PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL to allow 2 players to return from IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now make all 53 players on the roster active on game day.

Not a good idea. Often times(always?) a team doesn't have 53 players that can actually play due to short term injuries.

Unless you want to see more games decided by injuries you can't make the entire roster active unless you eliminate IR and turn it into a more MLB style disabled list. And honestly that wouldn't even work well since its hard for a player to be ready to contribute with less than a week of practice.

It also disadvantages teams that carry 3 QBs, since realisticly speaking the 3rd QB isn't going to be a contributor.

Now make all 53 players on the roster active on game day.

There's a very specific reason that the game day roster isn't 53. Go back to 2013, when the Pats were banged up, and many weeks it was a struggle to find 46 healthy players. Now imagine that team having to play an opponent with 52 or 53 healthy players. It gives the latter team an even bigger advantage.

I'd be OK with changing the rule to make "game day inactives" into "emergency players" who can enter the game if (and only if) a player on the 46 is ruled out.

Would be nice if a team could move players to/from the practice squad w/o having to go through waivers

and honestly...just make every player able to come back from IR just make it so that they cant play for the next 2 months or something

There's a very specific reason that the game day roster isn't 53. Go back to 2013, when the Pats were banged up, and many weeks it was a struggle to find 46 healthy players. Now imagine that team having to play an opponent with 52 or 53 healthy players. It gives the latter team an even bigger advantage.

I'd be OK with changing the rule to make "game day inactives" into "emergency players" who can enter the game if (and only if) a player on the 46 is ruled out.
Sounds to me like each team needs to construct the best and smartest 53 man roster possible and not use rules as a crutch or an excuse

not very nice for the player though. "we're going to move you to the practice squad and cut your pay even though another team would probably put you on their active roster."
What they need to do is if they are promoted pay them what the vet min is for a game. If they do it 3 times or "is out of options" they need to either release the player of guarantee the vet min.

I want a DL, a larger practice squad and an upgrade to the waiver process (NFL minor leagues is a dream of mine, even though it would never work.) It would only benefit the NFL, the teams and the players if players could have more specific recovery times during the season, and they had more competent backups resulting in more entertaining football (you listening Roger?) More health conscious for the players, and a better overall product..... that's what we're aiming for, right commish?

Baby steps.

and honestly...just make every player able to come back from IR just make it so that they cant play for the next 2 months or something

They should have various "disabled lists" like MLB.

4 week DL
8 week DL
12 week DL
injured reserve

Then make the practice squad guys be able to move up and down as the team needs, without waivers. The moment they move up, their pay goes up considerably. Of course, there are also random FA guys wandering around to fill holes if you need to as well.

Like robertweathers' idea:

What they need to do is if they are promoted pay them what the vet min is for a game. If they do it 3 times or "is out of options" they need to either release the player of guarantee the vet min.

It's really not that hard. I never understood why the NFL went with injured reserve, so if a player was hurt for what looked like half a year in week 2, you basically had to put him out of commission for the entire year on IR. Made no sense.

I think the injured reserve stuff started because the redskins were stashing players on the dl a couple of decades ago.

At one point in league history, the team's used to have 49 guys active on game day. That seems like something that would work well in today's game.

Hopefully the league approved 2 guys coming back from the dl.

Now they need to focus on an 18 game season and only two preseason games.

I think the injured reserve stuff started because the redskins were stashing players on the dl a couple of decades ago.

At one point in league history, the team's used to have 49 guys active on game day. That seems like something that would work well in today's game.

Hopefully the league approved 2 guys coming back from the dl.

Now they need to focus on an 18 game season and only two preseason games.

They vote next week.

As for an 18-game season, a serious question: who would the opponents be?

The NFL is star driven and yet many stars are able to come back but teams don't want to take a chance and IR them. Teams should be able to designate 25 "starters" that are automatically able to return from IR and then have two exemptions.

They vote next week.

One option:
Right now the schedule is 6 games in your division, 4 games from the one division in your own conference that rotates on a three year cycle, 2 games from the other two divisions in your conference from the teams that finished in your same position ( first, second, third or last) the year before and 4 games from one of the other divisions in the "other" conference that rotates on a four year cycle.
To add two games, you could either add two games from your own conference using a version of the existing format or from the other conference. I would probably prefer the other conference because then you would see teams you other wise would only see every four years ( Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers, Lions ( jk on Det))
The problem with doing it based on record from the previous year is that then 4 games or a quarter of your schedule is potentially tougher than a team in your division, versus the current 2/16 games....
Solution-
keep the current format but for the extra two games take the 12 teams n the other conference that you are not playing and divide it up into 6 groups of two and play them. Then you would play a team in the other conference every two plus years as opposed to every four in the regular season. So it would be current schedule
This year Pats play NO, TB, Atl, Carolina,
Pats don't play Dallas, NYG, PHL Wash, Minn, Chic, Det, GB, SF, Ariz, LAR, or Sea.
Pick two of group two and set up a formula where there are 6 interconference games.....
You would have a lot more interesting games., I'd like to see the PAts play Dallas, Phl, NYG , GB, Sea or Arizona......
Just a thought..............

Its a step in the right direction.. I'm liking the evolution and direction that the IR rules are going in

I know the rule change seems pretty simple, but I can't wait to see what Bill and Ernie come up with that nobody else has thought of yet. We all know it's coming. :D

They vote next week.

I'd prefer to see them dump the 4 division setup and work off of that, but the way it is now how about;
Every AFC team plays the normal home and away vs their division for 6 games.
Every AFC team plays 2 of the 3 remaining AFC divisions for 8 games.
Every AFC team plays 1 NFC division for 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes