when key players opt out for the season, others variably are forced to quarantine and still others encounter problems from lack of routine prep and practice. I'm sure BB's presence alone mitigates some of that but the pandemic has messed up a lot of things beyond his control.

It does have a fake feel to it. Hurts other teams too though. Look at Seattle and the HFA they don’t have this year...

From the cancellation of preseason games to key players opting out and beyond, I knew this would be a season not to be taken seriously. Roster and lineup holes from guys testing positive for Covid-19, teams getting shut down and shut out from practicing, games rescheduled, travel altered, team meetings held virtually ... Also no fans in most stadiums where recorded cheers and boos go over the PA -- pretty much EVERYTHING about this season seems slipshod or half-assed. And the Patriots have become poster boys for why pro football doesn't work well during a pandemic. Would New England still be 2-4 without the virus? Maybe, but I doubt it.

What I do know, speaking as a 27-year season ticket holder, is that too many pandemic-related compromises have hampered this team and the league overall to where we more or less have a "fake" season happening. It just ain't the real McCoy out there regardless how the NFL dresses things up for TV. I suppose it's better than nothing but the passion I normally feel isn't there -- not because the Patriots aren't doing great, that was pretty much expected. More because the virus and accompanying institutional complications have forced them to do it with one hand tied behind their collective back.

So, whatever happens the rest of this season and until some semblance of "normalcy" returns, the Pats get a pass from me.
Now every team but the Superbowl winner gets a pass. I know what you're trying to say but every team got dealt weird hands this year. Pats are playing it horribly. They have a lot of responsibility for where they are right now

It's hard to coach effectively when key players opt out for the season,
Or when you get rid of your superstar QB with no plan whatsoever
others variably are forced to quarantine
and still others encounter problems from lack of routine prep and practice.
I'm sure BB's presence alone mitigates some of that but the pandemic has messed up a lot of things beyond his control.
32 coaches are dealing with the pandemic right now.

People, stop making excuses. 32 football teams had shortened training camps. 32 teams had no preseason. 32 teams have one hand tied behind their backs. 32 teams are playing with zero or minimal fans in the stands.
Reeks of excuses. The team just isn’t good right now.
Funny a “fake season” thread appears a few hours after we lose one of our worst games in years. Covid or not this team’s talent on offence was going to be its Achilles Heel.

My OP absolutely is not about excuse-making, I felt this way before the season started when six Patriots opted out. They'd be better sans pandemic issues, that's a fact.

This is why it was, or hell is the reason to tank for Trevor. Nobody will care in the future that the Pats went 2-14 and got Lawerence. That won't even be a thought. Instead, going 5-11 or 6-10 is just more ammo to the they suck and its done. They would be right as a treadmill team goes nowhere. So yes its a crap season, and also provides a major opportunity.

32 coaches are dealing with the pandemic right now.

You don't know what the Pats' post-Brady QB plan was, you're just guessing. Yes, 32 coaches are dealing with the pandemic. Only one of them lost six players including three full-time starters to it for the season and was forced to sit his starting quarterback for a game because of it.

Don't pay attention to little "prancerman", Tunes....he's a troll

You don't know what the Pats' post-Brady QB plan was, you're just guessing.
We had Hoyer and Stidham all summer then stumbled ass backwards into Newton at cheap dollars. And all 3 of 'em suck.
Yes, 32 coaches are dealing with the pandemic. Only one of them lost six players including three full-time starters to it for the season and was forced to sit his starting quarterback for a game because of it.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. This team is far beyond blaming the pandemic for their woes.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back