PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN: America's Game - 2001 Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still get goosebumps when gino makes that call after vinateri's game winning field goal. Oh and vinateri, from your mouth to God's ears. Chilling contrast really.

On Thurs, 98.5 played a montage of Gil & Gino's calls during the Snow Bowl. Such great memories.

Last edited:
he takes the cheese!!

Greatest line from Brady EVER!

I've always thought of Dexter McCleon as a mouse since that.

yep, and in contrast, I didn't like the 2004 'America's game' as much as the others. I feel like it lacked substance in comparison and they were trying to prove something to critics who hated them. But then again, I wasn't around to witness any of this during the moment so I have different interpretation as opposed to everyone who were football fans 2001-2004.

2004 was sweet also.

That was during the 21 straight roll.

Then to get kicked in the arse by Pittsburgh on Halloween.

Then to go 14-2 and NOT be the top seed!

Then to viciously beat down Peyton Manning in his THEN record setting TD season of 49 ("It will stand forever") 20-3. Does anyone REALIZE what a complete "In Your Face" that was to Peyton and the Media????? That was the game that produced the classic Bruschi television rant to Sal Palantonio on the field after the game.

Then to go on the road to 15-1 Pittsburgh and CRUSH them 41-27 (it wasn't that close) when Brady had the flu for 2 days before the game and LITERALLY was in bed taking fluids intravenously in the hotel room the night before the game.

Then to endure the next 2 weeks of Terrell Owens 24/7 - - which was media overkill and oversell unmatched for 7 years - - until Tebow Time. THIS pissed me off the most - -the Patriots had accomplished one of the greatest seasons ever, went 14-2, and then decimated two of the best playoff teams ever (record setting TD QB shut out from TDs and 15-1 team embarrassed at home) and all the media could talk about was the mentally unstable WR on the other team - - when it wasn't talking about the OTHER mentally unstable WR on that, Freddy Mitchell.

Well, excellence and substance still won that Super Bowl.And the next several weeks was dominated in the media only by talk and debate over whether the 3 out of 4 Patriots were a "Dynasty".

Sorry for the long answer, but - YES - 2004 was plenty sweet. Plenty sweet.

Last edited:
I'm sure hoping the 2011 team goes all the way because the storylines that are developing around this team are pretty compelling.

1. The Defense: It's been under fire all year long. If they can keep playing well, they will shut alot of people up.

2. Playing for Bob Kraft. "This team has been a savior for me.". Pretty powerful stuff.

3. Quest for 4 SB in 10 years.

4. Brady & BBs quest for 4 SBs.

5. It's a small consolation but IF they play and BEAT the Giants in the SB...man o man.

Win or lose this team has been a pretty likable bunch.

03 and 04 were special teams but for me winning it all will put this team in the 01 neighborhood on the "likability" scale.

Last edited:
On Thurs, 98.5 played a montage of Gil & Gino's calls during the Snow Bowl. Such great memories.

They played it repeatedly, and every time I was in range I cranked that sucker to relive the moment. I was one of the few I guess who knew the tuck rule and called it immediately and then knew the instant Walt opened his mouth we were going to the superbowl. Never doubted it. Ah to be innocent again. My head told me having gotten there a win wasn't terribly likely, and I was OK with that on some level. Then the other moment and only one ever to top that for me as far as a moment in time when I just knew it was when a cranky Pat Summerall basically spat out "choosing to be introduced as a team...". And my immediate reaction was to blurt out OMG, they are going to win this mf'ing game...

I believed they'd win in 2003 and 2004, but that was different...because both my head and my heart were clear about it from the get go. 2001 was something else altogether. So in some ways nothing will ever top that. Just underscore it's significance. Because if that season hadn't unfolded and ended the way it did I'm not sure either Bill or Tom would still be here. And what Robert said yesterday about the external forces being brought to bear on him at that time just reinforced that belief for me.

Last edited:
"Choosing to be introduced as a team"

Chills...

It was also funny hearing Milloy talk about how that started- with the PA announcer in Cincinnati screwing up and starting the introductions before they were all in the tunnel and ready to run out, so they waited, said screw it, and all ran out together. Then they got killed. I'm glad they kept doing it though.

It was great hearing Adam talk about the FG vs. the Raiders sending it to OT, that maybe he would make that kick 1 time in 10, that the Pat's TO let them clear off snow and then Gruden's TO let them clear off even moire snow for his plant foot.

Favorite season ever

It was also funny hearing Milloy talk about how that started- with the PA announcer in Cincinnati screwing up and starting the introductions before they were all in the tunnel and ready to run out, so they waited, said screw it, and all ran out together. Then they got killed. I'm glad they kept doing it though.

I was at that game and watched them get their asses kicked. Little did I know I was witnessing an important part of Patriots history.....

A few things. By far the most nervous tension filled season I've ever experienced as a fan. Probably the most gratifying and unbelievable feeling considering you just didn't associate Lombardi trophies with the New England Patriots. This was the team that would find a way to not get it done. Now it's completely reversed. They find a way to get it done and you expect it every year.

The presentation is excellent and surrounds you with the drama and exploits of the season. Some funny tidbits with Belichick sarcasm calling for a 4th grader poll for the Brady Bledsoe debate. Loved his steel like response when he made the final decision on his QB and addressed it publicly.

What bothered me? Not seeing Troy Brown's return and the blocked FG returned for a TD's. The Vrabel/Law hit/int for the TD in the Bowl. Small stuff considering they only have so much footage they can put into a 1 hour show. That's why you record the game in its entirety or buy 3 Games to Glory. 1,2,3.

Overall it was very good. Probably seen them all 3 or 4 times but like another poster mentioned it never get's old watching America's game. I'd love to see a new one though.

If there was a 2011 I wonder who would commentate.

I didnt mean narrate but the players who would be on.

Biggest upset ever?

Yeah, I know technically SB42 was the biggest upset ever but I remember a bunch of people calling that Vegas line total BS considering how the Giants nearly took down the Pats in the regular season. A lot of people even picked the Giants to win, like Bill Plaschke and Si.com's Dr.Z.

Hmm..I think the Patriots beating the Rams was a bigger upset than Giants/Patriots. Strangely, I think the fact the games were rematches helped the results on the SB.

Biggest upset ever?

Yeah, I know technically SB42 was the biggest upset ever but I remember a bunch of people calling that Vegas line total BS considering how the Giants nearly took down the Pats in the regular season. A lot of people even picked the Giants to win, like Bill Plaschke and Si.com's Dr.Z.

they don't understand a Vegas line...it has ZERO to do with how the matchups are...it's all based on getting even money bet on both sides of the line...if it takes the Pats by thirty points to get money bet evenly on both sides , then THAT is the line....

I still love John Madden's "I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing here." to "I kind of like what they are doing. Tom Brady is so cool". Hahaha cracks me up each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick