PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Week 8 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver has been a thorn in the side of the Pats for all of the B&B era (including both games last year) and I see fans overlooking them constantly, in this thread and others. If you don't like me pointing that out then the solution is just a click away for you.

Thinking the Pats are the better team this year is not overlooking. 2015 has absolute zero to do with 2016. You people that **** your pants over denver need to realize that just because they won both games by a combined 8 points had absolutely no bearing on what happens this year. Just like what happened in 2014 when the Pats absolutely embarrassed them and had them scared to come to Foxboro so they lost at home to Andrew Luck and the colts had zero to do with what happened in 2015.

I disagree with what you are claiming here completely. Denver went through the same cyclical crap as the Ravens, Steelers, Colts and all of our other threats go through whereas we are the only constant over the last almost 15 years - except for the lost year of 2008 which was still pretty successful on its own. They were not a constant thorn in our sides as you like to point out.

Also, it is not disrespect to point out that Denver needs now things to go their way in games to be productive and play successful football. Sometimes they can force this by being a pretty good defense and sometimes they can't but continue to get bailed out by the bounce of footballs or other random factors. If both things dont happen they will lose games. Either way, what remains is that this is not a truly dominant team anymore because they don't have a consistently dependable offense in an age where most of the rules in the NFL are biased towards that.

They are on a downward slope to be a pretty good but not elite team like the Ravens of 2012+. Now whether Elway can fix that in FA is a different story but that's future talk.

What bothers me most about all of this is the media's need to label everything with hyperboles. First it was the Seattle defense that was the greatest thing ever, right now its Denver. Everything that happens now or comes next has to be even better and if it's not then we just invent/dig out some stats that will still give us our narrative because that's the idiotic society we live in. Denver's defense is nothing special in the context of history.. all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

Finally, let me emphasize again for clarity.. they are still a good team relative to the rest of the AFC but not on the same tier as we are right now.

- The Broncos beat Brady's Pats the first two times they played.
- The Pats won the next game in 03.
- The Broncos won the next four times, 05 regular season and playoffs, 06 and 09.
- The Pats answered back with four straight of their own, 11 twice, 12 and 13, but then lost in the playoffs in 13.
- The Pats won in 2014 but the Broncos won both in 2015.

That leaves the Pats under Brady at 5-6 vs the Broncos in the regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. Easily the best any team has done against Brady. That feels pretty thorny to me.

Thinking the Pats are the better team this year is not overlooking. 2015 has absolute zero to do with 2016. You people that **** your pants over denver need to realize that just because they won both games by a combined 8 points had absolutely no bearing on what happens this year. Just like what happened in 2014 when the Pats absolutely embarrassed them and had them scared to come to Foxboro so they lost at home to Andrew Luck and the colts had zero to do with what happened in 2015.
They definitely aren't very scary if they come here... might not even need to win in Denver to do it with the schedule they have left.

- The Broncos beat Brady's Pats the first two times they played.
- The Pats won the next game in 03.
- The Broncos won the next four times, 05 regular season and playoffs, 06 and 09.
- The Pats answered back with four straight of their own, 11 twice, 12 and 13, but then lost in the playoffs in 13.
- The Pats won in 2014 but the Broncos won both in 2015.

That leaves the Pats under Brady at 5-6 vs the Broncos in the regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. Easily the best any team has done against Brady. That feels pretty thorny to me.

The Broncos have lost their last 5 games @ Gillette Stadium.

Playing them @ Denver is a completely different animal than playing them at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back